SaltCritters.com

Mirya's Mini Garden (Nuvo 8) - Yasha Love Shack

Mirya

Last night I had to turn the AC on in the apartment cause the tanks were up to 79.

WTF.

It's November.

In Ohio.

I even had the windows open and a fan on prior to switching on the AC.

WOW! Sounds like we are colder here!!!! I have the heater running right now :).
  • Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I have not had the heat on all week and sleeping w/ the window open a couple inches. Just a weird warm week and rain the whole week here but the sweet smell of fallen leaves is just perfect. It was 73 in here when I came in, opened up everything.

• 2 weeks later...

I had noticed when I was home a few weeks ago that Yasha was being more reclusive than normal for her. I'd put food in front of the burrow though and she'd eat. I assumed Shrimp was going through a molt, since that was their normal MO whenever he molted. Unfortunately, my husband has been reporting to me that he barely sees her anymore. Sometimes days have gone by in between sightings. That is super unusual for her. I was at a loss for what to do about it though. Everything else in the tank was doing well based on the pictures he was sending me.

Last night Shrimp kicked Yasha out of the burrow. My husband sent me video. Shrimp literally pushed her around and she was listing to the side and looking really weak. Her abdomen didn't look right to me either, but I couldn't get a good look. I had an acquaintance who owns a LFS come over today to do a water change on all the tanks, check params, etc. He said it looks like she has a mass or injury to her abdomen and does not expect that she will make it. Otherwise the tanks are doing well.

I FaceTimed with my husband again today, so he showed me the tanks. Yasha has been outside of the burrow all day. Shrimp won't let her back in and she doesn't appear to care. Ugh..... I've actually cried over this. I've had her for close to 2 years and she has had such great personality. Plus the frustration that I'm not there to check in on her myself. And of course, what happened with Ophelia since I've been gone too. I am flying home Thanksgiving morning. If she is still alive then I will probably euthanize her. (Clove oil) My husband says he would do it for me, but is worried about his ability to catch her without knocking over all the corals.

righttirefire

Sorry Mirya,

It's not fun losing a fish. I watched a little freshwater fish decline for 3 day before I fished it out... good luck.

Oh no. I wonder what happened. They're so beautiful, definitely one of nature's most unique. Sorry. Who knows, she may tire during the catch. :(

Thanks guys. My husband called me last night to say she died. I feel really bad thinking she suffered. On the other hand, it is over now and I'm secretly relieved that I didn't have to euthanize her.

I spoke with the guy who checked in on my tanks. He said she had a coelomic swelling and vent prolapse. So I suspect she either had a:

a) tumor

B) intestinal impaction

c) heavy parasite burden

Since I had her for 2 years, and she did so fantastic for most of that time, I have a had time thinking it was C. Sucks being a vet and not being able to fix my own pets. (To be fair, I had no fish training in vet school though.)

If it's any consolation, I wouldn't be able to euthanize either because I'd know I was ending it's life. Sorry. Maybe with future life changes in moving, etc she wouldn't have made it. I think you'd have felt worse if she was struggling any further.

So, finally, some good news!

I had my interview 2 weeks ago for a permanent position at NCSU. Today I received the call asking if I would accept the position! Things still have to go through HR, and I have to see the actual contract, but barring anything crazy I will have a job!

This is huge -- ever since finishing my residency in 2009 I've been trying to land the position that would let me establish my career. I spent 2.5 years in Canada in a position I enjoyed, but knew would never be forever due to immigration issues. Then I spent 3.5 years at OSU in what I was initially told was a renewable position, but then was told after starting that there was no intention that it would be renewed. I did get numerous contract extensions while there, but all to the tune of 3-6 months at a time. For the past few months I've just been doing some temp work. But now I can finally feel settled and know that I will be in this position for a very, very long time.

So, in the next 1-2 months I'll need to move my tanks. I knew it was coming, but it is still going to be stressful! I'm not going to replace Yasha until well after the move and I know the tanks have settled back in. I'll also be able to eventually visit Annette and see her RFA Haven, and go to Greensboro and meet Dave. So Dave, can I bring my lights to you in person to do the fan upgrades on? ;)

Woah! Congrats, Mirya! So are you moving to NC? Am I reading correctly?

Sorry about the yasha :(

I'm so behind on your threads! I have to catch up.

You will love the RDU area. I don't like city life but if I had to that would be the area I would choose. Will you be teaching at State?

There are several nice LFS in the area.

Yup, Raleigh here I come!

Yes, I'll be moving to Raleigh. It will actually be kinda easy, since I've been splitting my time between Raleigh and Columbus anyways since the end of September. I've had a temp position at NCSU since then. I have a house I've been renting in Cary (a Raleigh suburb), that my husband and stuff can just move into. I do know that the home owner wants to sell the house this upcoming summer, but I figure that will give us enough time to get familiar enough with the area to know where we would like to buy our own house. (I would not want to buy the house I'm renting. I hate the layout!) This will be an assistant professor position, so I will be teaching at North Carolina State University. :D

omgomgomg HURRAY!! I knew it. Something just told me you'd get it. I'm so happy for you! So much to think about with the tanks. A fresh new start on permanency. How relieving for you!. We'll meet up some time in Spring or so when we've thawed out. Congrats again. Yeah, I'll be in my new place at the end of this month. omgomgomg

Congrats on the new position!!!

My brother-in-law lives in Garner, just on the south side of Raleigh. The Raleigh area is a great place to live.

Archived