Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Just ordered this LED light

05XRunner

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't get me wrong. Fark was totally asking for it but the forums aren't meant for arguing.

Thank goodness it ain't one of those threads. Or worse those This.

exactly like that fixture. people think "oh I know that brand, that should be a good light" and they're junk.. fine for fowlr, probably wouldn't keep anything but softies alive..

I am just getting ready to put first bucket in the tank..LOL its going to take FOREVER since i dont have as much water pressure at new house my RO unit makes water bit slower so its gonna take like 3days or so to make the 50gallons with the sump LOL

its going over my 40 breeder

Based on the dimensions given on amazon you'll probably need two or you'll have shadows on the edges of the tank. I think it will work fine for the application though.

exactly like that fixture. people think "oh I know that brand, that should be a good light" and they're junk.. fine for fowlr, probably wouldn't keep anything but softies alive..

Actually that coralife fixture would grow things fine. The led selection (Cool Whites, Ambers) and cost ($2,200+) are pretty crappy though.

Based on the dimensions given on amazon you'll probably need two or you'll have shadows on the edges of the tank. I think it will work fine for the application though.

Actually that coralife fixture would grow things fine. The led selection (Cool Whites, Ambers) and cost ($2,200+) are pretty crappy though.

oh, I didn't actually read the specs on that one.. holy shit that's expensive.. the marineland fixtures like this is what I was referring to.. 21x1w leds.. they're claiming 130 par at 12", I'd guess even that is exaggerated..

I wonder how many people bought that coralife light? that's insane :blink:

anyway, enough thread jacking..

I have a Chinese 2 channel led fixture and have had sps for almost 2 years. But lately I've looking around for fixtures that have more full spectrum as well as controllability. This fixture does both at a cheaper price.

Other options I looked into include the radion, kessil (for that nice shimmer) and the nanobox. All of those would need 2 fixtures to cover a 36" tank and the box would have to be custom built. This fixture, even if I bought 2 of them would be cheaper than a single fixture of the other 3.

I'd love to see how it looks when you get it as well as coral growth and color after a few months.

yea i think i am going to eventually need 2 fixtures..but we shall see how well one can cover. still 2 fixtures of this is the price of basically 1 kessil and I would need 2 a150w to cover this tank.

one good thing about being in the states, esp for amazon, is if you dont like what you bought, you could just return and get a refund (minus shipping) which is still better than most places where you are pretty much stuck with what you bought unless you sell it on the second hand forums at a huge discount.

try it out and see how you like it

Sweet screen name! ^^^^So are you over on XRU? I have an 08 bsp. Love it when I see anything XR related.

Nice pick up on the light by the way.

I traded in my xrunner in 2010. For a 2010 mustang gt. Loved that car. Did something stupid traded it for a 2012 wrx hated that car for 18 months of owner ship. Now I own a 2012 mustang gt

I use to be on xru I was one of the original members back in the day.

I traded in my xrunner in 2010. For a 2010 mustang gt. Loved that car. Did something stupid traded it for a 2012 wrx hated that car for 18 months of owner ship. Now I own a 2012 mustang gt I use to be on xru I was one of the original members back in the day.

Sweet deal! I think I remember seeing you post over there.

Sorry to clutter up your thread, just wanted to see what's up and say what's up.

WHAT'S UP!!'

Farkwar already kind of apologized (more than most), so let it go.

I do think that it won't be as good as a fixture that uses Cree leds and/or violets, or give you as good colors as a color-focused build, but it should suit you fine for your purposes. Just don't expect your tank to look as good as a T5 or MH setup.

we shall see I have had many T5 and halide tanks over the years

My previous tanks I will compare to

75G Halide

IMG_3263.jpg

20L Halide

IMG_4831.jpg

15G Halide

KH5V0328.jpg

30Breeder T5

2R5W0033.jpg

30Breeder T5

JOND3068.jpg

20L T5

JOND7412.jpg

30Breeder DIY LED kit

IMG_8506.jpg

30Breeder 2 Kessil 15k

IMG_8667.jpg

The awesome shimmer the kessils created. I hope this light can come close to this

http://vimeo.com/38250644

think it was a 2 spot hogfish..I wanna find another loved that fish. its a jumper though I caught him twice jumping but 3rd time he died LOL

They will work fine.I have had three Radions crap out with thermal failure. The $$$ doesn't matter most of the time. Any electronic device is a crap shoot honestly.

And whoever said it before,I agree. The rapid, diskotech, looking shimmer makes my head hurt.

LOL noob...I have probably been doing this longer then you and have way more equipment over the years to know whats worth it or not. I think you need to look at fact I dont have a avatar as me being a noob. please go back to your little corner where you think your soap box matters to others who want to try and listen to you.

WTF, if you are noob, what the hell are the rest of us? :)

You have been on the forum since 2006.

Yea I saw them and got good reviews but that's exactly kind of light I don't want as those style lights with many LEDs over heat sink cause the ugly disco fast jittery shimmer that I hate. Actually I think kessil is the only light out there I have seen that makes pleasant shimmer not a dizzying array like everyone else

I hate the look of LED tanks with those types of lights and sad part is that's the majority of the lights out there.

I do to - always have. These type of lights are 'busy', always have some degree of disco, and just aren't as seamless as Kessils. However, they have have much better color than Kessils because they have more LED color flexibility

Much better if you pull the optics off.

The light the OP posted looks 'interesting' to say the least. Likely won't be very efficient, but if the colors are balanced right you'll end up with something like a A360 with a much deeper color.

my only concern for this light is..They put the green and red led on with the blue ch instead of them being on the white. So I am hoping I am able to dial in the color I like because i like tank with a little more blue color to it. I dont like that purple color look much

Archived