ReefCleaners.org

Fluval Spec Owners Thread

evanski

10 hours ago, Gaviota said:

Hi everyone. Started setting up my  coral only fluval spec 3 as a pico this week. Ive had it in my garage for a couple years as it was my daughter's beta tank but the fish went with a move and i never set it up. I started to read about  saltwater tanks and saw this whole world of picos and became enamored with the idea! Never done saltwater but did manage to maintain a nice 90 gallon mangrove biotope brackish tank of archer fish for about 5 years.  im thinking im in for an adventure. Heres where im at with it.

I bought arag alive bahama oolite (on accident grabbed the wrong bag, was wanting special grade, but oh well). I have about an inch and a half to 2 inches of substrate.  Concerned i have too much... i saw a thread on here with a fellow that has a beautiful pico running for 5 years and eventually ditched substrate alltogether... do you think this is ok as an initial substrate set up? Should i remove some now or do so gradually over the course as it becomes more stocked?

Filled with petcos Imagitarium Sea Water (no lfs around me other than this). I cant mix my own now as i have horrible well water and no RO. Plan on getiing a filter later so can at least drink our water too! 

I have a tiny heater that is auto set to 78 degrees: Aqueon preset heater 50w

I put this in the chamber with the pump making sure no electrical wire was resting on it which wasnt as easy as it sounds. 

A digital temp monitor: imagitarium

Running stock pump and filter with carbon removed. Plan to upgrade to the 404 i see eveyone seems to be using later. 

I also picked up the API 5 in 1 test dip sticks.. ph, no2, no3, kh, gh and then realized they dont test for amonia until i got home, so i plan on taking them back if theyll take um. Ill keep them if i need them... suggestions?

Been running tank with light off for 4 days now. Figured id check to see if the thermometer and digital temp are reliable and doing what they should before i start buying anything else... so far so good. Been holding at 77.8 - 78.4 the whole time. 

Sooo...

On order is 4 lbs of Reef Saver Live Dry Rock, Penso and Co , Salinity Refractometer for Aquarium, Fish Tank Seawater ATC Hydrometer Dual Scale (1.0 to 1.070 S.G.) , the API Master Saltwater Test Kit and ARC Reef Coraline Algae + Nitrafying Bacteria in a Bottle. 

Plan on adding the Coral Compulsion Par 30 LED about a month from now once my dry live rock has cured (seller BRS suggested leaving lights off for 30 days so i dont see the point in buying a new light today).

Do not plan on doing any water changes through the cycling of the tank which im planning will take at least 30 days from when i add the rock.  Sound good?

In place of an auto topper i drew a fine line on the side of tank with a sharpie where water line is and top of with distilled.  It seems to be about 1 or 2 ounces per day which i know cause i use a baby bottle to measure. 

I used two of the dipsticks... shhh i dont think petco will notice... 

1-12-2018:

gh > deep purple 180, KH: 240, Ph: 7.5-8, NO2 and NO3 0

1-15-2018:

GH > 180, KH: 120, Aall others the same

Where'd the KH go and why?

Here's my other main questions: is it pointless to use the ARC Coraline if im not running lights? should i just run the stock 7500k light? Is this light of any use to a coral tank? Do i need silicone to expoxy the rock or can i just stack it? Rock supplier says this rock interlocks tightly. 

So thats where im at. Would love any suggestions or input from anyone! 

Picture are pretty uneventful at this point. Will update when i aquascape. 

Is it normal to have all this salty foam at the top? 

1516039764627-1280667211.jpg

1516039837755-1274201663.jpg

You should start a separate build thread for this. I have minimal coarse grained sand in my fluval spec 3. I would recommend removing substrate , it’s hard to clean . The stock light is useless. You don’t have to fix the rock, it should stack up just fine. Get something like ro buddie and a bucket of salt (instant ocean or anything reputable ) , that’s first and probably most important thing now. Get a separate heater and pump to mix and heat the new salt water mix as well

6 minutes ago, Gaviota said:

Ok. Sorry. Trying to figurr out the forum. Deleting. 

Oh no, I don’t mean to discourage. This is just fine. The forum exist to help each other. Having a dedicated thread for your build just helps keeping things relevant to your tank in one place. No need to delete 

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Anyone run an ai prime or equivalent on their spec?

I have a prime I’m not using right now that I’m considering putting on my mine so I second this question  

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys. Just picked up a fluval to start my reef but I’m having heating issues. I put a 50 watt heater in the back compartment with the pump, but the water does not seem to circulate out of there. So the water is heated in there but in the display it is much cooler. Where do you guys put your heater to avoid this issue 

On 1/15/2019 at 8:12 AM, Ckane2 said:

I have a prime I’m not using right now that I’m considering putting on my mine so I second this question  

Definitely run it lower than you would normally.

I tried 2 brains at 70%

1 hour ago, ronix said:

Hey guys. Just picked up a fluval to start my reef but I’m having heating issues. I put a 50 watt heater in the back compartment with the pump, but the water does not seem to circulate out of there. So the water is heated in there but in the display it is much cooler. Where do you guys put your heater to avoid this issue 

My heater is in the chamber where the water goes in next to my media basket.

Temp in tank is 79/80, same as back chambers

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ronix said:

I had the same problem, I left it in that chamber and to fix the problem I poked a few pin holes in the return pump tubing, that way water in that chamber circulates and the display is heated. I used a thumb tac and it made holes so small it doesn’t effect return flow much at all, but gives circulates in that chamber. That’ll also save space for your filter media 

The heater in either chamber should be the same as the display as its circulating from the back chamber into the display.

2 factors could be an issue: the original pump is not strong enough or the heater isn't strong enough.

Running heaters in the return chamber is only same if it's not touching the return hose and you have an ato.

• 2 weeks later...

So I upgraded to the 606 pump that is 156gph which seemed great until I added a frogspawn. No matter where I put it it’s getting blown away. Im thinking of going back to the stock pump, or is there a better way to make the upgraded pump work?

5 hours ago, ronix said:

So I upgraded to the 606 pump that is 156gph which seemed great until I added a frogspawn. No matter where I put it it’s getting blown away. Im thinking of going back to the stock pump, or is there a better way to make the upgraded pump work?

Direction of the nozzle is really important with an upgraded pump. I have the same issue. Mine is directed to the back wall, slightly upturned.

12 hours ago, ronix said:

I used a spin stream to move the flow around and calm it down.  

• 1 year later...

Hey I was wondering if anyone is still active on the form. I am just getting into the salt water hobby and went through all these forms to learn as much as possible. I’m rocking a Fluval Spec V.

Starting my old Fluval spec after a tank break for a couple years. 

I am running it with a Kessil 160blue. 

for filter and circulation I am using some old pumps I had laying around. 

I guess is some what a budget tank. 

used half live sand and half dry, live rock came with a emerald crab and a pompom crab hiding in it. (need more when available again)

for the corals, they were all small frags without names. and I am not say enough to name them. growing nicely tho. 

bought the mini maxi and hope it becomes the eye-catcher of the tank. 

A few questions came up:

Is there a skimmer small enough to fit in the filter department?

Would there be any fish that could work. 

Any reefer from the Vancouver Canada area in the chat?

IMG_0243.jpeg

IMG_0244.jpeg

IMG_0247.jpeg

IMG_0246.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2020 at 2:00 AM, TheDK83 said:

Starting my old Fluval spec after a tank break for a couple years. 

I am running it with a Kessil 160blue. 

for filter and circulation I am using some old pumps I had laying around. 

I guess is some what a budget tank. 

used half live sand and half dry, live rock came with a emerald crab and a pompom crab hiding in it. (need more when available again)

for the corals, they were all small frags without names. and I am not say enough to name them. growing nicely tho. 

bought the mini maxi and hope it becomes the eye-catcher of the tank. 

A few questions came up:

Is there a skimmer small enough to fit in the filter department?

Would there be any fish that could work. 

Any reefer from the Vancouver Canada area in the chat?

IMG_0243.jpeg

IMG_0244.jpeg

IMG_0247.jpeg

IMG_0246.jpeg

This is awesome! I recently converted my specV to salt, just added live stock this week. 

• 4 weeks later...

Reviving the thread a bit, I picked up a spec V yesterday for $40...used to have one. I got rid of it for some dumb reason and have regretted it since. My plan is an LPS reef with a clown, I plan to get the intank basket and have a 50 watt heater coming. Is a sicce 0.5 too big? I will probably need a random flow generator too. Lastly, I’m looking for a blade LED as I’m having this tank be peninsula style to be viewed from 3 sides, I’ll be making a stand too I think

• Like 1