Top Shelf Aquatics

Mirya's Mini Garden (Nuvo 8) - Yasha Love Shack

Mirya

Your top looks awesome! I am thinking about doing your setup for my Nuvo 16 tank, have you experienced anything negative with the screen top since doing it? Anything you would change about the setup if you had to do it again?

Thanks! Nope, I really haven't had any negatives with the top since I made it. The only negative really was making it! (Just a hassle to make things in an apartment without a proper workspace or a nice selection of tools.) I like the design so much I built an identical top for my Nuvo24 I just set up. My only maintenance on the top is to wipe it down occasionally with a damp papertowel to rid it of salt from splashed/dripped water.

I did get an e-mail from BRS today that IM sells screen tops for their Nuvo tanks now. Honestly, I think my top is nicer looking, has a tighter fit, and was less expensive.

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks! Nope, I really haven't had any negatives with the top since I made it. The only negative really was making it! (Just a hassle to make things in an apartment without a proper workspace or a nice selection of tools.) I like the design so much I built an identical top for my Nuvo24 I just set up. My only maintenance on the top is to wipe it down occasionally with a damp papertowel to rid it of salt from splashed/dripped water.

I did get an e-mail from BRS today that IM sells screen tops for their Nuvo tanks now. Honestly, I think my top is nicer looking, has a tighter fit, and was less expensive.

I got the same email from BRS and I do think your screen top looks WAY better! I got the frame built today for mine, just trying to figure out the best way to make the 'S' mounts...any tips you can send my way doing these?

photo1.jpg

FishyFishy11

Your tank makes me want some RFA's sooooo bad!! I've had the mini tide over my 8 gal nuvo for a couple months now and I love it! What do you have your PWM settings at?

I just wanted to say thank you to Mirya for your rimless screen top idea! I just finished mine on my Nuvo 16.

photo3.jpg

Your top turned out awesome too! Sorry I didn't get to reply to you more speedily about how I made those 'S' mounts, but it looks like you solved that problem for yourself. (The answer was, I futzed around with some pieces of aluminum I cut up with a hacksaw.) Nice job and the people at Innovative Marine should be jealous. ;)

Your tank makes me want some RFA's sooooo bad!! I've had the mini tide over my 8 gal nuvo for a couple months now and I love it! What do you have your PWM settings at?

:D Come over to the RFA side! My settings are at 105 and 85. Still messing around with them, but my zoas seem to LOVE things so far. With just a week under the new light their colors are better and I see more heads starting to sprout.

In other news, I haven't seen my lettuce sea slug since last week. My husband says he saw him crawl into the overflow. I have looked back there, but haven't seen him. I hope he made his way to the refugium back there and is munching on algae. :/

Just paged through the entire thread instead of being productive today. Gorgeous! I'm almost regretting not going with a Yasha goby, but the pistol rearranging stuff on the sand bed would drive me nuts. Maybe one day.

Thanks to you and all the other drug pushers enablers (gena, 1sttimereefer, Maria, Felicia, the list goes on :lol: ) I'm addicted to the crack my first RFA is arriving tomorrow omgomgomg

FishyFishy11

:D Come over to the RFA side! My settings are at 105 and 85. Still messing around with them, but my zoas seem to LOVE things so far. With just a week under the new light their colors are better and I see more heads starting to sprout.

In other news, I haven't seen my lettuce sea slug since last week. My husband says he saw him crawl into the overflow. I have looked back there, but haven't seen him. I hope he made his way to the refugium back there and is munching on algae. :/

Haha! I might just do that ;) I'm running the tide at 120 and 95 and loving it! Little scared to go any higher than that though, even for sps... this is one powerful little light!

So sad to hear about your lettuce slug...hope he turns up. He's so cute!! I just finished putting mesh over my overflow - dang green clown goby thinks the filter floss in my media basket is his own personal comfy bed. Happy little stinker, but I was scared my pump would eat him!

• 1 month later...

Just paged through the entire thread instead of being productive today. Gorgeous! I'm almost regretting not going with a Yasha goby, but the pistol rearranging stuff on the sand bed would drive me nuts. Maybe one day.

Thanks to you and all the other drug pushers enablers (gena, 1sttimereefer, Maria, Felicia, the list goes on :lol: ) I'm addicted to the crack my first RFA is arriving tomorrow omgomgomg

Mwahahaha, glad I could help enable!

Ironically, I've been clearing the RFAs out of this tank to move into my Florida Nuvo24. There are only 3 left in here that I haven't been able to move over yet. There is also Borneman though that I am planning on leaving in here, since he is a Pacific native. While Borneman belongs to the same genus as the RFAs, he is a different beast, that is for sure. The RFAs don't split -- they reproduce sexually. But, the Bornemans split, and I just had my first split!

On Wednesday I saw that Borneman was looking really weird. He had twisted his own neck really tightly, to the point it was really constricted at one point. I wish I had taken a picture of it. I had to leave town Wednesday for an interview, and I didn't get back until Friday. (Work has been miserable, hence interviewing for a new job.) When I got back, Borneman had split where he had twisted his neck. His head was loosely attached to the rockwork since that part of him doesn't have a proper foot. His old foot and neck are tucked into the rockwork, but the stump that will turn into the new head is sticking out. You can see the stump stucking out in between Borneman's old head and one of my RFAs:

Split2_zpsb536edaa.jpg

The new head doesn't look like much of anything right now, but here is a shot of the new "face":

Split_zps970d39c0.jpg

I'll try to get some serial pictures of it as it develops.

The other news for this tank is a Yuma I picked up yesterday from a LFS. It is an aquaculture facility (in the Midwest!), so their corals out in the propagation vats can get browned out in the summer. The browned out corals can be picked up cheap. I got this Yuma for $12. I'm eager to see what comes of this, the shop keeper thinks it will turn green.

Yuma_zps661e91d4.jpg

Mwahahaha, glad I could help enable!

Ironically, I've been clearing the RFAs out of this tank to move into my Florida Nuvo24. There are only 3 left in here that I haven't been able to move over yet. There is also Borneman though that I am planning on leaving in here, since he is a Pacific native. While Borneman belongs to the same genus as the RFAs, he is a different beast, that is for sure. The RFAs don't split -- they reproduce sexually. But, the Bornemans split, and I just had my first split!

On Wednesday I saw that Borneman was looking really weird. He had twisted his own neck really tightly, to the point it was really constricted at one point. I wish I had taken a picture of it. I had to leave town Wednesday for an interview, and I didn't get back until Friday. (Work has been miserable, hence interviewing for a new job.) When I got back, Borneman had split where he had twisted his neck. His head was loosely attached to the rockwork since that part of him doesn't have a proper foot. His old foot and neck are tucked into the rockwork, but the stump that will turn into the new head is sticking out. You can see the stump stucking out in between Borneman's old head and one of my RFAs:

Split2_zpsb536edaa.jpg

The new head doesn't look like much of anything right now, but here is a shot of the new "face":

Split_zps970d39c0.jpg

I'll try to get some serial pictures of it as it develops.

The other news for this tank is a Yuma I picked up yesterday from a LFS. It is an aquaculture facility (in the Midwest!), so their corals out in the propagation vats can get browned out in the summer. The browned out corals can be picked up cheap. I got this Yuma for $12. I'm eager to see what comes of this, the shop keeper thinks it will turn green.

Yuma_zps661e91d4.jpg

So cool about Borneman! And that's great about the yuma. I hope you post progress pics as it begins to gain color.

Can't wait to see how it turns out. Should be an exact replica right? I mean since it's born of the same nem? I know nothing abt that kind of reproduction.

Can't wait to see how it turns out. Should be an exact replica right? I mean since it's born of the same nem? I know nothing abt that kind of reproduction.

AFAIK it should look the same since it is a clone, but I suppose there could be some variation depending on how well it acquires zooanthelia. We'll see!

Here is an update on the new face that is developing... Yesterday there was a little bit of a slit developing where the mouth would be, but still not much change from the picture I had already posted. Today there is definitely a noticeable change, however!

splitupdate_zpsed77081c.jpg

Borneman update!

Here is the old head, looking all big and fluffy. You can see the new head to the left, starting to look like something recognizable:

Borne1n2_zpse589eea8.jpg

And here is a close-up of the new head:

BabyBorne_zpsd8dc89d9.jpg

I fed the baby face for the first time tonight. He really scrunched up to try to eat the food. It was a little challenging for him since his tentacles are still so short, but he managed!

The original head I am selling this weekend at our local reef club's frag swap. I'm kinda a little sad to see him go, but once the baby face grows to full size, the two of them will shade most of the tank. I figured this will be a good opportunity to get him a new home. It's nice to know I am passing something on through captive propagation rather than taking from the ocean. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The baby face is getting more and more adept at eating... and is looking more and more like he is "supposed" to! The tentacles are still really stubby, but are starting to get the fringe on them. He sits and "flexes" his tentacles quite a bit, as if he is still getting used to them.

BabyBorne_zpsaaa19c55.jpg

Thanks for the progress shots! I't just plain neat to see, but useful to know the timeline as well. I'm trying to much the same in my RFA rehab thread... man, I wish that one was progressing as fast as your split.

Bourneman's not a rock flower, though - right? But the cousin-species-often-sold-as-them.

Thanks for the progress shots! I't just plain neat to see, but useful to know the timeline as well. I'm trying to much the same in my RFA rehab thread... man, I wish that one was progressing as fast as your split.

Bourneman's not a rock flower, though - right? But the cousin-species-often-sold-as-them.

You're welcome. :) My husband wanted to set up a camera to take a picture every hour to later make an animated GIF. That would have been awesome, but I'm too lazy. Maybe the next time he splits...

And you are correct! Borneman's anemone (Phymanthus buitendijki) is an Indo-Pac member of the same genus as the RFA (Phymanthus crucifer) which is an Atlantic species.

I have all this extra real estate now without Borneman's big old head shading/covering a bunch of my rockscape. I'm working on figuring out how I want to place my zoas-on-plug collection throughout the tank. I also recently got some neon trumpets, I'm posting this picture for Gena!

NeonTrumpets_zpsa78a3b8d.jpg

In the background you can see my Reeftek Starburst Monti Cap. I had a nice picture of it from right after I got it from Darwin a page or so back. Well my Pistol Shrimp decided to bury it one night. It took a few days before I found it. It was completely white by the time I found it. It has been slowly but steadily getting its peachy color back.

Nice, now you have the green and the blue. I had both until the green fell into the acans. But my light blues had a head that split into 2 so now it's a head of 3. I need to get some green again and plop them in somewhere.

I just got the new PicoSkim 2.0 and installed it today. I chucked my own homemade airstone skimmer. It was pretty nasty on the inside. My skimmer worked, but was a pain to tune, clean, and replace airstones on. (But then, I built it with stuff I had laying around the house. Can't complain with that cost!) The PicoSkim is quite a nice upgrade. Plus the PicoSkim is wider than my homemade skimmer which makes it more effective in addition to being easier to maintain and tune.

PicoSkim_zpsa61b8503.jpg

I have all this extra real estate now without Borneman's big old head shading/covering a bunch of my rockscape. I'm working on figuring out how I want to place my zoas-on-plug collection throughout the tank. I also recently got some neon trumpets, I'm posting this picture for Gena!

NeonTrumpets_zpsa78a3b8d.jpg

In the background you can see my Reeftek Starburst Monti Cap. I had a nice picture of it from right after I got it from Darwin a page or so back. Well my Pistol Shrimp decided to bury it one night. It took a few days before I found it. It was completely white by the time I found it. It has been slowly but steadily getting its peachy color back.

:wub: love that trumpet color combo. The neons are ultra fast growers! I'm glad your turquoise is doing so well now too!!!!

Archived