ReefCleaners.org

TeamIM24's Innovative Marine Nuvo 24 FTS 7-16-2015

TeamIM24

Steensj2004

Looking good man! I am trying to get ahold of a new Innovative Marine Ghost skimmer before my business trip and get it broken in..... Love the corals, did your zoas open up?

• Like 1

Looking good man! I am trying to get ahold of a new Innovative Marine Ghost skimmer before my business trip and get it broken in..... Love the corals, did your zoas open up?

Thank you! The after burner zoas haven't open back up yet. We moved them up off the sand to the lowest rock so it wasn't a big move and they are getting about the same flow and light. The snails were all over it from the start but when they weren't on it it would open nicely. Only 1 of the 5 was open this morning and the rest were closed up tight. Not sure what else to do at this stage.

Steensj2004

May bjust be mad if the snails were bothering them. I have a few zoas that seem to stay pissed after something bugs them. Somtimes for a week. I have a frag now that has 3-4 closed polyps because a shrimp got on them 5 days ago....lol. Fickle beeches..

• Like 1

I think the zoas not opening was a combination of nudis and flat worms. As best we can tell we got the nudis out and have been dipping the zoas and paly everyother day. I went to the LFS and picked up some FWE yesterday and missed a GREAT opportunity.

I was looking at their $5 corals and saw a brightly colored zoa with 8 large polyps. I asked the owner about it and when I pointed to it his countenance totally changed. It was an 8 polyp Armor of God. I was pretty sure it was expensive but didn't know how expensive. He asked me if I wanted him to bag it up. I told him that I wanted to look around more and when I came back it was in the $20 section (still a good deal). I went and asked him if he would still sell it for $5 and he said it should of never been in that section. Oh well. We will be waiting for Memorial Day weekend to see if anyone is running some big specials.

• 2 weeks later...

Taking care of the flat worms today. Siphoned at least 150 out before adding the FWE. Snails started dropping immediately. Grabbed a bunch the snails and put them in bucket of mixed water we had standing by for the water change. Quite a few snails bounced right back within 5 minutes and were hanging on the side of the bucket. Added carbon to the media basket and siphoned at least another 100 flat worms out and did a water change. After that I think we only saw 5 or so flat worms floating around and got them out and just did another water change. We plan on doing one more water change tomorrow and then pulling the carbon and replacing it with purigen and CBE. Does any one recommend running the carbon longer or does that sound about right?

Steensj2004

Wow, the one time I had to run FWE I never had a problem with anything, Nuked the flatworms, didn't bother anything else? I wouldnt worry about running carbon any longer than recommended. I never did anything but put the CPE and Purigen back into the tank after treating. Good Luck!

• Like 1

Everything is looking good this morning and all snails seem to be just fine. We will swap out the carbon for our regular media tonight.

I am also having a bit of a flatworm outbreak! I have beed trying to vac them out but what is FWE? Also any other tips you might have would be awesome, thanks in advance!

Taking care of the flat worms today. Siphoned at least 150 out before adding the FWE. Snails started dropping immediately. Grabbed a bunch the snails and put them in bucket of mixed water we had standing by for the water change. Quite a few snails bounced right back within 5 minutes and were hanging on the side of the bucket. Added carbon to the media basket and siphoned at least another 100 flat worms out and did a water change. After that I think we only saw 5 or so flat worms floating around and got them out and just did another water change. We plan on doing one more water change tomorrow and then pulling the carbon and replacing it with purigen and CBE. Does any one recommend running the carbon longer or does that sound about right?
Everything is looking good this morning and all snails seem to be just fine. We will swap out the carbon for our regular media tonight.

I am also having a bit of a flatworm outbreak! I have beed trying to vac them out but what is FWE? Also any other tips you might have would be awesome, thanks in advance!

Flatworm Exit. Just follow the directions to a "T" and you will be fine. Vacuum out as many as you can before adding FWE. It's the toxins the flatworms release that are bad for the tank so you need to be ready to vacuum out a ton when you add the medicine, remove your media and add carbon and do a water change.

Been making weekly trips to the LFS for coral deals. In the last week we have added a blue Kenya Tree, a green Kenya tree, Neon Green Toadstool Leather, Neon Green Paly and a larger Zoa colony (not sure the name). Will post pictures as soon as we can. Everything is still doing well.

On another note, our modified Tunze 9002 has been wet for 4 weeks as of yesterday. It just started skimming on Saturday. Micro bubbles seem to be on the decline finally. I didn't expect it to take so long to break in. I am not sure (now that it is skimming) how high the bubbles should be in the neck. We will be adjusting the valve to see what works best for us. It has been very quiet which has been a plus.

Flatworm Exit. Just follow the directions to a "T" and you will be fine. Vacuum out as many as you can before adding FWE. It's the toxins the flatworms release that are bad for the tank so you need to be ready to vacuum out a ton when you add the medicine, remove your media and add carbon and do a water change.

Awesome advice, bought fwe, 12 drops and they were floating around my water column in 15 minutes, added some poly fill, blew all my live rocck with a power head & did a 30% wc, no nitrate spike of any kind and now have only seen a couple since. Did a second dose a day later, did the same routine and now i dont see any. Great stuff, not sure why so many bash the stuff in the forumns?

• Like 1

Awesome advice, bought fwe, 12 drops and they were floating around my water column in 15 minutes, added some poly fill, blew all my live rocck with a power head & did a 30% wc, no nitrate spike of any kind and now have only seen a couple since. Did a second dose a day later, did the same routine and now i dont see any. Great stuff, not sure why so many bash the stuff in the forumns?

Agree. It worked great for us.

• 2 weeks later...

LFS had big sale for Father's Day. Naturally I couldn't stay away.

post-81248-0-22852000-1402783048_thumb.jpg

post-81248-0-14283100-1402783038_thumb.jpg

post-81248-0-26639500-1402783028_thumb.jpg

Hoping to pick up some fish at the 4th of July sale.

• Like 1

Skimmer is still going at it. Lots of foam at the top. At this rate it puts about 1 cm of liquid in the bottom of the cup a week. Is that what would be considered drier skim?

post-81248-0-47784700-1402863706_thumb.jpg

I cleaned it yesterday and couldn't believe how nasty it smelled!

Steensj2004

Yeah, mine does close to that too, I end up with lotsa dark skim sludge as opposed to water. The sludge builds on the inside of the skimmer cup inlet tube. I lowered it a bit today. Picked up a few new corals today as well, I'll post some picks later. That Monti and acan are bada$$...!

• Like 1

Yeah, mine does close to that too, I end up with lotsa dark skim sludge as opposed to water. The sludge builds on the inside of the skimmer cup inlet tube. I lowered it a bit today. Picked up a few new corals today as well, I'll post some picks later. That Monti and acan are bada$$...!

Thanks. As many others have noted, the pics don't do them justice. They are stunning under the blue lights of my Razor. Looking forward to seeing your new pickups...

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to moving most of our newer corals off the sand and glueing them to the the LR. First time using putty and was pleased with how it turned out. So far all the corals are doing well in their new, permanent homes.

FTS from today:

post-81248-0-99072500-1405204719_thumb.jpg

Saw these in our tank last night. They are tiny.

post-81248-0-56598000-1405512638_thumb.png

Looks like some type of filter feeder. Do feather dusters grow in a colony like this? Any idea what it is?

Kinda look like Aptasia, but i doubt it.....interesting though

When I google aiptasia I see quite a few images that look really similar to mine. They are tiny right now and barely visible. If this is a pest I want to get rid of it ASAP. If it is aiptasia I have read that they are quite hard to get rid of.

Steensj2004

I Never seen em grow in a group like that. Get a ORA Certified Aptasia Eating Peppermint Shrimp, he will crush those. I got one and he ate every one in my 75. Make sure to get a real one, some stores sell ones that aren't the right kind.

I Never seen em grow in a group like that. Get a ORA Certified Aptasia Eating Peppermint Shrimp, he will crush those. I got one and he ate every one in my 75. Make sure to get a real one, some stores sell ones that aren't the right kind.

I hope you are right in that they don't grow in groups!

• Like 1
lilmatty5dimes

awesome tank its looking great. glad to see another central Floridian on here. WWC has some of the greatest selection of coral of course with a $$$. lol and have you heard about the space coast reef conference? i think its next week in melbourne.

awesome tank its looking great. glad to see another central Floridian on here. WWC has some of the greatest selection of coral of course with a $$$. lol and have you heard about the space coast reef conference? i think its next week in melbourne.

We have been to WWC 5-6 times and purchased our frogspawn and birdsnest from them. They tend to be pretty pricey overall but recently added a $10 frag tank and everything is buy 2 get 1 free in that tank. It had some good frags in it. We have been buying most of our stuff from Top Shelf which has a really good selection, clean tanks, helpful staff and runs specials (up to 60% off this weekend) pretty often. We have heard a lot of good things about Sea in the City but haven't been there yet.

Haven't heard about space coast reef conference. We did go to Reef A Palooza and picked up quite a few corals. We plan on going to Coralcon in October. I think it is in Kissimmee.

• Like 1