Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

tibbsy07

I have special grade caribsea aragonite too, and I am able to vacuum the sandbed without removing too much sand. The gravel stirs the sand and sucks up all the detritus / dirty water while leaving the sand behind. Keep in mind that CUC produce waste too.

Yeah, I know. I will still have to vacuum the sandbed. The problem is that my vac pulls up a TON of sand. I'm not really sure what to do about it other than upgrade to 2.5g water changes weekly and then stir up the bed manually and suck it out of the water column.

I'll take pictures. I need to do a water change anyways.

This is one of the reasons I may go bare bottom. If the CUC produces waste, but I can get to it and remove it, no problem. If all I do is sink nutrients into the sand bed and then the gravel vac pulls out the sand anyways, what is the point in having the sand?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

I have feather duster worm-things popping up EVERYWHERE right now, and the 2 that I had been following since March have grown ~1" longer. I think the tank is doing pretty well (minus angry xenia and zoas).

Good - feather dusters are a good sign. They also can be a sign that you're feeding way too much since they're all filter feeders lol

which vac are you using? maybe it's too short?

The one I have is adjustable. I have it extended to ~18-20" long. It's a pain.

Good - feather dusters are a good sign. They also can be a sign that you're feeding way too much since they're all filter feeders lol

Yeah, they sort of exploded after I fed the tank super heavy for a day or two. I had to scrape a bunch off the glass and intake tube of the AC70. The rest on the rocks I've left alone.

Roshan8768

I think that you can probably manage your sand bed better. Have you tried pulling everything out of your AC70 and stuffing it full of filter floss? Just stir up your sand bed with a long stick of some sort... oh and stop feeding until you're happy with how little detritus is left. You don't have any fish right? 5-10 days without food won't kill your tank. After you remove all the crap, make sure you do a fairly large water change because the water will probably be loaded with all kinds of nasties. I do this process 3-4 x a year on my 40 breeder and it works pretty well.

I think that you can probably manage your sand bed better. Have you tried pulling everything out of your AC70 and stuffing it full of filter floss? Just stir up your sand bed with a long stick of some sort... oh and stop feeding until you're happy with how little detritus is left. You don't have any fish right? 5-10 days without food won't kill your tank. After you remove all the crap, make sure you do a fairly large water change because the water will probably be loaded with all kinds of nasties. I do this process 3-4 x a year on my 40 breeder and it works pretty well.

I might give this a try this weekend before I do my water change. I haven't fed in a while. Usually only 1-2 times a week. But it's been almost a week since I fed last.

Roshan8768

Also if your vac is pulling too fast, just cut the top off of a water bottle and and punch a hole in the bottom and stick a piece of tubing through. Should give you a reasonably powerful slow suction

Give this vac a try , I love it , and it never steals my sand.

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Gravel-Cleaner-15-inch-Intake/dp/B002LL8BWU

it may be pulling to fast , what is the diameter of the siphon tube ?

(I could be wrong , but anything is possible.)

I will give it a try. This is the one I've been using: http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Siphon-Vacuum-Aquarium-Cleaner/dp/B004RK40VY/ref=pd_sbs_petsupplies_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1YQHMPDJBG1Z2TG574MA But mine extends to 18" or so and I've been using it all the way out.

Roshan8768

IME if you do what I was talking about and systematically clean a section of the sand bed each week before your water change it should be clean in a month or so. Just remember to remove the filter floss and rinse it out real well a couple hours after the water change is over

IME if you do what I was talking about and systematically clean a section of the sand bed each week before your water change it should be clean in a month or so. Just remember to remove the filter floss and rinse it out real well a couple hours after the water change is over

I may do this. I like your water bottle idea. That may solve my sandbend issue. I'm sure I have one around somewhere. I'll probably try this before I buy anything else.

Roshan8768

I may do this. I like your water bottle idea. That may solve my sandbend issue. I'm sure I have one around somewhere. I'll probably try this before I buy anything else.

Cool... just heat up a nail and use it to punch a hole to get it started. You should be able to widen it out with a knife or scissors afterwards. Or you can be fancy and use a drill :lol: Just make sure you keep it a little bit smaller than the diameter of your tubing so that you get a pretty good seal. Oh... and make sure the section of the water bottle you're using has the same diameter throughout, maybe slightly wider at the bottom than at the top , but the other way around won't work

Looking forward to seeing this with a BB

We'll see! I'm going to keep with the sand a bit longer and see how it fares, but I will likely take it out. It's all anecdotal evidence, but it does seem that most people with picos have sand bottoms and end up with problems. Andrewkw removed his sand and he's over 3 years in on his pico. Close to 4, I think. Crazy!

Cool... just heat up a nail and use it to punch a hole to get it started. You should be able to widen it out with a knife or scissors afterwards. Or you can be fancy and use a drill :lol: Just make sure you keep it a little bit smaller than the diameter of your tubing so that you get a pretty good seal. Oh... and make sure the section of the water bottle you're using has the same diameter throughout, maybe slightly wider at the bottom than at the top , but the other way around won't work

I have a decent drill that I'll probably do this with. I was thinking of just taking the whole bottom off, though.

Only thing I don't like about Kent is the price. Picked some up today and it was $24.99. I prefer the $19.99 price for the IO :)

Buy from Drs F&S, its cheaper than IO I think. $45; for 4 50gallon bags, you have to add one $5 item to get free shipping. $12 a bag is that less than IO? I think so.

I was thinking of switching because I wanted higher dKH out of bag. For the price difference I can add Alkalinity.

You need to get a bucket that seals, I bought first Kents in a sealing bucket. Then just put your bags in there to stay dry.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4871

It's super hot on Ca, like 560, but that gets soaked up if you have a full tank.

Roshan8768

We'll see! I'm going to keep with the sand a bit longer and see how it fares, but I will likely take it out. It's all anecdotal evidence, but it does seem that most people with picos have sand bottoms and end up with problems. Andrewkw removed his sand and he's over 3 years in on his pico. Close to 4, I think. Crazy!

I have a decent drill that I'll probably do this with. I was thinking of just taking the whole bottom off, though.

That'll work provided the bottle doesn't have any weird tapering other than at the neck... hopefully it works out for you

I ran BB and I thought I didn't have enough nutrients which is why I am adding sand this time around. Also definitely like the look of sand more

OK here is my Need list - I'm putting it here so I won't lose the papers I keep writing them on :P

ATO - Tunze Osmolator 3152

ATO Reservoir - 5g jug

Light for the chaeto - maybe this? http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Underwater-10W-Single-Light-WTL10.htm

A cheap fan in case things get too hot

I think that's pretty much what I NEED. What I want, on the other hand...

A cube tank (Either an AIO or a 3-4g tank+sump)

Nanobox tide w/ controller

Pom pom crab

A goby

More coral - probably rics, zoas, a frogspawn or two.

So while I'm thinking about this all, I'm going to write out my thoughts on tank upgrades. Feel free to criticize.

If I go an AIO - I will likely go with the PicO Aquariums 5g. Based on his other work, and what he was said about the design, the 5g will be very similar to the 20g Deluxe version with the media basket. It would provide a really great filtration system in the back. I could also hang the AC70 off the back and make it a fuge on its own. That would add a good bit of water to the system. The stock pump from the PicO tanks is apparently pretty good, too. I would just have to figure out a mat for under the tank and a stand.

I could also go with the IM 4g - I do like those tanks, I'm just afraid of them breaking.

If I wanted a more peninsula look, I could go with the Fluval Spec V, but I think I want a more cube-style.

If I go the cube + sump route - I'll likely go with a drilled cube about 3-5g. I'll use a 10g tank and turn it into a small sump. I'd have enough room for a small fuge and a small skimmer. To me, this sounds like the best, but also the most expensive/space consuming option. It also would probably be louder and more likely to annoy the Wife-god.

You plan on being at the swap on Saturday? I know there is suppose to be someone bringing some mushrooms don't know for sure what kind. I am pretty sure Michelle will be there she has zoas usually some pretty nice stuff.

You plan on being at the swap on Saturday? I know there is suppose to be someone bringing some mushrooms don't know for sure what kind. I am pretty sure Michelle will be there she has zoas usually some pretty nice stuff.

Yep, I was planning on being there for a little bit at least. I have plans Saturday night but I'd like to get some new frags. I'm just bringing cash. Nothing crazy, but 1 or 2 would be nice. Hopefully I can find a good deal.

wrote up a long post and it vanished. Argh

Look at this as an opportunity to revise and edit for more impact...

This tank is a constant learning experience. Evanski and I are going to write up a separate thread on sand stuff, we think. He is going to do a big sand clean and see what happens. I am going to leave mine alone, barring the CUC and the gravel vac, and update the thread as well.

Neither of us agree that an n of 1 is enough (fab's or andrew's) to swing our picos' direction. Fab has a great run, and so has andrewkw, with different techniques. I think there is validity to both types. This should be fun!

:slap:

I had a :slap: after every third word. I'll simmer down now. :P

Hey now ;) I come here to type out ideas and thoughts and stuff BEFORE I do anything drastic. We're not bare bottomed yet. Probably won't be for a while. Taking it nice and easy and slow.

This tank is a constant learning experience. Evanski and I are going to write up a separate thread on sand stuff, we think. He is going to do a big sand clean and see what happens. I am going to leave mine alone, barring the CUC and the gravel vac, and update the thread as well.

Neither of us agree that an n of 1 is enough (fab's or andrew's) to swing our picos' direction. Fab has a great run, and so has andrewkw, with different techniques. I think there is validity to both types. This should be fun!

Yeah, we are going to be all science-y and shiit....

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

Archived