Top Shelf Aquatics

Fluval Spec Owners Thread

evanski

• 2 weeks later...

So the two people I can find that added a second pump where the filter media goes both added the second one pretty high. I remember seeing someone add theirs low. Wondering which is better. Since there's a rock in the middle of the tank I'm thinking higher might be better, I can always angle it down with the nozzle, but I'm not sure I could angle it up if I put it on the bottom.

Looking for that persons tank, maybe I can ask how it worked out for them.

I had a second stock pump on the lower part of my first spec. Drilled the hole and placed another exact setup of stock. The flow was awesome, lps,zoas,sps,gorgs all loved it.

Guys,

I went with the default Fluval Spec 5, factory issued pump, etc. I added some infrastructure and built a nice nano reef. I never changed the return pump. I simply added a skimmer and a wave make for more wave action. Worked great BTW! I subsequently decided to build a knock off Fluval Spec in the form of a 21 gallon custom tank with a 13 gallon ATO below that tank. I migrated everything from the 5 gallon to the 21 gallon and decommissioned the 5 gallon.

Here's a link to the Fluval Spec V 5 gallon tank details and photos:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153688543393036&type=1&l=e53524e1d6

Here's a link to the custom 21 gallon:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153725193793036&type=1&l=410e8c760d

You will read that I had a catastrophic failure and that resulted in my shutting down the tank shortly before moving from FL to NV. I recently set the tank back up:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10154053650268036.1073741894.548923035&type=1&l=eeb9fab5ad

Going slow this time. Haven't decided what I am going to do. Online orders for livestock for sure. LFS in the desert suck. Hopefully, everyone can get to the photos.

• Like 1

Many people still got there tanks running? Think of setting one up

Great tank to use and maintain. I moved on to the Mr Aqua 22L. If you go with a fluval Spec V, it won't let you down. Mine was up for over 2 years.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

How have people found having a shrimp and goby pair in the spec? I'm looking at down sizing and thinking of keeping them

i don't see how it isn't possible. but i really don't know too much about stocking anything smaller than 10 gallons so you probably aren't getting any help from me. this might help though http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/74703-lgreens-ultimate-guide-to-nano-fish/

Just joined the Spec III club!!! I was intending on starting a "reef jar" but they had a 25% off sale at Petco and I jumped on it.

I'm horrible at tank threads but I'm deciding to make this work so I'll post the link once it's started.

Until then:

1121160043_zpsexcovcx5.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

ajmckay, old lady got me this same setup today. How's this light? I see they've upgraded it a lot from the old spec 3. Anyone know if it's capable of softies? If not I'll throw a par38 on it and keep on trucking.

ajmckay, old lady got me this same setup today. How's this light? I see they've upgraded it a lot from the old spec 3. Anyone know if it's capable of softies? If not I'll throw a par38 on it and keep on trucking.

The light is pretty impressive actually. I could wish it had 2-3x the blue LEDs, but I have some zoas and rics in there and everything seems to be doing well. I'm noticing growth.

My original plan was to make up a quick DIY LED - but I'm probably going to delay it for some time (maybe forever?) given the quality of this light.

On another note - all you Fluval Spec owners should make one of these:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/378561-picosmall-aquarium-spot-cleaning-device-thats-cheap-and-easy/

Good to hear that light is pretty decent. I was going to diy a square of cree or a par 38 as well. I guess I will if this one doesn't seem to keep up. Thanks for the reply. And that's a nice little suction cleaner you made there.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a stock Fluval Sea EVO 5 gallon that's been going strong for almost a year.

Yellow Clown Goby

Tangaroa Goby

3 Sexy Shrimp

2 Peppermint Shrimp

Emerald Crab

Porcelin Crab

Hammer Coral

Duncan

Frogspawn

Zoas

Mushrooms

Xenia

Kenya Tree

Considering a few changes...

What's the advantage of a media basket?

Does the Aqueon pump upgrade make a big difference? 

Thanks!

IMG_9954.JPG

My Spec 3

- Thread

- It's almost 8 month old tank. Initially, it ran on ABI 12w LED bulb, now on kessil A80. Got rid of stock filter/media. Aqua Clear 20 HoB was added (filter floss, chemipure blue) after I introduced a tail spot blenny.  

- This tank was used as QT for my BC29 (for three fishes, fist couple of months).

- Most coral & LRs are from my BC29 tank.

- Weekly 70-80% WC.

- Mostly zoa, paly, with a single blasto in the center.

- CuC : 1 hermit crab, 1 red emerald crab, 1 pyramid snail.

- FTS

This tank is controlled  by reef-pi, my open-source raspberry pi based controller :-)

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...
Findingjosh

Here to share my over modded fluval spec v office tank.

Tank:

-fluval spec v open top w/ stock return pump

Light/flow:

-current usa orbit marine loop w/ powerhead

Heat:

-cobalt 50w

Filtration:

-mame protein skimmer

-DIY own designed chaeto reactor using an aqualifter and a happy light

-marine pure balls

-chemipure blue

-sponge prefilter

-live rock/ sand

Ato:

Hydor Ato

Livestock: 

Pompom crab

Sexy shrimp

3x nessarius snails

2x glowing marginalla snail

Feather duster

Trying to decide what fish to put in there20170724_204155.thumb.jpg.c6bf7b439d24675eff100eecc8f7200e.jpg

Corals:

gsp

Green hammer

Dragon eyes zoas

Pulsing xenia 

yellow toadstool 

Kenya tree

Let me know what you think, how I can improve it, and what fish you think I should add

20170724_183839.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2017 at 11:19 PM, Findingjosh said:

Here to share my over modded fluval spec v office tank.

Tank:

-fluval spec v open top w/ stock return pump

Light/flow:

-current usa orbit marine loop w/ powerhead

Heat:

-cobalt 50w

Filtration:

-mame protein skimmer

-DIY own designed chaeto reactor using an aqualifter and a happy light

-marine pure balls

-chemipure blue

-sponge prefilter

-live rock/ sand

Ato:

Hydor Ato

Livestock: 

Pompom crab

Sexy shrimp

3x nessarius snails

2x glowing marginalla snail

Feather duster

Trying to decide what fish to put in there20170724_204155.thumb.jpg.c6bf7b439d24675eff100eecc8f7200e.jpg

Corals:

gsp

Green hammer

Dragon eyes zoas

Pulsing xenia 

yellow toadstool 

Kenya tree

Let me know what you think, how I can improve it, and what fish you think I should add

20170724_183839.jpg

:welcome:to Nano-Reef!  Very nice looking!  I suggest one or a pair of green banded gobies, or a small blenny like the tailspot. :)

• 2 months later...
Thrassian Atoll

Would the small aquamaxx nemolight work over the Evo 5?  I really want to upgrade the light to get a higher kelvin range into the 14k-20k.  Hard to picture this light over the tank without seeing it.  I don't the 24" would fit correct even though the footprint is smaller than 24"?

https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx_NemoLight_AquaMarine_Nano_LED_Fixture_With_Controller_18_Watts_LED_Light_Fixtures_for_Aquariums-AquaMaxx-UJ94547-FILTFILD-vi.html?utm_source=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_content=UJ94547&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItsK4-bGX1wIVgVh-Ch2MGgRmEAQYASABEgK7WvD_BwE

• 1 month later...

Hoping someone can drop some knowledge on me about the water level of this tank. I have an Evo 5 leak testing right now, and running the pump to see how the water flows. I have both of the 'slits' covered right now with some tape (temporarily until I glue them shut). 

I'm used to the water level in the pump chamber being the lowest level on the Innovative Marine tanks, it doesn't seem like the Evo does this unless I have the water level just skimming the grates on the back. But then the water level is a few inches from the top. That can't be right? If I fill the tank about an inch below the top of the glass, all the water in the chambers and display are the same. Seems like quite a bit of evap could happen before I even notice that it needs a top off. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi New member from the UK here. Your pictures have inspired me to get my Fluval Spec V out of the loft and dust it off.

So far my build will be

Standard Lights - UK tank got upgraded lights a couple of years back and will only be keeping zoas and mushrooms, SPS are in the bigger tank

Pump - Newa Mini Jet 606

Filter - InTank Media rack with floss, ChemiPure Elite, Purigen (top to Bottom)

AutoAqua Micro ATO with Peristalic pump rather than supplied one.

My question is I have put the 606 in today and it's really noisy. Have checked and can't see it touching either the glass or plastic sides on the return section and I left the suction feet on. Has anyone else had this and how long did it take the pump to run in?

Thanks in Advance

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. Started setting up my  coral only fluval spec 3 as a pico this week. Ive had it in my garage for a couple years as it was my daughter's beta tank but the fish went with a move and i never set it up. I started to read about  saltwater tanks and saw this whole world of picos and became enamored with the idea! Never done saltwater but did manage to maintain a nice 90 gallon mangrove biotope brackish tank of archer fish for about 5 years.  im thinking im in for an adventure. Heres where im at with it.

I bought arag alive bahama oolite (on accident grabbed the wrong bag, was wanting special grade, but oh well). I have about an inch and a half to 2 inches of substrate.  Concerned i have too much... i saw a thread on here with a fellow that has a beautiful pico running for 5 years and eventually ditched substrate alltogether... do you think this is ok as an initial substrate set up? Should i remove some now or do so gradually over the course as it becomes more stocked?

Filled with petcos Imagitarium Sea Water (no lfs around me other than this). I cant mix my own now as i have horrible well water and no RO. Plan on getiing a filter later so can at least drink our water too! 

I have a tiny heater that is auto set to 78 degrees: Aqueon preset heater 50w

I put this in the chamber with the pump making sure no electrical wire was resting on it which wasnt as easy as it sounds. 

A digital temp monitor: imagitarium

Running stock pump and filter with carbon removed. Plan to upgrade to the 404 i see eveyone seems to be using later. 

I also picked up the API 5 in 1 test dip sticks.. ph, no2, no3, kh, gh and then realized they dont test for amonia until i got home, so i plan on taking them back if theyll take um. Ill keep them if i need them... suggestions?

Been running tank with light off for 4 days now. Figured id check to see if the thermometer and digital temp are reliable and doing what they should before i start buying anything else... so far so good. Been holding at 77.8 - 78.4 the whole time. 

Sooo...

On order is 4 lbs of Reef Saver Live Dry Rock, Penso and Co , Salinity Refractometer for Aquarium, Fish Tank Seawater ATC Hydrometer Dual Scale (1.0 to 1.070 S.G.) , the API Master Saltwater Test Kit and ARC Reef Coraline Algae + Nitrafying Bacteria in a Bottle. 

Plan on adding the Coral Compulsion Par 30 LED about a month from now once my dry live rock has cured (seller BRS suggested leaving lights off for 30 days so i dont see the point in buying a new light today).

Do not plan on doing any water changes through the cycling of the tank which im planning will take at least 30 days from when i add the rock.  Sound good?

In place of an auto topper i drew a fine line on the side of tank with a sharpie where water line is and top of with distilled.  It seems to be about 1 or 2 ounces per day which i know cause i use a baby bottle to measure. 

I used two of the dipsticks... shhh i dont think petco will notice... 

1-12-2018:

gh > deep purple 180, KH: 240, Ph: 7.5-8, NO2 and NO3 0

1-15-2018:

GH > 180, KH: 120, Aall others the same

Where'd the KH go and why?

Here's my other main questions: is it pointless to use the ARC Coraline if im not running lights? should i just run the stock 7500k light? Is this light of any use to a coral tank? Do i need silicone to expoxy the rock or can i just stack it? Rock supplier says this rock interlocks tightly. 

So thats where im at. Would love any suggestions or input from anyone! 

Picture are pretty uneventful at this point. Will update when i aquascape. 

Is it normal to have all this salty foam at the top? 

1516039764627-1280667211.jpg

1516039837755-1274201663.jpg