ReefCleaners.org

Mirya's Mini Garden (Nuvo 8) - Yasha Love Shack

Mirya

jamescstein

Thank you everyone. :grouphug:

Helfrichi firefish has been a fish that I've really wanted a very long time. I will definitely get one again, but

Yasha and Pistol were the very first things added to this tank after the CUC. So they had a pretty barren aquascape they moved into! I think Yasha was shy for a week. Now if it is daytime, he is constantly either hovering right in front of his burrow or at least has his head sticking out of it. Once lights are off he goes to bed in the burrow. Pistol constantly redoes the burrows. Usually the main entrance/exit is facing the front of the tank so I can really enjoy Yasha, but sometimes it faces the back, so all I get is a partial view of fish-butt. Whenever Pistol molts, Yasha usually stays in the burrow with him for the day or two until his new shell hardens. I think this is more because Pistol doesn't keep the entrance/exits tidy right after a molt, rather than Yasha having concern for Pistol's well-being, but who knows. My husband and I wonder what goes on between the two of them in their burrow. ;)

Yasha and the Randall's are the only fish in my tank too. I gave them a nice PVC pipe to live in. One of my flowers stuck his butt in one side. Yasha comes out at night sometimes but I've never even seen her head during the day. I'm thinking of taking the pipe out. Too nice a home maybe. Prolly has a bigscreen and cable in there.

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you everyone. :grouphug:

Helfrichi firefish has been a fish that I've really wanted a very long time. I will definitely get one again, but in the future and in a different tank.

Yasha and Pistol were the very first things added to this tank after the CUC. So they had a pretty barren aquascape they moved into! I think Yasha was shy for a week. Now if it is daytime, he is constantly either hovering right in front of his burrow or at least has his head sticking out of it. Once lights are off he goes to bed in the burrow. Pistol constantly redoes the burrows. Usually the main entrance/exit is facing the front of the tank so I can really enjoy Yasha, but sometimes it faces the back, so all I get is a partial view of fish-butt. Whenever Pistol molts, Yasha usually stays in the burrow with him for the day or two until his new shell hardens. I think this is more because Pistol doesn't keep the entrance/exits tidy right after a molt, rather than Yasha having concern for Pistol's well-being, but who knows. My husband and I wonder what goes on between the two of them in their burrow. ;)

Awe, hugs for you too Annette!

I wouldn't want another fish that would put up too much of a fight and chew on Yasha's fantastic dorsal fin. I think if I got another fish, maybe a clown goby would work best, since it would mind its own business. If I got another fish I'd kinda want a free swimming fish though which is why I went with the Helfrichi. But I look at Gena's pics of her clown goby in her Flower Box and he is pretty adorable.

Sorry :grouphug:. I would totally go for a perching goby. They really are my favorite. I highly doubt your

yasha would feel any threat from an innocent little Green clown goby, or something like that :).

Legendary Corals

Sorry to hear about the helfrichi. They're gorgeous fish, I had no idea yashas were so temperamental. Mine were little wussies!

Whenever I see yashas in stores, they seem pretty shy and timid. I don't know if I have an unusually bold and outgoing one or if it is the fact that I have had him for over a year now has made him so confident in his surroundings. Now that I think about it though maybe he is extra sassy -- whenever I feed him he actually will bite on to the end of the pipette as I squirt food into his mouth!

I don't really blame him for being a little territorial upon seeing a new fish in the tank though; he has been alone a long time. I just found it amusing that even though he tends to just stay in place over his burrow, he still considers a pretty wide area around the burrow as "his."

Ha, sounds like when I went camping once w/ my beagle way back. She was growling at people because they were outside her home, the tent. Found it funny she felt that way so fast about this new temporary home outside on a ridge.

HighEndOfTheLow

Hi Mirya.

Just read this thread from the beginning,

really loving all the flower nems, and sorry to hear about the Helfrichi, I've had a few and none have lasted more then a few years (1 jumped, 1 lost during a rock scape incident and 1 just took a turn for the worst pretty early on) they are absolutely stunning fish however very fragile.

Also Thumbnails are absolutely gorgeous frogs, if you ever set up you'll have to post a thread somewhere.

Luke

Hey Luke, glad you enjoyed the thread!

I will get a vivarium thread started eventually. I'll link it in my signature. I just ordered a really cool banyan piece for my background. Excited to get it in a few weeks.

In fish news... These are a weird long lashed zoa I picked up the other day. These are currently hanging out in my frag tank, but will eventually make their way to this tank. Yup, they really are bright whote faced. And they love to eat almost as much as my P grandis.

Zoas_zpscl4xz5hb.jpg

They're sweet. Once you have everything w/ purple coraline it's such a joy to to have something that pops out. Can't wait to see those expand.

• 3 weeks later...

I got my banyan tree background for my viv this past week. It is so sweet. I really need to start a build thread for it!

In some tank-related good news, I went to the Western Ohio Reef Club frag swap yesterday. It was nice to have a little time to spend on myself; I've been really busy at work. The cases have been really emotionally draining. I've had some not quite so mentally stable owners, and I had 4 euthanasias to do in one day last week. Ugh. At least my own little patient -- my cat Ophelia -- is doing well on her chemo. Her weight is up 0.4 lb in the past month and while her leukemia isn't in remission, it is going in the right direction.

Anyway, I digressed, back to the WORC swap! It is a fun little swap about an hour drive away. I found some of the coral I wanted -- kaleidoscope clove polyps -- and at a reasonable price! I picked up some fun orange safety glasses and some more extra long feeding pipettes (over a foot long!) from a dry goods vendor. The safety glasses are for looking at the tank with actinics on. The glasses cut out the blue so you only see the florescence. It is a really cool effect. And then I won 3 things in the raffle! I'm such a nerd, the first item that I won is the one I'm kinda most excited by - a whole set of Coral magazines. (Better than Playgirl magazines!) Then I got a multi-pack of Rod's food. Probably enough food to feed my tanks for a year! Finally I won an AquaFX Misty Media Reactor.

reactor-misty.png

Obviously, it is too big for this tank, and probably even my Nuvo24. But I think it is something to consider hanging onto for future upgrades... Anyone have any experience with them?

The interview went pretty well. :) I'll probably find out in a month or so if anything comes of it. The one sad thing was the derth of LFS in the Ames area though...

Anyways, I played around with my iPhone and my orange safety glasses I got at the WORC swap. It really helped the iPhone deal with the blues of the LEDs without totally blowing the images out. Here is a daylight image of my LC Wish-I-Were-A-Bounce shroom and an actinic shot with the orange glasses on:

bounce_zpsgh48bvla.jpg

Here are my blastos from ERC. They had just eaten so werent fully inflated, but you can see how the orange glasses really lets you see the florescence!

blastos_zpst4gcohf5.jpg

And lastly, I picked up a hammer tonight. I've always loved Euphyllia, and I think I have this tank rearranged enough that I can accomodate this baby one without its sweeper tentacles wrecking havoc.

Hammer_zpswpmgmrpt.jpg

Picked up a Balanophyllia from AquaSD this week. It's been shy about poking out its tentacles, but tonight when I did a water change and kicked up some detritus it started showing off.

Balano_zpstw4fz8ro.jpg

Ha! I see a smile, then 2 eyes w/ a nose just below it and when you see it, it WILL make you smile. It's strawberry bearded man!!!

Ha! I see a smile, then 2 eyes w/ a nose just below it and when you see it, it WILL make you smile. It's strawberry bearded man!!!

I see it too!!

Very pretty!

LOL What has been seen cannot be unseen! THe Balano shall henceforth be known as Mr. Strawberry Man. ;)

LOL What has been seen cannot be unseen! THe Balano shall henceforth be known as Mr. Strawberry Man. ;)

ha ha. I can't see it backwards now. i love your strawberrry man.

• 2 weeks later...

So whats this I hear about NE Herp? :P How's the frog progress going?

I'm waiting to grow a pair of balls to drill my tank for a bulkhead. The diamond drill bit was one of the things in the NE Herp package. Also got drainage layer substrate, vivarium substrate, barrier cloth, tree fern panels, etc. :)

I'm waiting to grow a pair of balls to drill my tank for a bulkhead. The diamond drill bit was one of the things in the NE Herp package. Also got drainage layer substrate, vivarium substrate, barrier cloth, tree fern panels, etc. :)

Did you start the build yet? pics!! when are the frogs coming???

Archived