Pod Your Reef

Made in Africa - A Shallow Reef

4x5

Slick start! I really like the 'scape you've got mocked up.

Something to bear in mind is that euphyllia will mask the really interesting nuance in the rockwork as it grows in. You might look into encrusting monti's for the bases of the rock, or monti caps for the base which whorl into really interesting patterns with high flow. Euphy's don't play nice with SPS in my experience so be careful of the sweepers.

Thanks and thanks for the tips. Perhaps I'll drop the front right rock and have that as the euphyllia zone to keep the balance and have them relatively isolated. There's roughly a 300x300mm (12x12 inch) open area front right if I do that.

• Like 2

Cabinet is done. Plumbing is done. Waiting for the sump to cure and then I can get some substrate in and fill it up. A few snaps of where I'm at now. Did some rock work today. Excuse the wiring, it's not 100% done. :happy:

tank_003.jpg

tank_004.jpg

tank_006.jpg

tank_005.jpg

• Like 9

Neatening up the sump today. Herbie overflow, nothing fancy, two chambers - one for skimmer and return and the other a built in ATO reservoir (in the front) ; looking forward to firing up the Diablo 160xs. :scarry:

tank_007.jpg

• Like 11

how are you going to access the skimmer to clean it? aren't worried about moisture / salt build up /evaporation affecting the power bar being so close to the sump?

beautifully crafted and i'm deff following this one

Great photos of this amazing tank! :)

Many thanks.

how are you going to access the skimmer to clean it? aren't worried about moisture / salt build up /evaporation affecting the power bar being so close to the sump?

beautifully crafted and i'm deff following this one

The skimmer is pretty easily accessed from the front, I can squeeze in there if I need to ;) And once the cup is off it's very easy to pop the whole skimmer out the sump if need be without moving anything around. As for moisture, I'm thinking of installing a couple of PC fans to extract the air from the sump area. But not too stressed about the power bar as not directly above the sump. Will keep an eye on it.

And thanks. :)

God that is awesome.. I wish I knew what I was doing with a saw so I can build a stand like that, and do the plumbing..... What kind of tank is that? I need to do one of these builds.

God that is awesome.. I wish I knew what I was doing with a saw so I can build a stand like that, and do the plumbing..... What kind of tank is that? I need to do one of these builds.

Thanks.

You know it's not as hard as it looks. Just a little bit of planning and good measuring and you're 75% of the way there. You don't even need a saw. Just go to a timber store with a list of what you need and get the pieces cut by them and then screw them all together. Then sand and paint and sand and paint and... you get the drift :happy:

The tank is a custom build by my LFS in 6mm glass, the plumbing holes were water jetted out by the glass people which was super neat. All in all it turned out better than I expected which is always a good thing. Haha.

• Like 2

Thanks.

You know it's not as hard as it looks. Just a little bit of planning and good measuring and you're 75% of the way there. You don't even need a saw. Just go to a timber store with a list of what you need and get the pieces cut by them and then screw them all together. Then sand and paint and sand and paint and... you get the drift :happy:

The tank is a custom build by my LFS in 6mm glass, the plumbing holes were water jetted out by the glass people which was super neat. All in all it turned out better than I expected which is always a good thing. Haha.

Im thinking of enlisting the asstance of a friend that can build. I thought it looked "do able" but looking at pics and actually doing the work are two different things lol. You have made me more confident tho so thank you! Ah yea I need to reasearch where I can get a tank in Chicago and get the holes drilled etc... so it looks like you have basiclly a single tube with a ball valve for the overflow into the fuge and a single tube with a ball valve for the return is that really all I would need as far as plumbing? you have made it look pretty simple, just wanted to verify.

Thanks in advance and it looks so perfectly amazing that would be my dream tank!

Im thinking of enlisting the asstance of a friend that can build. I thought it looked "do able" but looking at pics and actually doing the work are two different things lol. You have made me more confident tho so thank you! Ah yea I need to reasearch where I can get a tank in Chicago and get the holes drilled etc... so it looks like you have basiclly a single tube with a ball valve for the overflow into the fuge and a single tube with a ball valve for the return is that really all I would need as far as plumbing? you have made it look pretty simple, just wanted to verify.

Thanks in advance and it looks so perfectly amazing that would be my dream tank!

Plumbing wise there are 3 pipes.

1. Main overflow: PVC pipe straight down with PVC Gate valve. (well, mines a angle seat valve because I couldn't find a stupid gate valve in Cape Town.)

2. Emergency overflow: PVC pipe straight down with ball valve. (cheaper and doesn't need any precision, just open or closed.)

3. Return: Again, PVC piping straight up with some flex pipe to connect to pump.

My aim with my rock work was to hide the overflows as best I could, I also put them 1 behind the other as apposed to next to each other to hide them better. (They're hidden in the back rocks, you can see the top of the main overflow popping out)

Some more info on the overflow here: http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/

Plumbing wise there are 3 pipes.

1. Main overflow: PVC pipe straight down with PVC Gate valve. (well, mines a angle seat valve because I couldn't find a stupid gate valve in Cape Town.)

2. Emergency overflow: PVC pipe straight down with ball valve. (cheaper and doesn't need any precision, just open or closed.)

3. Return: Again, PVC piping straight up with some flex pipe to connect to pump.

My aim with my rock work was to hide the overflows as best I could, I also put them 1 behind the other as apposed to next to each other to hide them better. (They're hidden in the back rocks, you can see the top of the main overflow popping out)

Some more info on the overflow here: http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/

Awesome! Thanks again for all of your info!

Have yo tried Old Town Aquarium on Wells in Chicago?

Not close but they might be able to make what you want.

Could be a little pricy, however.

Have yo tried Old Town Aquarium on Wells in Chicago?

Not close but they might be able to make what you want.

Could be a little pricy, however.

I have not tried, thanks for that info Ill give them a call today and see what they can do :)

I have not tried, thanks for that info Ill give them a call today and see what they can do :)

Glad to help. Now I'll stop hijacking this awesome thread. Sorry. :)

• Like 1