Innovative Marine Aquariums

Drop off Vivarium-Frogs!

Giga

I will post a vid and a gaggle of pics!

Vivs are not so bad, also I don't think I'm put some nepenthes, as I don't want the basti's to get stuck. Thanks for the compliments!

Nepenthes are 100% safe for darts. Even if they're bad at swimming, they can climb out. I've seen tons of frogs in Nepenthes pitchers, even in real life.

If you're worried about it, you could try a species like N. glabrata. It's an extremely cute species with super tiny tubby pitchers. Here's a pic... http://images5.fotop.net/albums6/averyorchids/Nepenthes/Nepenthes_glabrata_1.jpg

It's fairly common as well and I could give you some vendor names if you decide you want to try Nepenthes. I've never found anything much bigger than an ant in my Nepenthes. :D

Not trying to convince you otherwise if you're going for a certain look... I just wanna vouch that they're safe for froggies. :)

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nepenthes are 100% safe for darts. Even if they're bad at swimming, they can climb out. I've seen tons of frogs in Nepenthes pitchers, even in real life.

There is some recent thread on dendroboard where the OP successfully kept some pumilio and some mini nepenthes without issues

If you're worried about it, you could try a species like N. glabrata. It's an extremely cute species with super tiny tubby pitchers. Here's a pic... http://images5.fotop.net/albums6/averyorchids/Nepenthes/Nepenthes_glabrata_1.jpg]http://images5.fotop.net/albums6/averyorchids/Nepenthes/Nepenthes_glabrata_1.jpg[/url]

It's fairly common as well and I could give you some vendor names if you decide you want to try Nepenthes. I've never found anything much bigger than an ant in my Nepenthes. :D

Not trying to convince you otherwise if you're going for a certain look... I just wanna vouch that they're safe for froggies. :)

There is some recent thread on dendroboard where the OP successfully kept some pumilio and some mini nepenthes without issues

Well then maybe I'll get a couple on a branch hanging off the drop off section of the tank

You could do Orchis Italica :P

I'm actually gonna try and avoid terrestrial plants though that is a unique one

So many scientific names... Must google

I lot of them I know just with all the research and repetition but Dr. Google still gets me all the info I need

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

/me doesn't see any pics and is dying to see them

Go with some orchids you can mount if you don't want terrestrial ones. :D

I just found this thread, tagging along. Just last week I told my daughter I've always wanted to do a viv, but the learning curve is what was turning me off. Now you've got me thinking about it again. Can't wait to see this thread continue :happydance: :happydance:

well thank you very much!

Don't think I posted this in here but this was my last vivarium, that I tore down right before my daughter was born

20121213123732.jpg

20121231140137.jpg

20121213123904.jpg

20121208190149.jpg

20121209191520.jpgdsc02688ua.jpg

dsc02712w.jpg

How big of a tank is that?? I might take your advice and do a vertical 10..

How big of a tank is that?? I might take your advice and do a vertical 10..

it was like 20x20x48 if I remember right

oh and making progress-It's hard to tell as thing are a mess right now but most the glass in on there-the rest will be done this weekend!

49fp.jpg

I just found this thread, tagging along. Just last week I told my daughter I've always wanted to do a viv, but the learning curve is what was turning me off. Now you've got me thinking about it again. Can't wait to see this thread continue :happydance: :happydance:

It's not so bad, just start and dendroboard and learn from everything, what's good and what to stay away from, life's too short not to try!

How hard is a viv to take care off

Cake walk compared to a reef

Damn, another one of your builds that I have to follow...

:)

Cool! Are you using two pieces of glass for each side of the drop off or is there some way to cut glass in an L shape?

I'm sure you can cut glass into an big l piece, but I just use two as I already had the glass. In hindsight I should have used clear silicone for that seem but once it's cleaned up it won't bother me

Just make sure you find a significant other who will enjoy them as well, my wifey lets me be me and that invokes these crazy projects. On a serious note life would be pretty dull if I couldn't express my form of art.

Using an old quote. Could just skip the old lady all together. Awesome build BTW.

it's like 1/10th the cost, and 1/10th the work haha

Well from what I know about maintenance on a reef lol this seems way easier

Whatttt!!!Howd i miss this?! I cant believe you bro you never cease to amaze me. This is going to look so awesome.

I'm a little hurt you missed this! J/k I do hope it comes out as well as I see it in my head lol

Well from what I know about maintenance on a reef lol this seems way easier

Once it's setup(the fun part) you just have to keep up with bug cultures ,and that's a cake walk, there nothing really involved. Especially if you have just one tank, but I'm setting up 5 lol

Edit: I have made some progress, so pics soon!

Archived