Cultivated Reef

Mirya's Mini Garden (Nuvo 8) - Yasha Love Shack

Mirya

I learned of it from the listserv for OSU that I was on. Graduating students would always post up things on TicTail when they had a moving sale, then post a link to their TicTail on the listserv. What is nice about it is that it is free to set up a basic site like I did. Fees come in if you want to add apps to your TicTail. (Their are apps for things like accepting credit cards. Having it accept PayPal was free though.) It's really meant to be used as a web-based store for selling products, rather than using it like I am. But, it works good enough for what I'm doing. Everyone on the listserv is used to looking at the items on the TicTail, then e-mailing the TicTail owner with their requests for purchase. Most of the sales I've done have been cash, and I've met the person to deliver the goods.

Thanks so much for the info!
  • Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OH my gosh! Wow! NC! Where is that? Raleigh? I know, I know but I'm not originally from here. If so, that's 4 hrs from me.

Funny story, I was following a girls tank on here I really loved, she ended up moving 2 Augusts ago to 1/4 mile away from me. Well well, please holler if you need anything, seriously.

That is huge news. And I'm thrilled about Ophelia for you.

OH my gosh! Wow! NC! Where is that? Raleigh? I know, I know but I'm not originally from here. If so, that's 4 hrs from me.

Yup, in Raleigh. Honestly one of the first things I did when I knew I was getting the job for sure was Google Maps where Asheville was in relation to Raleigh!

Hey, they have yurts somewhere around here. Lots of runs too when your leg is ready. Mountain trail running. Less difficult on the joints I think.

Congratulations on the new job! My brother-in-law and his family live in Raleigh (well outside of it, technically), and they really love the area.

I loved your zoo sign. I just sent it to my daughter who just finished an intern job for the summer at our local zoo :)

At least knowing I have a move in my future has forced me to do some cleaning. Speaking of which, I have a few non-fish things for sale. Might as well plug them in my own thread. You can view what I have for sale here: ktefft.tictail.com. I don't have shipping enabled on that site, but if you see something that interests you, PM or e-mail me your address and I can see if we can work out shipping.

I bought a few things from this lovely lady and they arrived today! Answered messages fast, shipped out right away, everything as described, and even a little surprise! :happy:

Thank youuuuu!!

I bought a few things from this lovely lady and they arrived today! Answered messages fast, shipped out right away, everything as described, and even a little surprise! :happy:

Thank youuuuu!!

Thank you, Kimber! A few less things for me to have to move down the road. ;)

Less than 48 hours until I hit the road for North Carolina. omgomgomg

Started packing today. I had already been working on a packing list, now I'm just trying to organize things together. I am clingy towards my husband and cat and fish, excited about the job, agonized thatI will have to interact with all these new people! (I'm an introvert.) I think I would like to just excitedly vomit.

Also, my local reef club's annual swap is tomorrow. Its the reason I'm leaving Sunday and not Saturday! Been looking forward to it a long time and I have a bunch of frags that people are interested in buying. But it also means tonight I need to work on making up fresh saltwater, packaging up my copepods, etc. (I'm breaking down my copepod culture since I don't expect my husband to sustain it and all my current fish eat frozen just fine. I am selling off all the pods though so actually will be recouping my initial investment!)

This week I've written up some "instruction manuals" for my husband. Things like "how to make RO/DI water" and "how to use the Apex to turn off the pumps to feed the fish." I also made him a calendar that goes until the end of the year with things on it like "change filter floss" or "Ophelia needs cobalamin injection." Speaking of filter floss I just ordered a ton from inTank and worked on cutting it all up today. This will be enough to last through the end of the year:

FlossOCD_zpsfmntkb2t.jpg

Am I too OCD?

I just finished taking down my copepod culture tank. It was a 5 gallon aquarium that had 1.5 gallons of water in it. I picked up some sieves from Brine Shrimp Direct that made cleaning out the tank a breeze.

Here's my big deli cup of pods that I collected. Just a few pods...

Pods1_zpsqlqsiyqn.jpg

Closer view:

Pods2_zpsbwj3ymzr.jpg

That was all from a 7 week old culture I started initially with one bottle of Tigger Pods. And I harvested and fed multiple times from the culture even before it started booming. So yeah, pretty easy to do and something I will be comfortable doing again in the future if I have a fish that needs pods.

I split all the pods between 4 empty Aquafina water bottles. They are spending the night in the fridge to slow their metabolism as I didn't add any phyto to the bottles. I'll be taking them to the swap tomorrow to sell.

I just finished taking down my copepod culture tank. It was a 5 gallon aquarium that had 1.5 gallons of water in it. I picked up some sieves from Brine Shrimp Direct that made cleaning out the tank a breeze.

Here's my big deli cup of pods that I collected. Just a few pods...

Pods1_zpsqlqsiyqn.jpg

Closer view:

Pods2_zpsbwj3ymzr.jpg

That was all from a 7 week old culture I started initially with one bottle of Tigger Pods. And I harvested and fed multiple times from the culture even before it started booming. So yeah, pretty easy to do and something I will be comfortable doing again in the future if I have a fish that needs pods.

I split all the pods between 4 empty Aquafina water bottles. They are spending the night in the fridge to slow their metabolism as I didn't add any phyto to the bottles. I'll be taking them to the swap tomorrow to sell.

Holy cow! That is a LOT of pods!

So... the next morning when I took the bottles out of the fridge they were icy cold. In fact, one of the four bottles had ice in it! In the three bottles without the ice, all the pods were motionless at the bottom of the bottle. In the frozen bottle, there were pods stuck in the ice. :( I left the frozen bottle at home on the counter and took the other 3 to the swap. Two of them had been reserved, but I figured that I'd just give them for free to the people that had reserved them. The two people who had reserved the pods were a little sad that the pods were likely dead, but took them since I gave them away. Periodically I still looked at the one bottle I still had left. No swimming. I was glum...

And then during the last hour of the swap I noticed that the pods were swimming! Resurrection! Other members of my club came over to look at the miraculous pods and have a chuckle. And I even managed to sell that bottle before the swap was over. I figured the bottle that was frozen threw was toast though. But when I got home I found this!

Pods_zpsub6yqpow.jpg

These miraculous Jesus pods were added to my Nuvo 8 and Nuvo 24 though, so their renewed life was short-lived. :D

I was going to pick up some corals from Cherry Corals at the swap that I had bought earlier. Unfortunately, they weren't able to make it to the swap at the last minute. Which meant that they had to ship my corals... Of course I drove down to North Carolina the day after the swap. That meant they shipped the corals once my husband returned to Columbus. He has received shipments for me before, though in the past it was zoas. This time it was LPS, so he was a little anxious. He sent me some pictures. I can't wait to see them in person. I'll be home in 3 weeks. Here's the pictures he shared. This is right after he unpacked them. There is a Blasto cluster on the left and a Cynarina on the right:

unboxing_zpsyeb8ttlg.jpg

He took this picture later when the Cynarina was really happy:

unboxing2_zpsczxsxg2b.jpg

I've been AWOL for the past few days, and I'm going to be AWOL for awhile more.

Ophelia's appetite was getting progressively more picky since I moved to Raleigh. We were hoping she was just being mopey since I wasn't around. But, when I FaceTime'd with my husband Monday night, I was concerned about the way she was breathing to the point that I had my husband take her to an ER clinic. Long story short... it wasn't her leukemia, that was still in remission. She developed another cancer, an aggressive lung cancer causing fluid around the lungs. I had just done x-rays of her lungs as recently as 3 months ago as part of the monitoring for her leukemia and those were clean. I flew back to Columbus Tuesday. She looked so different to me even though I had only been gone a little over a week. My husband and I spoiled her as much as possible since we brought her home Wednesday. She felt a lot better since the fluid had been drained from her chest, but she was still very tired. One of my friends helped Ophelia over the rainbow bridge this afternoon. We were outside and 'Phelie was in a sunbeam on her sheepskin. It went as well as those things can.

She was originally a shelter cat, so I don't know her exact birthday, but she turned 17 this month.

#####cancer

PawPrint_zpsdbs4uird.jpg

I'm so sorry Karen. SO many losses of kitties that have lived a long time on this site. Glad you were able to be with her and that she was greeted by a familiar site. Bless her.

O my, so much has happened since last I read your thread. I am really sorry about Ophelia. It is always hard to lose a beloved pet.

Congrats on the new job and relocation! Wow. I hope everything goes smoothly with the move. Good luck!

Sad to hear about the kitty :( Even though I am a dog person I do have a cat that is around the same age. It adopted us 17 or 18 years ago when we moved into our house. He is a stinker at times but would not get rid of him as he has been the best cat we have ever had....

Oh and Jesus pods :lol:

Archived