ReefCleaners.org

TeamIM24's Innovative Marine Nuvo 24 FTS 7-16-2015

TeamIM24

We reintroduced the clown to the DT this morning after a week in the breeder cup. The wrasse attacked the clown 10-15 times and then left it alone. The Royal Gramma flared at the clown several times but no attacks. Now everyone is getting along just fine and have been for several hours now. It is nice to have 4 fish swimming all over the tank.

We found the clown laying on the FF one morning this week. It didn't make it. Any suggestions on how to prevent this in the future? There isn't much room in the back and I don't want to restrict the flow.

Dang that sucks.

Wife and I took it harder than our 6 year old. She was like "I know this has happened to other people and at least we still have three pretty fish". Will probably get another clown just not a tiny one.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear about your clown, i, not sur ebut what about adding a pair vs a single, safety in #'s?

That might be too many fish for our 24. The clown was doing great until it swam through the overflow. We went to a couple LFS in the past week and I think we will likely just go for a slightly bigger clown. Our first one was tiny and we can still get a little one, just not that tiny and see if it will make it.

Started setting up the Apex today. Pretty easy to get it plugged in and set up with Fusion. Temp probe was plug and play. Even with watching the videos from BRS it took me a bit to figure out how to set up my fuge light so it comes on when the DT lights are off. Same with the ATO. Pretty cool what these things can do and I am looking forward to learning what all it is capable of.

FTS 1-3-2015

post-81248-0-28037900-1420309740_thumb.jpg

Set up the Apex this week and we are really glad we got it. Programming has been pretty simple and it is really nice to be able to click a button for feedings and water changes instead of unplugging everything. Highly recommend one.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Happy new year and tank is looking good. Arent u glad u got the apex? Something else I recommend when you have some extra $ to spare. Get the ALD module with a couple of leak detectors to put on the floor and back of tank. Just give u a peace of mind incase of any over flow or touch wood tank burst. It saved me once when my stupid ATO decided to fail and kept filling my tank till it overflowed. I got a warning text msg, turn off ATO with the fusion, Rushed home to quickly clean up the floor so my hardwood doesn't pop and check my salinity and did a water change with concentrated saltwater to bring up my salinity. Everything turned out a ok thanks to the ALD.

• Like 2

Happy new year and tank is looking good. Arent u glad u got the apex? Something else I recommend when you have some extra $ to spare. Get the ALD module with a couple of leak detectors to put on the floor and back of tank. Just give u a peace of mind incase of any over flow or touch wood tank burst. It saved me once when my stupid ATO decided to fail and kept filling my tank till it overflowed. I got a warning text msg, turn off ATO with the fusion, Rushed home to quickly clean up the floor so my hardwood doesn't pop and check my salinity and did a water change with concentrated saltwater to bring up my salinity. Everything turned out a ok thanks to the ALD.

We love the Apex. We noticed our temp is a lot more stable using the temp probe to regulate the heater than the heater's own thermostat. We have leak detectors but they aren't wired to the Apex. I will look into getting a used ALD. I haven't set up the webcam yet but hope to do that over the weekend. The Apex is a great addition for us and we are really glad we got it.

• Like 1

Picked up a used Apex ALD with leak detectors on another forum and it arrives on Thursday.

We also picked up another clown fish since our first one swam through the overflow. This clown is a bit bigger (basically the size of our 6 line) so hopefully it won't wind up on the ff like the last one. We have it in the breeder box in the DT and the wrasse is starting to ignore it after 2-3 full days of trying to attack it.

• Like 1

My daughter loves the hermit crabs. When we feed the tank they crawl on her hand which she has "trained them to do." This is "Pinchy" who stopped by for a portrait.

post-81248-0-22511800-1422112324_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

FTS 2-1-2015

post-81248-0-94613500-1422885023_thumb.jpg

Plate Coral

post-81248-0-64071900-1422885052_thumb.jpg

I downloaded the photoshop app which is free and messed around with it a bunch this weekend. I still need to figure out what light setting on the Razor is the best starting place to get a picture decent enough to tweak.

Picked up 9 corals (zoas, acans, monti's) from Salt Critters during their sale and can't wait for them to arrive.

• Like 1

Our nano conchs arrived. They are tiny but really cute.

post-81248-0-38022700-1423179645_thumb.png

That's probably the first and last time we will see them all together. They have already spread out around the tank and got to work.

• Like 1

Our nano conchs arrived. They are tiny but really cute.

attachicon.gifNano Conch.png

That's probably the first and last time we will see them all together. They have already spread out around the tank and got to work.

I can never keep track of my snails. They all disappear or get murdered by my crabs.

• Like 1

I can never keep track of my snails. They all disappear or get murdered by my crabs.

Our six line raced across the tank last night and grabbed one of our bigger blue legged hermits during a shell change. It was quite a battle as the crab was trying to attack the wrasse while the wrasse swam all over the tank with it. At one point the wrasse got pulled into the overflow with the crab in its mouth. Couldn't believe it as strong and fast as the wrasse is. It freed itself in about 10 seconds. Needless to say the crab didn't survive the encounter.

lilmatty5dimes

6-lines are some aggressive fish. I had one into old nano and he would attack every lil starfish I had in the tank. Plus they're a pita to get out cause they are so quick and can hide really well. Even in a 7.5g with 3 pieces of rocks. Lol

6-lines are some aggressive fish. I had one into old nano and he would attack every lil starfish I had in the tank. Plus they're a pita to get out cause they are so quick and can hide really well. Even in a 7.5g with 3 pieces of rocks. Lol

Ours made quick work of our brittle stars. We see it occasionally eat a flat worm but not at the rate we would like. I can't imagine successfully catching it.

Picked up these zoas on Friday. I can't remember the name of them but they look like sunny side up eggs with a blue skirt.

post-81248-0-56617000-1423431112_thumb.jpg

I think they are called Blue Pinwheels (at least from what I could see on the web that looked similar).

Buddy of mine that worked for Apple was looking at my FTS and asked me if I had turned on HDR. I hadn't but it makes a difference in the photos for sure. He is going to show me how to adjust the temp a bit as well to get some of the blue out. This photo was taken with the lights on 100%.

post-81248-0-61767000-1423771863_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

We have been slowing moving frags up off the sandbed so we have room for stuff we purchase at Reef A Palooza next weekend. Starting to feel like we need a bigger tank.

FTS%204-1-2015.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

We went to Reef A Palooza yesterday and had a great time. Spent quite a bit of time talking to JoshPorkSandwich and purchased some killer zoas from him at a great price.

JPSZoas.jpg

• 3 months later...

Trading in our Birdsnest today. Can't believe it went from a tiny twig to a colony that is bigger than a softball in 18 months. Hard to let it go but it is just too big for our tank. We have two frags off of it so we will start over with them.

Birdsnest%20Growth.png

Last FTS with Birdsnest from this morning.

FTS%207-16-15.jpg