Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fluval Spec Owners Thread

evanski

Whats up guys I just started up my Fluvial Spec V.. I have had a 200 gallon tank when I was much younger around 10 and a 90 gallon in my late teenage years and the most recent tank that I had was a 20 Gallon AIO and as the progression shows I am now down to the Fuval Spec V as we all know is a 5 gallon tank. The entire tank is pretty much stock and in the cycling process except for the light which is the Current USA Orbital LED which for the price I could not turn down... I am probably looking at going for a Leather and Zoas tank due to the size with maybe a small Goby to live in the rock...Pictures coming soon! Let me know if you guys have any advice

Hey guys is anyone running a protein skimmer with the Fluval Spec V??? if so please let me know what you are using as I am somewhat interested... Thanks

For protein skimmers, one to look at is the mame skimmer. They may not necessarily be needed, as keeping up with weekly water changes seems to do a great job as long as you are diligent.

I wanted to share some updates photos since attending RAP in Orlando this past weekend. I bumped into Michael Hearn who owns SB Reef Lights. If you guys are not familiar with this guy or his company, please check him out. He has the best lights on the planet. All black box (yes, made in China) to his strict specifications. I bought the Sprite model for $129 out the door and my corals are exploding with happiness. I had a Finnex Marine LED and corals were suffering. I almost sprung for a Kessil. Glad I didn't. This guy has earned my business for life. Reference: https://sbreeflights.com/ or find him on FB here: https://www.facebook.com/SBReefLights

Because this site is a PITA to upload photos. I am sharing the photos via my FB link. Please let me know if you cannot get to it. I honestly don't have the time to spend to resize all of these photos to under 1MB. Complete B.S. The minimum here should be increased to 100MB or more reasonable. This is probably my last post. Better ways of communicating on FB and other sites than this one.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153589648998036.1073741880.548923035&type=1&l=481962a48e

• 2 months later...
Gilly's Reef

Just bought a Fluval Spec V EVO Marine off Ebay ladies and gents. $102 free shipping. The new updated light looks promising....at least for the softies lol This will be a long term set up so stay tuned for a thread from me (and some youtube videos) This will be my second Spec V build, cant wait!!!

Gilly's Reef

Would anyone like to buy the new light bar from the Sea EVO Marine 5? I have one to sell. Upgrade your old Spec V omgomgomg

• 1 month later...
AquaticAngler

Does anyone here still have the mini jet 606 or know where to get, if not do you guys have substitute to the mini jet 606 or the aquaeon aq 600 because both of them are to expensive, have any of you guys tried the hydro pick mag 180? If so can you tell me if it fits or not, thanks

Does anyone here still have the mini jet 606 or know where to get, if not do you guys have substitute to the mini jet 606 or the aquaeon aq 600 because both of them are to expensive, have any of you guys tried the hydro pick mag 180? If so can you tell me if it fits or not, thanks

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Aqueon-QuietFlow-Submersible-Utility-Pump-600-ES06616.htm

Shows instructions on how to install.

One more flow question.

With the new intank media basket (with surface skimmer), and aqueon 600 pump, the display tank volume remains constant and the rear chambers can be adjusted up or down. Also, evaporation only shows in the rear chambers. Is this normal, correct operation??

I've got a 2 gallon spec sitting around that I haven't used yet and I've never used an AIO before (I've always gone with HOBs). Can someone explain how the evaporation only shows in the rear chambers?

I've got a 2 gallon spec sitting around that I haven't used yet and I've never used an AIO before (I've always gone with HOBs). Can someone explain how the evaporation only shows in the rear chambers?

The overflow built into the false wall forces the water level in the display to remain at a consistent level. So as evaporation happens the water in the rear will drop while the display remains the same.

Your ATO sensor / float would go in the rear chamber set to the desired water level .

• Like 1

The overflow built into the false wall forces the water level in the display to remain at a consistent level. So as evaporation happens the water in the rear will drop while the display remains the same.

Your ATO sensor / float would go in the rear chamber set to the desired water level .

I gotcha. Thanks!

its about $20-$30 for a aqueon 600, i dont mean to be rude by any means lol. just not sure what expensive is for a little pump?

also heres a other DIY thread i made a while ago for a aqueon 600 with steps for the modification.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/375580-diy-replacement-pump-for-fluval-v-sea-with-aqueon-quietflow-600/

Guess once i get my new Nano Box Mini Tide Plus M in tomorrow ill add a FTS. In the mean time i've had a Spec V Sea for 3 months now

Equipment:

ATO Smart Micro

Intank Media Basket(order from top to bottom: Fliter Floss x2, Chetomorpha, Carbon, Chemipure Elite Nano)

Aqueon 600 Return pump

JBJ Nano Glow Refugium Light

Wave Point 9" 18W 50/50 LED Fixture

Nano Box Mini Tide Plus M will be here tomorrow morning :)

No need for a heater, even with AC on here in Texas my tank stays at around 81Deg lol.

LiveStock:

1" Captive breed Black Misbar clown

1" Lawnmore Bleeny

1.5" Cleaner Shrimp

4 Blue Leg Hermits (tiny little fellas)

2 Nassaures Snails

2 Bumble Bee Snails

6 Astrea Snails

Corals/Macro:

Cheatomorpha in back Chamber

3 Birdnest (2 i recently received got bleached. Light imo was to close to the water so i raised it and lowered the coral to the sand bed. they are making a recovery and polps are extending again. Hopefully with my new light that i get tomorrow they will recover even better with the better spectrum and adjustments im able to make to the brightness to acclimate the entire tank to future settings.)

Orange Montipora

3 Stalks Pulsing Xenia

Clove Polps

5 mini colonys of different zoas(my Darth Mauls are the sexiest for now)

IMG_3333_zpsv8iruqik.jpg

IMG_3334_zpsw6cw8cp3.jpg

IMG_3332_zpsqonuoqzc.jpg

• Like 1
TheRealMatrix

Hi All,

My tank has been going for about 7 months now. Using the InTank Media basket running Purigen and Filter Floss. Orbit Marine Pro with blue channel at 100%, white channel at 60%. MP10 in reef crest mode at 40-50%. Weekly water changes of about 25%. This picture is about 2 months old, and there's been several changes since then. I was running PhosGuard for too long and my SPS took a beating. Lost two, the rest are in recovery mode.

post-90696-0-55569600-1471958726_thumb.jpg

post-90696-0-27091800-1471959415_thumb.jpg

post-90696-0-12837700-1471959416_thumb.jpg

post-90696-0-78916600-1471959474_thumb.jpg

what would you guys recommend for ATO consideration for a Spec V?

I'm planning on setting this up at our office, which is closed on the weekends, so need something to maintain it during those off times.

EQUIPMENT:

Fluval Evo V

InTank media basket

Aqueon quiet flow 600 pump

Aqua Via heater

Aquaclear 70 DIY HOB refugium

Stock lighting (temporary)

(future add ons):

Mame skimmer

Nanobox tide mini

Autoaqua smart micro ATO

Livestock:

1 Percula Clownfish

1 Citron Goby

1 Springeri Damsel

post-91896-0-16999600-1472501938_thumb.jpg

post-91896-0-43286300-1472502016_thumb.jpg

post-91896-0-21572400-1472502052_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

EQUIPMENT:

Fluval Evo V

InTank media basket

Aqueon quiet flow 600 pump

Aqua Via heater

Aquaclear 70 DIY HOB refugium

Stock lighting (temporary)

(future add ons):

Mame skimmer

Nanobox tide mini

Autoaqua smart micro ATO

Livestock:

1 Percula Clownfish

1 Citron Goby

1 Springeri Damsel

lovely setup!

what are you thinking about doing for lighting?

lovely setup!

what are you thinking about doing for lighting?

https://sbreeflights.com/sbox-nano-reeffuge/7-sbox-sprite-reef-nano.html

what would you guys recommend for ATO consideration for a Spec V?

I'm planning on setting this up at our office, which is closed on the weekends, so need something to maintain it during those off times.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/smart-ato-micro-automatic-top-off-system-autoaqua.html

• 1 month later...

Guess once i get my new Nano Box Mini Tide Plus M in tomorrow ill add a FTS. In the mean time i've had a Spec V Sea for 3 months now

Equipment:

ATO Smart Micro

Intank Media Basket(order from top to bottom: Fliter Floss x2, Chetomorpha, Carbon, Chemipure Elite Nano)

Aqueon 600 Return pump

JBJ Nano Glow Refugium Light

Wave Point 9" 18W 50/50 LED Fixture

Nano Box Mini Tide Plus M will be here tomorrow morning :)

No need for a heater, even with AC on here in Texas my tank stays at around 81Deg lol.

LiveStock:

1" Captive breed Black Misbar clown

1" Lawnmore Bleeny

1.5" Cleaner Shrimp

4 Blue Leg Hermits (tiny little fellas)

2 Nassaures Snails

2 Bumble Bee Snails

6 Astrea Snails

Corals/Macro:

Cheatomorpha in back Chamber

3 Birdnest (2 i recently received got bleached. Light imo was to close to the water so i raised it and lowered the coral to the sand bed. they are making a recovery and polps are extending again. Hopefully with my new light that i get tomorrow they will recover even better with the better spectrum and adjustments im able to make to the brightness to acclimate the entire tank to future settings.)

Orange Montipora

3 Stalks Pulsing Xenia

Clove Polps

5 mini colonys of different zoas(my Darth Mauls are the sexiest for now)

IMG_3333_zpsv8iruqik.jpg

IMG_3334_zpsw6cw8cp3.jpg

IMG_3332_zpsqonuoqzc.jpg

Can you please talk about the sump behind the tank?! Thanks!!!

Sorry that's not a sump. Thats a 2.5Gallon Tank that is my ATO reservoir

No problem looked as if it would be a cool sump. What ATO are you using?