Top Shelf Aquatics

Mirya's Mini Garden (Nuvo 8) - Yasha Love Shack

Mirya

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Wheelers and the Hi-Fins are cute. :)

I wonder what the likelihood of me being able to find a pair of Flabelligobius is...

Flabelligobius_Blog_2.jpg

Those sure do look nice but after searching for them good luck finding a pair. Not listed anywhere for sale and what I did find was from years back and someone posted 400 bucks for a pair :blink:

I do like the high fins weather it is the red banded or a yashi.

I've signed up for daily alerts on incoming stock on Diver's Den, I'll start poking Blue Zoo's website regularly, and I have the owner of one of my old LFS in Columbus keeping an eye out for me on the lists. (Blue Zoo currently has White Cap Shrimp gobies up which are semi-rare.) I know it'll be some time before they pop up (if at all), and they will be pricey when they do show up. But I think I'm ready. My 8 is a mature system. Now that I'm settling down into a permanent career position too, I'm willing to plunge into more expensive fish.

Edit: Oh and I should shout out to POTO, a sponsor here. I've contacted them about the goby as well. They seem to take great care of their fish.

Good luck! It's funny how often we end up just piling some rocks together and throwing water in just to make sure something doesn't die. The really funny thing is how it often ends up looking just as good or even better :lol:

Isn't that the truth, I tried to dump a whole bunch of rocks and rfas into the 20g to save them.

• 4 weeks later...

Not much to say about this tank currently. I have a bunch of feelers out for a Flabelligobius but no hits so far. I figured it would be a several month hunt, if even successful though.

Most of my coral is in the frag tank, since that minimizes my work. Only things in here are my pistol shrimp, corals attached to the rock, my spiral wire corals since it is easier to feed them in this tank, a cluster of Blasto merletti that are just happier in this tank than in the frag tank for some reason, and my new Pectinia, since I don't have to worry about it zapping anything in this tank, and macroalgae.

FTS:

FTS_zpszmfljq8o.jpg

Happy little B merlettis I bought from Coral Gardens:

Merletti_zpsgmesnwnm.jpg

My new frag of Space Invader Pectinia. It is a shame my picture didn't pick up how it is almost sparkly when you look at it closely:

Pectinia_zpsghflchau.jpg

Finally next to some of my Papaya Clove Polyps are a bunch of baby mushrooms. I used to have my LC Wish I Were a Bounce Shroom in this tank sitting here, but moved it out when I moved the tank. The shroom had attached a little bit of its foot to the live rock though which I ripped when I removed it. Now the remnants are turning into a bunch of babies:

BabyShrooms_zps881unuwx.jpg

I love the color of the macro there, the yellow/green in contrast w/ the red. Should look pretty with the cloves and shrooms. Ever check out Shroom Room on FB? Some crazy shrooms, crazy prices, insane rather.

• 3 weeks later...

A pair of Yasha gobies came up on Diver's Den last week and I couldn't resist. I will definitely grab the Magnificent Shrimp Goby if I ever see one, but I so missed having buddies for Shrimp. And I thought a pair of Yasha would be fun.

This was my first time getting fish through mail order. Packing was suburb and the fish looked good in the packaging. I drip acclimated them and they are now exploring the tank. Unfortunately, Shrimp still has his burrow closed up (some nights he makes a door of rubble across the entrance), so he doesn't know about his new life partners yet.

HarryPotter

A pair of Yasha gobies came up on Diver's Den last week and I couldn't resist. I will definitely grab the Magnificent Shrimp Goby if I ever see one, but I so missed having buddies for Shrimp. And I thought a pair of Yasha would be fun.

This was my first time getting fish through mail order. Packing was suburb and the fish looked good in the packaging. I drip acclimated them and they are now exploring the tank. Unfortunately, Shrimp still has his burrow closed up (some nights he makes a door of rubble across the entrance), so he doesn't know about his new life partners yet.

Picture? :)

Picture? :)

I should have photographed them while they were acclimating! Also for a mostly orange fish in a Homer bucket, there wouldn't have been much to see. Currently they are both hiding in the tank -- either under the big ball of Codium or in a rockwork crevice.

Here's DD picture of them:

_cfimg-7056801886998715149.PNG

Well I can find the male -- he is wedged in my rock. The female I haven't seen in a day and a half now. Last time I saw her she was also wedged in the rock. Neither seemed to have realized they are in the tank with a pistol shrimp. I'm a little worried that they haven't eaten.

Of course, before I put them in this tank I did contemplate putting them in an unlandscaped quarantine tank, so I could keep an eye on them, but then didn't want to deal with another tank. Gah, I'm kicking myself wondering if I should have. I may still do so, so I can keep a better eye on them.

I dismantled the rockscape tonight...

And under the rock where Shrimp has his burrow, I found both Yasha gobies. I got a dirty look like, "Hey, we were just enjoying this nice Love Shack the Shrimp built us. Let us have some peace!"

So I guess they're fine. I'll try feeding in a bit and see if they make an appearance. If not, I at least have confidence that Shrimp will bring them some food.

This looks awesome Mirya

Awe shucks, thanks Kat. Interesting to see the tank from someone else's eyes. I'm kinda sad since there is barely any coral in the tank right now... but it does look cool with all the macros...

I love that green macro in front, codium?

Yes it is! It was growing it a big beautiful clump in the Florida tank, but kinda broke apart in the move. I put it in here for now so the emerald crabs in the frag tank don't eat it.

My Yashas are still being dicks and hanging out under a rock with Shrimp. There are a lot less rocks in the tank now, and I still never see them or get to feed them. I'll have had them for a week as of tomorrow. :/

However, in happy Yasha news, Rising Tide Conservation just announced they got some Yasha larvae to settlement! Here is a video of a nest of Yasha eggs hatching:

Here is one of the settled babies, along with their caption from Facebook about the process:

1400427_1028942033839635_746001628917675

The team at Roger Williams University now have two Yasha goby cohorts becoming juveniles. The process started around day 30 with the larvae starting to settle on the tank walls and bottom as clear larvae. Metamorphosis started around 35 with the majority completing metamorphosis by day 50. The oldest cohort is 100% through settlement/metamorphosis and the second oldest cohort (much more larvae) is just starting. There is some size variation at morphing, but most are around 1-1.5 cm. Here's a 40 dph image. Stay tuned for the glamour shots of the late development larvae & juveniles.

Hopefully they come around. As a whole aren't they more shy? I had one once, and I saw him so rarely to be even able to get him food and he kinda disappeared.

Sorry the yashas aren't cooperating. Hopefully they get braver as time goes on. I remember by YWG was disappointing at first because he was super shy and always down in his burrow. I ended up having him for over 3 years before he passed away and he ended up being so outgoing and not the least bit shy. Just takes time for them to feel safe I think.

The past few days the male Yasha has been taking food from the pipette, if I angle the tip of the pipette into the burrow opening. Today however, Pistol Shrimp finally made the entrance to burrow bigger and the male Yasha has actually been perched right outside the burrow. <3

YashaM_zpsxqdngq3s.jpg

No sign of female Yasha though. I did see her a few days ago when I last lifted up the rock they have been burrowed under. I'm not going to touch the rock just yet though. My two week guarantee is up next week Tuesday, so I'll give it to right before then to check on her again. I'm hoping now that the male has settled, she will be soon to follow.

In other Yasha news, there has been more photos and videos posted on the captive raised Yasha!

Look at that baby next to a dime for scale!
large.S.-yasha-57-DPH-Coin-A.png.cb80f6a

It sounds like they are having great settlement and rearing success rates. :D

• 2 months later...

Archived