Innovative Marine Aquariums

Drop off Vivarium-Frogs!

Giga

Think the frogs will have trouble going back and forth from the drop, or they will not hangout down there as often?

I depends on the frogs, some just climb straight up the glass while others,like tincs, refuse to climb

Wow just ridiculous giga..

Thanks! I'm really enjoying vivariums/frogs more and more as there no maintenance compared to reef. Just have to keep the bug cultures going,which is ez, and feeding, again ez.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:bowdown:

LOVE IT!

Ill definitely be setting one up when I move into a house in the next year or two..

do it, it just as cool as reef if not more so

I didn't read through all 11 pages, but what frogs are you going to go with?

ranitomeya vent iquitos for one and either luecs or auratus as a larger species

I'm also really mastering bug cultures as I have 8 cultures of porcellio scaber of about 100-150 in each culture and the variety this guys is pretty cool. They start out stark white as babies then get steel blue,orange,black,grey or a mix like this guy

sorry blurry cell phone shot-couldn't get him to hold still

http://s139.photobucket.com/user/Veritas21885/media/20140617_204602_zps138456dc.png.html'>20140617_204602_zps138456dc.png

I also have now 4 cultures each of temperate and tropical springs that are going crazy

Seed the tank with those bad boys as you culture them. You'd be surprised at how big a culture the tank will support all on its own. Oh and springtails too, for the inevitable froglets you'll eventually get from the vents :)

Good choices by the way! I chickened out from putting a larger species in my tank because I'm worried about competition for food. I'm not the best at remembering to feed them, heh.

I'm really loving this.. looks like you have a window into the jungle or something.. lookin good Giga..

Thanks! It'll look much better once it fully planted

Seed the tank with those bad boys as you culture them. You'd be surprised at how big a culture the tank will support all on its own. Oh and springtails too, for the inevitable froglets you'll eventually get from the vents :)

Good choices by the way! I chickened out from putting a larger species in my tank because I'm worried about competition for food. I'm not the best at remembering to feed them, heh.

Yeah I already dumped a culture in there I'll be putting another in shortly. I work on the tank everyday after I put my daughter to bed so its not to bad for me as it's my time to relax and just enjoy the tank. I may or may not go with the larger it all depends. But I'm building another tank so I may just put larger in that

I still think about it too, it would be so cool to have multiple types in there, but I ended up deciding to make the safest choice for my BH's, they're plenty fun on their own. I think I'm to 7 now, it's so much fun to see little froglets sprout out of nowhere :)

I still think about it too, it would be so cool to have multiple types in there, but I ended up deciding to make the safest choice for my BH's, they're plenty fun on their own. I think I'm to 7 now, it's so much fun to see little froglets sprout out of nowhere :)

I was thinking the same thing but the only thing that has me thinking of adding mixed is becuase my LFS has a lot of darts but has a few mixed tank-a few ten gallons with thumbs and luecs and such and there doing fine for the last 6 os so months

They lay eggs in water right?

Just wondering cuz where would they do that in a viv

they lay eggs on a leaf or such then once the hatch they transport them to a brom of a small water pool

Cameron6796

they lay eggs on a leaf or such then once the hatch they transport them to a brom of a small water pool

Oh right lol I knew that from a documentary

Cameron6796

^ think he is going more for terrestrial plants that cling to the ground and branches ... Or maybe the one you mean does lol

planted a begonia 'rex' in the back right to give a good place for the frog to hide if need be

http://s139.photobucket.com/user/Veritas21885/media/DSC02178_zpsaf659323.jpg.html'>DSC02178_zpsaf659323.jpg

and then this

http://s139.photobucket.com/user/Veritas21885/media/DSC02174_zps6c2db9a2.jpg.html'>DSC02174_zps6c2db9a2.jpg

http://s139.photobucket.com/user/Veritas21885/media/DSC02176_zps7b3d9c0d.jpg.html'>DSC02176_zps7b3d9c0d.jpg

A lfs of mine that sells darts was having a massive sale. So i traded a couple cultures and only ended up pay 30$ for 2 chocolate leucomelas

Amazing looking viv! Now this has me interested in this as well... Do you have any recommendations for websites etc? I tried reddit but all they got was terrariums. Love to learn more about this. Especially after seeing yours.

well thanks now im starting to look into vivs...lol. Also I sent you a few pms but haven't heard anything back???

I'll read them tonight I have a ton of them

I really like that new plant, the frogs are pretty cool also, reminds me a lot of a native we have here in Oz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corroboree_frog'>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corroboree_frog

You have all kinds of crazy thing over there

Amazing looking viv! Now this has me interested in this as well... Do you have any recommendations for websites etc? I tried reddit but all they got was terrariums. Love to learn more about this. Especially after seeing yours.

Dendroboard.com is the best place

• 2 weeks later...

little update

most the fireballs are getting nice and red
DSC02215_zps69dc5bf9.jpg

and putting out a gaggle out roots
DSC02216_zps1b82365c.jpg

new brom #1 was supposed to be chiquita linda but bromiliadsnsuch isn't the best-won't be ordering from them again-nice but not what I ordered
DSC02204_zps0a65fee1.jpg

Java plum brom #2
DSC02206_zps42994f88.jpg

Neoregelia 'Dungsiana' I think even though it was labeled wrong by them, can also see Masdevallia erinacea that is in bloom. Sorry my camera blows
DSC02214_zpsf56039b2.jpg

Sinningia muscicola
DSC02211_zps8bb4792e.jpg

moved the dockrillia rigida to the front top of the tank under the mini cattleya orchid
DSC02219_zpsbe81e5d7.jpg

I'm most excited about this, Lepanthes calodyction, let hope I can keep it alive
DSC02213_zps65d0b9a4.jpg

the flowers are sooooo small on this guy about 2 mm
DSC02218_zps53506f51.jpg

also planted two Biophytum sensitivum in the bottom part of the drop off
DSC02226_zpsc0bd05f5.jpg

Also have a Pleurothallis microphylla that forgot a pic of, and I heard calling from one of the luecs so who know migth have eggs soon!

I see you! this is the male hanging at the edge of the drop off as he does
DSC02227_zps6214f460.jpg

This guy im unsure if he's male/female as I havnt heard or seen him/her call. But I always find this one in the bottom part of the drop off then shoots back up top.
DSC02229_zps30d85226.jpg

starting to look good me tinks! (Sorry for the glare and my awesome camera skillz)
DSC02233_zps9cfb56e6.jpg
DSC02232_zps26abc2f1.jpg

Mr. Microscope

Really amazing and beautiful!

What are those plants in the second pic? Some sort of fern?

Can you take some pics of the vive when the foggers come on? Might make for some nice macros.

Archived