Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

TeamIM24's Innovative Marine Nuvo 24 FTS 7-16-2015

TeamIM24

FTS 2-1-15

post-81248-0-97906300-1422884868_thumb.jpg

FTS 11-1-14

post-81248-0-21453000-1414877288_thumb.jpg

We figured it was time to create our build thread since we finally have some creatures in our tank. With our daughter saying she wanted to be a marine biologist we started looking into reef tanks about a year ago. After the initial sticker shock we began saving for our first tank and "settled" on the Nuvo 24. We have really been enjoying the experience as well as the community here. Here is where we are so far:

Equipment:

Maxspect Razor 27" 16K Version

IM Spinstream (x2)

Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO

InTank Media (2)/Fuge Basket (FF, CB Blue in Media/Chaeto in fuge)

IM 350L Minimax reactor (not installed yet)

Modified Tunze 9002 w/InTank Cup

Sicce Voyager Nano

IM Magna Fuge LED

Cobalt Aquatics Neo-therm 100 watt heater (Tank sits between 78.8 and 79.9)

DIY mesh screen top

Spectrapure 90 GPD RO/DI

Tunze Care Magnet Nano

Apex Gold

Wishlist:

Some type of coral dosing pump/setup

Substrate:

25 pounds of live sand (can't remember which brand)

15ish pounds of live rock ($20 on craigslist)

Current Livestock:

CUC from ReefCleaners (our package contained over 140 snails and 4-6 hermits- They really hook you up!)

Bristle worms (came with live rock)

Skunk Shrimp

Brittle stars (5-6 that we just noticed one day) (Annihilated by six line wrasse)

Neon Blue Goby (Jetty)

Royal Gramma (RIP Wish)

Royal Gramma (RIP Wish 2.0)

Royal Gramma (Wish 3.0)

Six Line Wrasse (Missy)

Clown (Swam through the overflow)

Ocellaris Clown (Cuddle got too aggressive so we gave her to our LFS)

Nano Conch Snails (5)

Current Corals:

Indonesian Hammer

Red and Blue Acan Lord

Rainbow Acan

Acanthastrea (3)

Whammin Watermelon Zoa

Afterburner Zoa

Blue/Green Zoa (not sure the name)

Blue/Green/Gold Zoa (not sure the name)

Fire and Ice Zoa

Utter Chaos Zoa

Pacman Zoa

Red Hornet Zoa

Green Bay Packer Zoa

Blue Pinwheel Zoa

Some red/orange Zoa

Some green Zoa morphs

Some Gold Zoa morph

Eagle Eye Zoa

AOG Zoa

Sunny D's Zoa

Gatorade Zoa

Rastas Zoa

Green Kenya Tree

Blue Kenya Tree

Frogspawn

Neon Green Leather

Plate Coral Favia infection took out our plate as well :(

Plate Coral #2 (Not sure why #2 didn't make it)

Birdsnest

Nuclear Green Candy Cane

Hawaiian Red People Eater Paly

Neon Green Paly

Some Pink/Red Paly

Rainbow Montipora

Red Montipora

Green Montipora

Blue Green Favia

Orange Ricordea (2)

Yellow/blue Ricordea

Hollywood Stunner Chalice

Lime Rim Hot Spot Acanthastrea Rotundoflora

Pumpkin Pie Clove

Coral Wishlist:

More Zoas

You name it

I built the stand myself which was quite a pain since I didn't have a mitre saw until I needed to make the doors and trim. I put the frame together with a circular saw and jigsaw which was a huge pain. The frame itself took almost an entire Saturday to make all the cuts with the circular saw and get them close so the stand was stable. If I had access to a mitre saw at the beginning I think I could have put the whole thing together in 3-4 hours. Things you learn the hard way...

We did go through a couple of tanks after seeing others on this forum have tanks crack. Steve at IM was beyond awesome in sending out the newer, thicker tank, hand picked and checked by him personally. It arrived on a pallet and in great condition. I can't say enough about his customer service.

We will continue to post new pics as we add more to our tank. Thank you for all the help with this. We are really enjoying nano-reef.com and especially our Innovative Marine 24 friends on the forum.

• Like 5
keithfullermusic

great stand. i built one with a canopy for my 29G FW planted tank. its a great feeling knowing that you not only set up the aquarium yourself, but that you built the entire display.

also, i have a nuvo 16,and you have the exact same wishlist as me with fish.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Does it move at all? Might be some type of sponge.

I don't see it moving. I had wondered the same thing. Just seems so random after the tank has been up and running for a while to see that pop out of the rock. It is out 24/7 and the CUC just ignores it. I thought one of the blue legged hermits was going to check it out the other day but it went around it and never slowed up while going past.

It looks more like neomeris annulata (calcareous algae)

Thank you. I hadn't been able to figure out what it is and that seems to be it. Going to get at it during the next water change with the turkey baster.

I used to be obsessed with these tanks but now I can't decide between nuvo 24 or cad lights 34g mini II

The CAD tanks look good as well. We have been real happy with our 24 so far. We returned our original one for the thicker model. We are still real new to all of this but so far the IM 24 has been a good fit for us. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Yeah and that's the problem , I don't know which to pick. The Nuvo has awesome dimensions but I would need to rearrange my entire room to have it. The CAD has a larger water volume but Would be heavier.

Thank you. I hadn't been able to figure out what it is and that seems to be it. Going to get at it during the next water change with the turkey baster.

Blaster wouldn't work, you might need to pry it from the rock

Great thread, i just started up a Nuvo 8 to learn the hobby as though i have done fw, this will be my test set up. My question is how to you like your tank so far? The reason ii ask this is im going to convert one if my fw to salt, the one tank I'm considering to change is amount the exact dimensions of the Nuvo 24. I am goint to fabricate, or have someone do it for me, the exact same back plate with the same columns & add the custom caddys, media reactor & protein skimmer from IM. I will also do a couple os spin streams and us a mj1200 for a pump. I will be curious on how you like your system and if any mods come up or ideas that you wish you could change let me know please. Also if anyone else has this tank please chime in, looking for all the advice I can get!

Great thread, i just started up a Nuvo 8 to learn the hobby as though i have done fw, this will be my test set up. My question is how to you like your tank so far? The reason ii ask this is im going to convert one if my fw to salt, the one tank I'm considering to change is amount the exact dimensions of the Nuvo 24. I am goint to fabricate, or have someone do it for me, the exact same back plate with the same columns & add the custom caddys, media reactor & protein skimmer from IM. I will also do a couple os spin streams and us a mj1200 for a pump. I will be curious on how you like your system and if any mods come up or ideas that you wish you could change let me know please. Also if anyone else has this tank please chime in, looking for all the advice I can get!

One MJ1200 will not be close to enough flow for a tank this long. I would try dual MJ1200s.

One MJ1200 will not be close to enough flow for a tank this long. I would try dual MJ1200s.

Is that what you did for your Nuvo 24? Did you do any other upgrades or mods?

• 2 weeks later...

TeamIM24, I must say. After following your progress from start to finish in the IM sticky, I'm more than eager to start up my build. I was originally leaning towards the 16,but you've got me more and more leaning towards the 24. I'll keep you posted but more than likely I'll be joining your ranks in the IM24 owners. Honestly can't wait!

Beautiful setup, gorgeous stand.

-B_becker

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Do any of you clean the back interior wall of the DT? I have a mag cleaner to get the front three sides but haven't touched the back wall as of yet. We have snails on it 24/7 so I have just been letting them do their thing back there. In fact I don't clean the glass very often at all as the snails are all over it as well.

I bought one of those handie kits that had multiple adapters. And I use the sponge part for the back since it's acrylic. Because I don't want stuff building up back there. I thibk it's made by Topfin. Got it a petsmart.

• Like 1