Coral Vue Hydros

Mirya's Mini Garden (Nuvo 8) - Yasha Love Shack

Mirya

:lol: that's hilarious!! I wonder if he's going to know who posted the sign.

I really hope he posts about it!

eeeew. What flavor is the kitty piddle? peach, orange?

Pineapple-orange!

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFY_zpsycc5lhm8.jpg

You little stinker!

I drive up this AM and thought we had an early delivery and a package was at the neighbor, then I got closer and started laughing.

Nice work. I was up in Door County all weekend so I gave the security, The Milwaukee Lion a weekend off.

You little stinker!

I drive up this AM and thought we had an early delivery and a package was at the neighbor, then I got closer and started laughing.

Nice work. I was up in Door County all weekend so I gave the security, The Milwaukee Lion a weekend off.

:D Be glad I didn't have access to more Post-It notes!

I was disappointed that Milwaukee Lion sightings dropped off right before my trip.

yeah we haven't heard much from him in over a week now :( I think the chicken nuggets they were trying to bait it with scared it out of the hood and back up north.

I gave a good cleaning of the tank glass when I did my water change this week so I thought I should take some pictures.

FTS%20squared_zpsgjnp2iyp.jpg

What is this? A FTS? I haven't done a FTS of this tank in a year... The big change from the last FTS is that most of the RFA were moved over to my Florida tank. I had planned on getting all the RFA out then moving in my zoa collection from the frag tank. And then I was going to do a FTS. Well there is one RFA that has been completely stubborn. I have even covered him up for over a week at a time and I can't get him to detach. Grrrr... The tank is a mix of softie, LPS and NPS. And of course Tanaka got all shy during photos:

FTS%20mini_zpsruzf7vgd.jpg

Yasha, however, was not shy. He loves the camera:

Yasha_zpsbrdnnfmk.jpg

I love this Acan. It is working hard at popping out new heads too:

Acans_zps2fblfxev.jpg

My LC Wish I Were A Bounce Shroom. I wish it would make more bubbles! It has had this one bubble since it was about 1.5" wide. Now it is close to 4" wide and still has just one bubble:

WishI_zpsm3nyynmr.jpg

I've mentioned my frag tank a few times -- this is a little 15 gallon one, not the 60 gallon one I am working on refinishing -- but haven't shown many pictures. I actually cleaned it to a presentable state, so here is a FTS:

FTS%20frag_zpspqeaohxg.jpg

Your tanks look so colorful and clean, they don't look overdone. I love them both and you're getting a great collection going for your frag tank. Your corkscrew is looking really well!

Wow! I just love these new photos! It was so cool to see the side by side shot of the two tanks. They look so good right now! In the little tank, is that a big blasto that's right in the center? I love that! Looks like you have some really nice frags right now too!

I gave a good cleaning of the tank glass when I did my water change this week so I thought I should take some pictures.

I love this. I was thinking about doing this with my two tanks once I move, but I'm not sure that I'd have a wall long enough!!

reefernanoman

What is this? A FTS? I haven't done a FTS of this tank in a year... The big change from the last FTS is that most of the RFA were moved over to my Florida tank. I had planned on getting all the RFA out then moving in my zoa collection from the frag tank. And then I was going to do a FTS. Well there is one RFA that has been completely stubborn. I have even covered him up for over a week at a time and I can't get him to detach. Grrrr... The tank is a mix of softie, LPS and NPS. And of course Tanaka got all shy during photos:

Yasha_zpsbrdnnfmk.jpg

Acans_zps2fblfxev.jpg

My LC Wish I Were A Bounce Shroom. I wish it would make more bubbles! It has had this one bubble since it was about 1.5" wide. Now it is close to 4" wide and still has just one bubble:

WishI_zpsm3nyynmr.jpg

I've mentioned my frag tank a few times -- this is a little 15 gallon one, not the 60 gallon one I am working on refinishing -- but haven't shown many pictures. I actually cleaned it to a presentable state, so here is a FTS:

Yasha_zpsbrdnnfmk.jpg

Acans_zps2fblfxev.jpg

WishI_zpsm3nyynmr.jpg

Nice setups!

Your tanks look so colorful and clean, they don't look overdone. I love them both and you're getting a great collection going for your frag tank. Your corkscrew is looking really well!

Awe thanks! :flower: I'm pretty happy with my corkscrew. It was looking kinda raggedly for awhile because I had slacked off on target feeding it. Now that I have resumed target feeding it has gotten a lot more fluffy.

Wow! I just love these new photos! It was so cool to see the side by side shot of the two tanks. They look so good right now! In the little tank, is that a big blasto that's right in the center? I love that! Looks like you have some really nice frags right now too!

Yup, that is two big polyps (and 2 baby polyps hiding) of Blastomussa wellsi that I got from Exotic Reef Creations when they did their N-R live sale awhile back. I'm surprised by what an eager eater it is, even of big things like mysis. When I put more particulate things in the tank it gets a pouty duck face. I also have two different frags of Blastomussa merletti, one from Legendary Corals and the other from Cherry Corals.

And here is an idea of where the frag tank is in relation to my two "display" tanks:

Busted_zpslmyeohaf.jpg

When I do water changes, I just mix up 15 gallons of salt water and clean all three tanks at once.

I love this. I was thinking about doing this with my two tanks once I move, but I'm not sure that I'd have a wall long enough!!

It is really nice that the tanks can share an ATO reservoir, Apex, and Bluefish. I suppose it would be even nicer if I gutted the AIO bits from the Nuvo8 and tied it into the other tank once I upgrade that to a sumped system. But, maintenance on the Nuvo8 is so easy I don't mind.

Very nice! I love the Yasha Goby. It's such a cute fish species. Especially with the candy pistol. :wub:

Yeah I <3 the two of them. The 8 is the perfect size to showcase them too IMO.

Nice setups!

Thanks!

My mom and I chatted today. She asked how the Post-It note went down on Monday. (She was driving around with me when I stopped by to stick it on inTank's door.) I told her it was a hit. ;)

In other news, I'm trying my hand at culturing Tigger Pods. I see my Tanaka Wrasse cruising around the tank, pecking at the glass, but I never see him eat when I feed my Yasha goby and NPS. I've tried frozen Cyclopeeze, frozen rotifers, and my local reef club homemade frozen food. The only time I've definitely seen him eat is when I fed live brine last week. I'm assuming he is eating pods and maybe flatworms. (My flatworm population isn't booming like it normally does about a week after a water change. I normally siphon as many out as I can whenever I do water changes.) So today I went out and bought some live Tigger Pods. He thought those were THE BOMB. It was fun watching him dart around catching them. So, I've set up a 5 gallon aquarium with 1.5 gallons of freshly made saltwater. Added enough PhytoFeast to turn the water greenish. Dumped in the rest of the bottle of Tigger Pods. Crossing fingers!

Oh boy! He'll be happy. I'm getting a free 6line from a local so I won't be getting this guy for my 10g. I couldn't pass up a free 6line. And I really miss my old one. Can't wait to see your video of him chowing down! NOM NOM!!!

Is that a JBJ 20 frag tank? Looks amazing!

(Oh and the note to zstevieT was awesome omgomgomg)

:D

It's actually a custom Advanced Acrylics frag tank, but it is virtually the same dimensions as the JBJ. It's 24"x20"x8" whereas the JBJ is 24"x20"x9". I bought it second-hand off Sangheili last year. I've been really happy with it. While normally I like glass over acrylic, I don't mind acrylic for frag tanks. I could theoretically take this tank to a frag swap, so acrylic is a plus for that.

I run it really low tech -- I made a media rack out of eggcrate and run filter floss and Chemipure Blue. I have a Cobalt Neotherm heater that I monitor with a thermometer, but do not have set up on a controller. I have MarinePure BioMedia instead of live rock in the back section. And that is it. No skimming. Manual water top-offs. The most expensive piece of equipment for it is the light. I had considered getting a cheapo light for it, but right after I bought the tank, Dave posted a Duo for sale in the exact same paint scheme as my Mini and Quad, so I could not resist!

Fed Tanaka some pods today. He was very happy. I did record some videos that I'll have my husband help me with when he gets off of work. For now, some stills...

Tanaka1_zpsoirwftof.jpg

Felicia, I got a nice close up of my Blasto wellsi for you, with a wrasse of course:

Tanaka3_zps5urrg3mu.jpg

I love the little white snip on his nose:

Tanaka2_zpsjjwfeznh.jpg

Hey, looks like he's eating well. How do you know male or female? That blasto- love the green accent striping in it.

I just call all my fish "he" even though the only fish that I actually know the gender of is my Melarnus wrasse in my frag tank (who really is a male). Though now that I think about it, Tanaka is probably a female since she is small. This is assuming that Possom wrasses are like some of the other wrasses that start out as female and can transition to male later in life.

And yeah, that Blasto has really given me love for Blastos in general.

In other news, I received some coral from Cherry Corals today. I got some white pipe organ for this tank. Some zoas that are in the frag tank and some Ricordea for the Florida tank. Ophelia was very pleased that there was new cardboard in the house:

Cherry%20Cat_zpstgcngulh.jpg

Yey! I love my pipe organ. You will love it too. Mine was a frag but it's been spilling over it so it's doing better. It did take mine close to a week though to open but maybe you won't have the same experience.

Culturing tigger pods? That's pretty impressive. Keep us posted on how it goes!

The tanaka is quite the cutie :)

Thanks for those blasto photos! Those are absolutely stunning! I need to find some like those! Wow!

Can't wait to see your video of him chowing down! NOM NOM!!!

Here it is!

Yey! I love my pipe organ. You will love it too. Mine was a frag but it's been spilling over it so it's doing better. It did take mine close to a week though to open but maybe you won't have the same experience.

Mine opened the day I got it! I'm really loving it. :)

Culturing tigger pods? That's pretty impressive. Keep us posted on how it goes!

So far it has been easy! (Culture crash incoming now that I said that!) What I've done is I have a 5 gallon aquarium with 1.5 gallons of saltwater. I dumped in the Tigger Pods and added enough PhytoFeast to make the water green. I don't need an airstone or anything bubbling in the tank since it is so shallow. (Well, per Reef Nutrition I do not.) I have a glass cover on 3/4 of the top to cut down on evaporation. I do have it a little open though for gas exchange. I have to add some PhytoFeast daily to keep the water green. I've been feeding Tanaka every other day some Tigger Pods. I've been trying to be sparing, since I don't want to inhibit the culture while it is trying to get going, but I figure she does need to eat!

I don't know why it took so long for mine to open, odd.

I like your fun music choice, perfect w/ your wrasse. He's pretty and so gentle in appearacnce.

Archived