Cultivated Reef

TeamIM24's Innovative Marine Nuvo 24 FTS 7-16-2015

TeamIM24

Personally, I don't clean my pumps on a standard cycle. I remove and clean every time I replace my media, which usually is once a month or so.

Anyone else clean it more or less often?

Went to World Wide Corals today in Orlando. It was our second trip there and they have a humongous selection of corals. We weren't planning on buying anything (you know what comes next) but couldn't resist as they had a bunch of $5 frags on sale. We showed mild restraint and purchased a birdsnest and frogspawn.

post-81248-0-45700400-1393116052_thumb.jpg post-81248-0-60765500-1393116081_thumb.jpg

Naturally the hermits mauled both of them as soon as they hit the tank. Everything seems to be doing well so far.

It seems like every time I pull the camera out the hermits start gathering around whatever I am shooting and photo bomb.

post-81248-0-24777000-1393116214_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I have the InTank media baskets in my 24 with FF, Purigen and CBE in one and FF in the other. I have noticed that they are "full" at the top. The overflow is filling them to the top and they are holding that level so it makes me wonder if my baskets are operating properly. Any thoughts? My recollection is that they didn't hold any water and the overflow used to pour through the ff instead of filling that top chamber.

post-81248-0-08315700-1393611389_thumb.jpg

It isn't a very good picture but both baskets are full to the rim and it appears the water is running down the front not through the ff.

We change the ff every Saturday if that matters.

• Like 1

I have my CPE in one side and my Purigen in the other. I too noticed this as soon as I put my CPE in. Its just flowing slower because it has to go through so much media that is slowing it down. I would take the Purigen and move it to the other side. And maybe rearrange the CPE bag a little. :)

• Like 1

We change the ff tomorrow so I will move the purigen to the other side then. I think I need to rehang the CPE bag anyway so it is about time I did a little media tank maintenance and see if it makes a difference.

We are moving the gramma back to the DT tomorrow after treating her for ich and letting the DT do its thing while she got better.

• Like 1

Thought about this a little more. I have ff, purigen and CBE in one media basket and just ff in the top of the other. If there is only ff in the top part of the one media basket why would it be backing up? There isn't any other media below the ff to slow it down.

Thought about this a little more. I have ff, purigen and CBE in one media basket and just ff in the top of the other. If there is only ff in the top part of the one media basket why would it be backing up? There isn't any other media below the ff to slow it down.

Do you have a powerhead shooting in the direction of the one that is backing up? Maybe the ff is clogged too. Something is obstructing it.

Do you have a powerhead shooting in the direction of the one that is backing up? Maybe the ff is clogged too. Something is obstructing it.

No. All I have are the spin streams. I will see if changing the ff makes a difference.

What kind of FF are u using? I've found the thin stuff clogs really fast. Now I use whatever Stevie T sells in bulk, hadn't had a problem since.

• Like 2

We changed it and it could have been any number of things. First of all, we changed them out and it was still overflowing. I think my wife was cutting them too big so we took one out and trimmed it a tad and it worked just fine when we put it back in. The other side was still puzzling. We changed out the ff with a smaller piece and it was still overflowing. I moved the purigen to the other side (which still worked fine) but it was still overflowing. I was sliding my Razor around and noticed that when I slid it back and it was over the media baskets that both sides were working normally. Move the light back and and the one basket overflowed immediately. We pulled the basket and looked for something underneath and there really wasn't anything (was thinking it was a snail) but we blasted the area with the turkey baster, stuck it back in and it started working properly. Within a couple minutes it had started overflowing again so I pulled it back out and hung the CBE. Seems like that was the final trick and it is working fine now on both sides.

We are using Poly-Filter that we have been buying on Amazon. It is time to order more and in looking at what InTank sells theirs is a much better bargain and from what it sounds like, a better product than what we have been using.

Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

Anyone else clean it more or less often?

I go through and clean all my pumps and power heads every 3-4 months or as needed if one gets clogged up sooner.

Nice pickups, I always have trouble resisting the $5 section myself.

I found that when my basket overflows I stuff the sides with floss as well and it eventually fixes itself.

• Like 1

Good coral pick ups! You get that fire shrimp yet? Mine has become more active the longer we have had him

Not yet. We are leaning towards a skunk shrimp. Seem like they have a lot of personality and are much more visible.

Not yet. We are leaning towards a skunk shrimp. Seem like they have a lot of personality and are much more visible.

They so have way more personalty there a lot of fun to watch

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

We went to reef a palooza and picked up six new corals. Been a while since I posted to my thread so I figured it was time to share.

post-81248-0-46813600-1399294195_thumb.jpg

post-81248-0-08755100-1399294221_thumb.jpg

post-81248-0-96937700-1399294229_thumb.jpg

post-81248-0-62784300-1399294246_thumb.jpg

post-81248-0-77308600-1399294260_thumb.jpg

post-81248-0-26132200-1399294269_thumb.jpg

We got all these for $90!

Updated FTS coming soon.

• Like 2

Let us know how your candy cane does, i have two of the exact some ones in both my tanks for over a month and don't see much growth in either of them, great color on them though!

• Like 1

Let us know how your candy cane does, i have two of the exact some ones in both my tanks for over a month and don't see much growth in either of them, great color on them though!

Will do. Everything ate yesterday and seems to be doing well.

My daughter and I picked up a skunk shrimp and a Hawaiian red people eater yesterday as a surprise gift for Mother's Day. Wife was really happy.

We drip acclimated the shrimp for about 2 hours and then put it into the display tank. Within about 90 minutes it fully molted.

post-81248-0-79094900-1399898840_thumb.png

post-81248-0-86797900-1399896224_thumb.jpg

Pretty cool to see. My wife happened to be watching when it came off. It floated to the bottom and a crab saw it and devoured it in a very short time.

Everything is doing well except our After Burner Zoa. It just hardly ever opens up. We decided to move it this morning to see if a change of scenario helps.

Long overdue full tank shot.

post-81248-0-14419900-1399896941_thumb.jpg