SaltCritters.com

Mirya's Mini Garden (Nuvo 8) - Yasha Love Shack

Mirya

Congratulations on the new position! I know its insanely tough to find a professor position, so that's so wonderful! Will you be teaching veterinary medicine? Do you get to run your own research lab?

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you, Kimber! A few less things for me to have to move down the road. ;)

Less than 48 hours until I hit the road for North Carolina. omgomgomg

Started packing today. I had already been working on a packing list, now I'm just trying to organize things together. I am clingy towards my husband and cat and fish, excited about the job, agonized thatI will have to interact with all these new people! (I'm an introvert.) I think I would like to just excitedly vomit.

Also, my local reef club's annual swap is tomorrow. Its the reason I'm leaving Sunday and not Saturday! Been looking forward to it a long time and I have a bunch of frags that people are interested in buying. But it also means tonight I need to work on making up fresh saltwater, packaging up my copepods, etc. (I'm breaking down my copepod culture since I don't expect my husband to sustain it and all my current fish eat frozen just fine. I am selling off all the pods though so actually will be recouping my initial investment!)

This week I've written up some "instruction manuals" for my husband. Things like "how to make RO/DI water" and "how to use the Apex to turn off the pumps to feed the fish." I also made him a calendar that goes until the end of the year with things on it like "change filter floss" or "Ophelia needs cobalamin injection." Speaking of filter floss I just ordered a ton from inTank and worked on cutting it all up today. This will be enough to last through the end of the year:

FlossOCD_zpsfmntkb2t.jpg

Am I too OCD?

this inspired me to write an instruction manual on such topics. In case I am unable due ot illness or injury. I don't think its OCD. I think its insurance. I will give it to him at christmas.

Woah! Congrats, Mirya! So are you moving to NC?

You will love the RDU area.

omgomgomg HURRAY!! I knew it. Something just told me you'd get it. I'm so happy for you!

Congrats on the new position and good luck with moving!

Well a HUGE congrats to you!!!!!! Stability is such a GREAT feeling :). I'm so happy for you!!!!

Congrats on the new position!!!

Congratulations on the new position! I know its insanely tough to find a professor position, so that's so wonderful! Will you be teaching veterinary medicine? Do you get to run your own research lab?

Thank you everyone! I'm vacillating between excited for the position, terrified of the move, excited for being able to finally settle down, anxious about living up to expectations, then back to excitement again. An Ouroboros of emotion!

Felicia -- no kidding it being tough landing a professor position! This was my fifth interview for a professor position in the past year (Michigan State, UC-Davis, Iowa, Virginia Tech, and now NCSU). And this was really an exceptional year in terms of the number of available positions. I'll be teaching feline and canine internal medicine. My appointment is clinical track, so it only has a 10% research responsibility, so no lab for me. (The remainder of my appointment is 70% clinical service/clinical teaching and 20% didactic teaching.)

The NCSU offer wasn't the only awesome news I got this past week though. Wednesday I had another MRI of my leg, to evaluate which surgery would be best for me 1+ year old stress fracture. Friday I met with the doctor who gave me the great news that the bone growth stimulator apparently did its job! My tibia is healed! No more aircast! I am free to walk more than work dictates! (Translation: I can go for a walk just for the joy of going for a walk.) Crossing my fingers that following the "return to running" program goes more smoothly this time. (In February I was cleared to return to activities, but it became refractured in April.)

this inspired me to write an instruction manual on such topics. In case I am unable due ot illness or injury. I don't think its OCD. I think its insurance. I will give it to him at christmas.

Glad to be of inspiration. As you saw, I posted my step-by-step RO/DI instructions in the thread you started regarding the instruction manual. :)

That is all such great news! I like the teaching aspect of academia, but wouldn't want to run my own lab. That sounds like a great position! That's wonderful news on your leg too! My broken hand is nothing by comparison, but its already driving me nuts. I am sure you are so ready to not have restrictions on what you can do.

Congratulations! Hope you will love your position and living in NC. We have a brick at the clinic there for our beloved Lulu and Zoe ... blow them a kiss for me if you see it!

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations! Hope you will love your position and living in NC. We have a brick at the clinic there for our beloved Lulu and Zoe ... blow them a kiss for me if you see it!

I'll have to keep an eye out for it! :)

One more day in Raleigh before I fly back to Columbus to start packing. I've bought a 44 gallon Brute that I filled with saltwater. I have a heater and powerhead in it too. I'll leave that circulating and heating when I leave. That way, when we drive back down here in a few weeks, I'll at least be able to dump fish/corals into that after the trip without having to set a tank up while exhausted.

Still trying to figure out the logistics of breaking down the tanks in Columbus so the moving company can pack the stands. Ugh, makes my brain hurt. I think I'm going to chisel off any corals attached to live rock. That way, less rock to transport/keep alive. The drive to Raleigh is 8 hours plus rest stops. I'm trying to decide if I should put my fish and corals in Homer buckets or some big Rubbermaid bins with a heater and bubbler or if I should bag up the corals and put them in a big styrofoam cooler. I'm trying to figure out how we will fit this all in the backseat of the car... We'll probably renting a little U-haul and move the tanks ourselves, while a moving company takes the rest of the stuff from the household.

The tanks are: an AIO 8 gallon cube, an AIO 24 gallon long shallow tank, and a AIO 15 gallon frag tank. Not set-up currently I also have a 60 gallon frag tank and a sumped 38 gallon tank I was planning on upgrading the 24 into. We have a place we will be renting in Raleigh for a few months before moving into a home we buy, so I am thinking of consolidating the livestock from the 24 and 15 into one tank (the 60 gallon) rather than setting up the 8, 38, and a frag tank. There are some nano critters like a candy pistol shrimp that live in the 8 that I fear would get lost in the 60, so I'll set the 8 back up too.

The 60 is not AIO, but I also don't have an appropriate sized sump for it. I'm debating just having the skimmer and a media reactor sit in the tank itself for the few months it will be housing things in the rental. I'm going to try to sell the AIO 24 gallon and a few of my fish and corals.

Any other ideas/suggestions welcome!

(Oh yeah, and there are two more tank that I’m not even counting atm. I won a Fluval Spec 5 at my Reef Club’s Holiday party next week. I’ll set it up as a planted Betta tank eventually. I’m also seriously considering pulling the trigger on an Artfully Acrylic drop-off tank. Not that I can set it up any time soon, just want to take advantage of the pre-order pricing.)

Yeah, I have not had the heat on all week and sleeping w/ the window open a couple inches. Just a weird warm week and rain the whole week here but the sweet smell of fallen leaves is just perfect. It was 73 in here when I came in, opened up everything.

I didn't realize you were so close, you're only an hour away from me! I'm in Greeneville, SC, and yeah, the weather's been weird.

Yes, I'll be moving to Raleigh. It will actually be kinda easy, since I've been splitting my time between Raleigh and Columbus anyways since the end of September. I've had a temp position at NCSU since then. I have a house I've been renting in Cary (a Raleigh suburb), that my husband and stuff can just move into. I do know that the home owner wants to sell the house this upcoming summer, but I figure that will give us enough time to get familiar enough with the area to know where we would like to buy our own house. (I would not want to buy the house I'm renting. I hate the layout!) This will be an assistant professor position, so I will be teaching at North Carolina State University. :D

I just visited Cary a couple of months ago, pretty place.

Congrats!!

One more day in Raleigh before I fly back to Columbus to start packing. I've bought a 44 gallon Brute that I filled with saltwater. I have a heater and powerhead in it too. I'll leave that circulating and heating when I leave. That way, when we drive back down here in a few weeks, I'll at least be able to dump fish/corals into that after the trip without having to set a tank up while exhausted.

Still trying to figure out the logistics of breaking down the tanks in Columbus so the moving company can pack the stands. Ugh, makes my brain hurt. I think I'm going to chisel off any corals attached to live rock. That way, less rock to transport/keep alive. The drive to Raleigh is 8 hours plus rest stops. I'm trying to decide if I should put my fish and corals in Homer buckets or some big Rubbermaid bins with a heater and bubbler or if I should bag up the corals and put them in a big styrofoam cooler. I'm trying to figure out how we will fit this all in the backseat of the car... We'll probably renting a little U-haul and move the tanks ourselves, while a moving company takes the rest of the stuff from the household.

The tanks are: an AIO 8 gallon cube, an AIO 24 gallon long shallow tank, and a AIO 15 gallon frag tank. Not set-up currently I also have a 60 gallon frag tank and a sumped 38 gallon tank I was planning on upgrading the 24 into. We have a place we will be renting in Raleigh for a few months before moving into a home we buy, so I am thinking of consolidating the livestock from the 24 and 15 into one tank (the 60 gallon) rather than setting up the 8, 38, and a frag tank. There are some nano critters like a candy pistol shrimp that live in the 8 that I fear would get lost in the 60, so I'll set the 8 back up too.

The 60 is not AIO, but I also don't have an appropriate sized sump for it. I'm debating just having the skimmer and a media reactor sit in the tank itself for the few months it will be housing things in the rental. I'm going to try to sell the AIO 24 gallon and a few of my fish and corals.

Any other ideas/suggestions welcome.

I have moved a 38g tank full of live rock from Denver, CO to S. Florida. I have also transported a decent amount of frags to a Frag Swap 6 hrs away. Using both of those experiences, here are my thoughts:

Don't chisel corals off the LR, I think you're just making more work for yourself.

Get 1 or 2 of those large, rectangular shaped plastic tubs. Place the LR with attached corals in first, then place corals that are loose or on frag plugs around the circumference of the base of those big pieces, just make sure they can't shift and bump into each other. You can use rubble or small pieces of rock in between to stabilize those if necessary.

I've use plastic ice cube trays to put smaller individual frags in for transport before, this is also a possibility.

Put enough water in to cover everything and use a battery powered air pump for oxygenation and water movement.

When you reach your destination, don't worry about setting up the tanks right away, the corals and LR will be fine in their travel containers as long as they have water movement and temp control, just provide that. Also might not hurt to use a HOB or some kind of filter with carbon if that is possible.

For fish and inverts, I'd bag them individually and transport in styro containers. See if the LFS will let you add lots of oxygen to the bags before closing them up. Use heat packs. When you reach the destination, you could actually acclimate them to the travel containers as normal.

Don't worry about light, a day or two without light might actually prevent stress.

Hope this helps.

If you need help you can always ship corals to me and I can start a small holding tank. I am in Greensboro however which is only an hour away. Either way let me know.

-Dave

I didn't realize you were so close, you're only an hour away from me! I'm in Greeneville, SC, and yeah, the weather's been weird.

Yeah, hey what about that 70 degree weather we're having for Christmas??? This is crazy. This is by far the warmest Christmas I've had here.

I got nothin. I'm only moving 1.5 miles away and I'm stressing as I know 2 tanks are gonna have to cycle before I can put stuff in as they're gonna be 3 yrs old soon w/ the same sand. I agree though, I'd leave the corals where they are and place them carefully. I think it'd stress them too much to be removed. When are you anticipating your move happening? I'm still awaiting closing. I'm in this 3 day holding period before the USDA processes the loan. So in my opinion, the warm weather can continue while this happens.

Yeah, hey what about that 70 degree weather we're having for Christmas??? This is crazy. This is by far the warmest Christmas I've had here.

Yup, very crazy. Although I've had warmer Christmases, when I lived in S. Fla.

I'm not looking forward to the crazy storms that are sposta hit, esp. since I'm supposed to drive in them to go back to E. TN. for Christmas Eve.

I have moved a 38g tank full of live rock from Denver, CO to S. Florida. I have also transported a decent amount of frags to a Frag Swap 6 hrs away. Using both of those experiences, here are my thoughts:

Thanks for the advice! Notes have been taken!

I went to one of my LFS yesterday and picked up a few really nice styrofoam containers in boxes that they received their fish shipments in. Should be super handy, and the price couldn't be beat (i.e. free!). I also put together a rack for one of my Homer buckets with some supplies I had around the house:

FragBucket_zpspsdexucb.jpg

I have quite a few corals still on plugs, so I figure those I will transport in the bucket. I have a battery operated air pump for circulation. I even have a power inverter that I can run a little 25W Neo-Therm heater off of in the car. Therefore, I think I'm also going to have the fish in this bucket too. The other corals are going to get bagged and placed in the styrofoam containers. Liverock is going to go in a Rubbermaid as Weetabix suggested.

If you need help you can always ship corals to me and I can start a small holding tank. I am in Greensboro however which is only an hour away. Either way let me know.

-Dave

:wub: Thank you so much for the generous offer! I think I'm feeling good now about where things are at though, so I'm just going to haul them all myself.

I see that you are going to be getting a lot of great publicity soon -- making the light for Scott Fellman's lagoon tank. Congrats! I look forward to seeing it!

I got nothin. I'm only moving 1.5 miles away and I'm stressing as I know 2 tanks are gonna have to cycle before I can put stuff in as they're gonna be 3 yrs old soon w/ the same sand. I agree though, I'd leave the corals where they are and place them carefully. I think it'd stress them too much to be removed. When are you anticipating your move happening? I'm still awaiting closing. I'm in this 3 day holding period before the USDA processes the loan. So in my opinion, the warm weather can continue while this happens.

The drive down is tentatively going to be January 5. So yeah, this warm weather can hold out a hair longer!

Cool idea w/ the buckets. Too bad I threw away any I had left. I offered it up free in my local club, had enough for someone to make frag racks or several media holders. It's just 66 outside, raining, humid, 69 in the house, I had to close the patio and bedroom window, too sticky. Just unseasonable warm and awkward.

Love the bucket idea.

Oh I gave my husband the instruction manual 37 pages. It included what parts were, functions of things, what my plans are, why things are there to to make ro, salt, and trouble shoot diseases. I did not og into fish because I don't know much about fish. (and currently lack it) so thanks for hte inspiration.

• 3 weeks later...

As I've been detailing in my Floridian Flower Garden thread, I moved this past week. I broke down this tank for the move the morning of Tuesday, January 5. It was just 2 weeks shy of its second birthday. Finally got it reset-up today. I had been messing around with the 60 gallon frag tank for the past few days trying to get that steady. Started setting-up this tank yesterday, but wanted to have good wire management rather than throwing things back together haphazard. And I realized that while I thought I had everything labeled back in Columbus, I didn't have every last cord and plug labeled, so it was a little challenging reassembling some things. I did take a few pictures of my wiring before I broke things down though and that helped a lot!

I had originally epoxied the rock structure together when I set-up this tank 2 years ago. In breaking the tank down, some of the epoxy broke. So, I knew I'd have to fix that up. I lifted the rocks out of the frag tank where they have been the past few days, then swished them around in the Homer bucket my pistol shrimp has been living in to knock off the detritus. I had checked where Pistol was before I did this -- he was behind the heater, perched on the heater's suction cups. I grabbed my epoxy to mix some up, then grabbed the rocks to epoxy them back together...

...and saw that Pistol had taken the 60 seconds I was mixing epoxy to crawl out from behind the heater and into a crevice in the rocks!

And definitely a crevice I could not poke him out of!

So much for carefully reassembling my rock structure!

I reattached the rocks as quickly as I could, placed them in the tank, and started filling it with water. My original plan was that I'd drip acclimate Pistol to some water I had just mixed up, but so much for that! I filled up the tank with some of the water from the bucket Pistol had been living in and the rest with the freshly mixed salt water. Then I added some substrate, which has made things totally cloudy. So I have no idea how Pistol is doing.

Fingers are crossed that things look good in the morning.

Good luck! It's funny how often we end up just piling some rocks together and throwing water in just to make sure something doesn't die. The really funny thing is how it often ends up looking just as good or even better :lol:

I did re-epoxy the rocks -- not sure how well the new epoxy is holding though. I had to epoxy them outside of the tank since this tank doesn't have a lot of wiggle room. Then, lifted the whole structure back into the tank. I couldn't keep the rocks out of the tank overnight for the epoxy to cure, since there are corals on them, and Pistol found another crevice to wedge himself into. I felt the epoxy welds wiggle a bit as I set things back into the tank. :/ I'm just going to let it be for 48 hours and then test it.

Overall Pistol is doing well. Snappy. Rearranging sand as he sees fit. Crawling into all the nooks and crannies of the rocks. I was going to move Stevie the jawfish to this tank so he could have some sand to play in too, but unfortunately he jumped from the other tank he was in and I didn't find him 'til he was jerky. I guess what this means though is I can go ahead and get Pistol a new Life Partner. I'm inclined to get another Yasha Haze, since I liked the last one so much, but am open to other goby suggestions!

Archived