ReefCleaners.org

Fluval Spec Owners Thread

evanski

Just got mine set up this past Monday.

Equipment:
Spec V
Stock pump is being upgraded to the Mini Jet 606 Saturday once the mail gets here.
Hydor Theo 50 Watt Heater Saturday once the mail gets here.
In tank surface skimmer Saturday once the mail gets here.
Hydor Flo deflector

Lighting:
Coral Compulsion 14W PAR30 LED 18K in about two weeks.

Livestock:
About 7lbs live sand.
Just over 5lbs live rock.
Spaghetti worm from live rock
1 Nerite snail
1 Nassariuss snail
1 Astera star

Using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals
Filter media is filter floss, purigen and chemi pur

http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/rawlins06/media/IMG_20140912_194117812_zpsraqdhkjr.jpg.html'>IMG_20140912_194117812_zpsraqdhkjr.jpg

• Like 2

I wonder how long it will take Hagen/Fluval to come out with AIO nano tanks for Reefs, similar in size with the Specs, with no modding required. :lol:

They gotta be cooking something up once they've seen our tanks!

2004jeeplaredo
I wonder how long it will take Hagen/Fluval to come out with AIO nano tanks for Reefs, similar in size with the Specs, with no modding required. :lol:

You would think they would. That being said, few companys have tanks that dont need mods. I dont understand why they always seem to put underpowered pumps in them and poor poor lights.

• Like 1

They could make a killing... They could advertise an SPS-ready tank, with pumps and LED's actually capable of supporting them, and charge a hefty penny. Lower-tier versions could be sold to those only interested in softies/LPS at a smaller price. Then Seachem and Boyd's could even dip their hands in the pot and put their products in the packages as well. It seems stupid that this hasn't happened already...

• Like 2

they did the m40/m60/m90, it's just too bad they're not available in the states.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just grabbed think tank, was $50 and I couldn't resist. I'm a total newb about LEDs... but obviously I would like to upgrade the stock lighting.

Could I get some help with my options without too much handy work involved? I'd prefer being able to just plug it in and go, but I also don't have unlimited funds. I'm not trying to grow any serious corals, just plain old shrooms, GSP, xenia, beginner type stuff. The more suggestions the better!

11kxiya.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just grabbed think tank, was $50 and I couldn't resist. I'm a total newb about LEDs... but obviously I would like to upgrade the stock lighting.

Could I get some help with my options without too much handy work involved? I'd prefer being able to just plug it in and go, but I also don't have unlimited funds. I'm not trying to grow any serious corals, just plain old shrooms, GSP, xenia, beginner type stuff. The more suggestions the better!

11kxiya.jpg

Just saw this. You can get some decent LED strips from Ecoxotic (I have five strips on my 5g tank). They are like $18/each. Depending on how many you want to add you'll need a splitter and power supply (both under $20, maybe under $10).

My hammers, Candy Canes, palythoas, zoas, shrooms are all growing really well. Just added the 4th and 5th strip and my Candy Cane doubled in size the next day.

These would be more than fine for the soft corals you mentioned.

Welcome to the club.

I though I seen during MACNA 2014 that Fluval was releasing a reef ready Spec? If memory serves it is a little bigger and is capable of housing a special skimmer Fluval was also releasing and an upgraded LED fixture. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Just saw this. You can get some decent LED strips from Ecoxotic (I have five strips on my 5g tank). They are like $18/each. Depending on how many you want to add you'll need a splitter and power supply (both under $20, maybe under $10).

My hammers, Candy Canes, palythoas, zoas, shrooms are all growing really well. Just added the 4th and 5th strip and my Candy Cane doubled in size the next day.

These would be more than fine for the soft corals you mentioned.

. Would you prefer the exotic strips over a Par30?

. Would you prefer the exotic strips over a Par30?

I haven't used a Par30 before but it will definitely be cheaper and be enough light. Many people on this forum love the Par30/38.

I haven't used a Par30 before but it will definitely be cheaper and be enough light. Many people on this forum love the Par30/38.

awesome, thanks for the reply

Just got mine set up this past Monday.

Equipment:

Spec V

Stock pump is being upgraded to the Mini Jet 606 Saturday once the mail gets here.

Hydor Theo 50 Watt Heater Saturday once the mail gets here.

In tank surface skimmer Saturday once the mail gets here.

Hydor Flo deflector

Lighting:

Coral Compulsion 14W PAR30 LED 18K in about two weeks.

Livestock:

About 7lbs live sand.

Just over 5lbs live rock.

Spaghetti worm from live rock

1 Nerite snail

1 Nassariuss snail

1 Astera star

Using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals

Filter media is filter floss, purigen and chemi pur

IMG_20140912_194117812_zpsraqdhkjr.jpg

. How is the Par30 doing? I'm getting soon. Just wondering if it's the right choice for the 5gal
  • Like 1