Coral Vue Hydros

tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

tibbsy07

So I'll summarize what I was writing.

This tank is 6 months old and you're seeing grumpy corals with no growth, flow problems with detritus. Right?

At some point, it will likely cause problems. I think removing this variable would be beneficial long-term.

This can't be true, look at the sheer # of long term tanks around that have sand. There are valid arguments on both sides with regards to sand or bare bottom. My 3G pico is bare bottom and the detritus in that tank makes me mad. I do not feed that tank, and I have uber small snails. It is ridiculous! IMO unless you have a DSB or old tank syndrome, or a tank that gets fed like mine does but without vacuuming the sand, it will be a nutrient wormhole.

Nano-sapien has a TOTM with sand, no skimmer, no chemical or mechanical filtration. He uses live sand and live rock as his filtration. How is that a thriving tank? He gravel vacs a little of the sand bed with every water change. The rest of his husbandry is simple too.

Water changes are necessary. However 20-50% in a little tank is quite excessive IMO. Would you consider cutting back to 10% which is normal for everybody in general. An exception is if you are having a life threatening emergency.

We discussed an AIO a while back. You had mentioned that you won't be able to get your overly large godzilla hands in the back chambers to clean them. :slap: no pun intended. So what changed?

Micro reefs has the cutest little sump ever, check it out.

Tunze Osmolator: how are you going to hid the float switch?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I'll summarize what I was writing.

This tank is 6 months old and you're seeing grumpy corals with no growth, flow problems with detritus. Right?

This can't be true, look at the sheer # of long term tanks around that have sand. There are valid arguments on both sides with regards to sand or bare bottom. My 3G pico is bare bottom and the detritus in that tank makes me mad. I do not feed that tank, and I have uber small snails. It is ridiculous! IMO unless you have a DSB or old tank syndrome, or a tank that gets fed like mine does but without vacuuming the sand, it will be a nutrient wormhole.

Nano-sapien has a TOTM with sand, no skimmer, no chemical or mechanical filtration. He uses live sand and live rock as his filtration. How is that a thriving tank? He gravel vacs a little of the sand bed with every water change. The rest of his husbandry is simple too.

Water changes are necessary. However 20-50% in a little tank is quite excessive IMO. Would you consider cutting back to 10% which is normal for everybody in general. An exception is if you are having a life threatening emergency.

We discussed an AIO a while back. You had mentioned that you won't be able to get your overly large godzilla hands in the back chambers to clean them. :slap: no pun intended. So what changed?

Micro reefs has the cutest little sump ever, check it out.

Tunze Osmolator: how are you going to hid the float switch?

Correct about the problem.

As far as DSB, no sand, etc. E and I will do a bit of experimenting with our tanks over the next little while and see. In terms of a nutrient sink, I don't think sand is BAD. Quite the opposite - normally. My concern is that in a tank like this, the sand is probably not doing a lot (in terms of benefit), but if all hell breaks loose in the sand bed, then the water column will be affected negatively, and it will happen quick. It's part of the challenge of a pico and one of the reasons I like having one :D

I have no idea how NanoSapiens does it. It's magic. Really. How that tank is THAT pristine with nothing more than basic filtration and water changes... Sheesh. It's one of my inspiration tanks. That being said, not all tanks are the same. Each one is dynamic and has its own life and requirements. What works for Nano may not work for me.

I stick with 20% changes because it's a gallon and easy to do. If I do any less, honestly, it doesn't do much. The AC70 adds a decent amount of water volume. If I empty that out, it's like 1/4" gallon. If I only do 1/2 gallon total, then I don't end up removing much of the display water.

For the AIO - my wife happened. lol. She doesn't like all the stuff - she even wants me to paint the back black so she doesn't have to look at the AC70. :D I do prefer the pico/sump idea, for sure, but I have to compromise a bit, especially if I don't want the tank to stay in the office where I don't see it as much as I'd like.

For the ATO switch - I'm not going to hide it. I'm going to put it alongside the AC70.

As for the Sump from micro-reefs...

Just heard that Micro Reefs went out of business. Clearly I live under a rock. :mellow:

Maybe they have the sump on clearance? omgomgomg

Maybe. I doubt it. I believe Tamberav ordered something from Mike over a month ago and still has yet to hear of it being shipped. It'll probably be cheaper for me to just get a 10g, some cheap glass baffles and silicon. Obviously it won't look as nice, but...

When it comes down to it, I'm trying to do what's best for my tank. I am looking at/reading about all the tanks that inspire me (Kat, Andrewkw, Ben, Tiki, Gena, Evanski, Nano, ninjamyst, Jbb, JGPico, El_Fab, Erisen), find out all the positives and negatives from their experiences, and utilize the positive aspects in a way that nets me the least about of negatives.

Is someone with an almost perfect tank who changes things constantly being grumpy towards you?

:D

I kind of agree with what she said. There are multiple ways to skin a cat.

I'm here all week, try the veal.

Is someone with an almost perfect tank who changes things constantly being grumpy towards you?

There are definitely plenty of ways to skin a cat - I'm trying to find the one that works best for my particular cat :)

You Sir, are in no way helpful. :slap:

OK, totally kidding, that was really funny! :haha:

I understand what Kat is saying and do not disagree...but there ARE issues associated with sand that can't be dismissed.

NanoSapiens is obviously a reefing God, and has found a balance (including sand maintenance, as she states) that works for him.

Both Tibbsy and I are worried about reservoirs of gunk (NOT just 'trates)...the kinds of things that might account for disturbed sand bed and "old tank syndrome" crashed. Plus, we want to be able to feed heavy and have our babies grow!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep commenting and discussing...this is how we big boys do science!

For the record, I feed twice a week, change floss and do a weekly 25% water change. My tank is EXPLODING with growth, with only a few losses attributed to scorching with my LEDs.

Okay I'll go all science-y on ya. :lol:

So y'all are having nitrate problems? How did I miss that? :mellow:

Measure parameters daily. As in daily.

Calcium

Alk

Mag

Nitrates

Phosphates

Use aquaticlog - the graphs will be cool.

Make notes of things like feeding, floss change, water change. This will help in establishing a pattern, if there is a pattern to be established, in parameter changes.

Live long and prosper.

star-trek-vulcan-live-long-and-prosper-t

Okay I'll go all science-y on ya. :lol:

So y'all are having nitrate problems? How did I miss that? :mellow:

Measure parameters daily. As in daily.

Calcium

Alk

Mag

Nitrates

Phosphates

Use aquaticlog - the graphs will be cool.

Make notes of things like feeding, floss change, water change. This will help in establishing a pattern, if there is a pattern to be established, in parameter changes.

Live long and prosper.

star-trek-vulcan-live-long-and-prosper-t

I'm not having any nitrate problems. I currently have some recovering xenia and some grumpy zoas. Today i came home to find my radioactives looking like they are melting. Going to dip them to remove the amphipods that have taken up residence.also going to remove the aiptasia that i saw this morning.

Awww yiss... nanobox

I actually thought of doing a kickstarter for an aquarium experiment but it wouldn't work and I don't have the time.

Best make those "Dave was here" stickers. Going to need them this summer. :closedeyes:

Yup

Yep, I was planning on being there for a little bit at least. I have plans Saturday night but I'd like to get some new frags. I'm just bringing cash. Nothing crazy, but 1 or 2 would be nice. Hopefully I can find a good deal.

I pretty sure my bf and I will be going if we don't have to work. I don't know if I am bringing anything but money my friend will probably be bringing up a tank to get rid of. I don't know how late we are staying usually just a couple of hours.

:slap:

I pretty sure my bf and I will be going if we don't have to work. I don't know if I am bringing anything but money my friend will probably be bringing up a tank to get rid of. I don't know how late we are staying usually just a couple of hours.

Gotcha. Hope to see you there!

Took some pictures last night and this morning. Again, sorry for crap phone camera pictures.

The Xenia are recovering, thankfully. Not back 100% but getting there:

20140603_185954.jpg

This little hitch hiker clam showed up about a week ago or so. I think Barry ate him, as the shell is empty, but I don't really know. Either way, it's dead.

20140603_220610.jpg

See how my sand is kind of green? Ew. I'm hoping the CUC from ReefCleaners helps with that.

Barry 2.0, doing his thang:

20140603_220646.jpg

Last night and this morning the amphipods were terrible. I know they are supposed to be good for tanks, and I think they are, but man, my zoas HATE them.

I dipped the radioactive dragon eyes last night in a tank water/melafix solution to pull off the amphipods. I also removed the green bay packer-like zoas from their rock position. I've moved them over to the right of the GSP, hoping that a little less light and some TLC will bring them back

20140603_220626.jpg

I had just moved them here, not where they are currently.

Here are some of the pods, including 1 of the large ones. It is about 1/2" long when fully extended. Crazy! This was the one living in the radioactive dragon eye zoas... No wonder they were unhappy!

20140603_220707.jpg

Here is the lamp I bought from Staples. It was on sale for $8 instead of 20. So far no good. The clamp isn't great, the lamp just sort of sits in the clamp base, and the screws to tighten the actual lamp arm/head aren't very substantial. I don't know that this will hold the weight of the Par30. I may loctite the screws in place once I know what height I want.

And here is a morning FTS. We have some nice sunlight coming in through this window, and I really like the way it looks in the morning. By noon the sun through the window is gone, but it's nice to see before my lights turn on :)

20140604_082939.jpg

You can also see a bunch of white feather dusters on the rocks. Seriously, these things are EVERYWHERE right now.

I also noticed what looks like a tiny tiny tiny purple cauliflower on the hammer coral stalk, about halfway down. Is that a spawned head, maybe? It's hard to get a picture of with my phone.

Roshan8768

I like the pic with the sunlight. My hammer has always split down the middle of an existing head, but I have heard that they can "bud" new heads from the base. Get a damsel to solve your amphipod issue!!

I like the pic with the sunlight. My hammer has always split down the middle of an existing head, but I have heard that they can "bud" new heads from the base. Get a damsel to solve your amphipod issue!!

I was thinking of getting a small damsel for the tank, but I have to wait until July 1st - that's the end of my 12 week fallow period from the YCG that kicked it.

I'm thinking an similar damselfish? http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+28+3208&pcatid=3208

That or just a yellow tail damsel. Maybe a blue and gold? http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+28+110&pcatid=110

The problem is that these all get to like 3-4" and say a minimum of 30 gallons... I may have to stick with a goby of some kind.

My order from Reef Cleaners shipped. I a little concerned that the USPS will deliver it while I'm at work and the snails will cook. I think I am going to go home around lunch and see if they have been delivered by then. The issue is that they won't leave it outside, but will leave it IN our community mailbox thing which is metal and sits kind of in the sun. I don't want the snails to overheat. I'll have to figure it out.

I recommended the Talbot's damsel because they stay small (less than 2.5").

Yeah, I was looking at them. I'll likely go with one of those or the blue ones. I really love the blue coloration and I think a yellow tail would look nice in the tank. We'll see.

Do you recommend Live Aquaria for ordering? I've never ordered livestock online, but I don't trust the LFS.

jedimasterben

Liveaquaria is good, Blue Zoo is good, as are a few others. They have minimum orders and shipping is expensive for a $5 fish, though.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

Archived