Coral Vue Hydros

Shadow's 16G Disaster. Fumigation Poisoned the Tank and Crashed It.

Snow_Phoenix

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Snow_Phoenix

Tank looks great! Sorry to hear about your troubles though.

Thank you, 1.0. And no worries, it's a brand new year = fresh start = hopefully the beginning of something better. How's your tank been coming along?

I've grown quite attached to this nano for some reason. My uncle wanted to give me his tank - 4' long (90G or 120G? Not sure of the width and height but must check) but I lack the space and funding right now to do it. I sincerely wish I could chuck out a cupboard or two from my Art room. The 4' will make an awesome African cichlid setup, and I will be able to keep a larger variety of catfish, and bichirs as well. I guess I'll have to think about it. :)

Snow_Phoenix

Btw, here's my 30G African Cichlid setup after being re-set:

So far I'm planning on doing a full Malawi tank. Added a few juvi Yellow Labs and Auratus cichlids, along with a baby peacock eel and baby fire eel. Also added a giant blue crayfish, my albino bichir, my marble goby and my faithful gourami (the only oddball). My Ornate bichir survived the crash, but his recovery is really slow. I suspect he might have sustained major ammonia burns to his gills, but I'm keeping him isolated in a QT tank and treating him with meds. He hasn't eaten for the past week however, which is worrisome. :(

Next is my planted 20G (2' long tank) with a mixture of angels, rams, paradise gouramis, assorted tetras, Hoplos cats, Para plecos and a huge variety of inverts (think ghost shrimp, speckled rabbit snails, orange rabbit snail, nerite snail, malayan trumpet snails, malayan thorned trumpet snails, red crayfish).

So there you go. :)

Oh, and before I sign off - here's a greeting from my net-surfing pup, Duchess! :)

eb9kzaQ.png

Snow_Phoenix

How many tanks do you have? I think I lost count due to the addition and removal of corals and fish and mishaps in 2014.

Hi Annette! I have 3 in total as of the moment (excluding 1 QT), and I think I'll be sticking with those 3 for quite some time. :)

yeah, I have enough going on too. Then the 55 freshwater that's been getting neglected. It has 2 Jack Demspeys, some african catfish, a silver dollar, firemouth and a blood parrot- which I used to enjoy until I got into saltwater, now I find them incredibly boring. I'll probably sell it off in the next year.

Snow_Phoenix

yeah, I have enough going on too. Then the 55 freshwater that's been getting neglected. It has 2 Jack Demspeys, some african catfish, a silver dollar, firemouth and a blood parrot- which I used to enjoy until I got into saltwater, now I find them incredibly boring. I'll probably sell it off in the next year.

Wow! 55G - this I must see! I love both fresh and salt. There was a time I was about to give up on fresh completely, but I could never bring it in me to give away my Betta in his 5G those days, so I've always ran at least two tanks - min. 1 fresh and 1 salt at once. :)

Snow_Phoenix

uh, nix that. the firemouth apparently died. I just don't remember when. So there are 5 fish. I need to clean.

20150103_114705_zpsxztx4cg3.jpg

I think it looks pretty decent. Love the mix gravel and the bogwood/driftwood piece! :D

Yeah, the catfish hangs upside down under the driftwood. I remember when my parrots were small they could swim into the few holes in the driftwood.

Snow_Phoenix

Yeah, the catfish hangs upside down under the driftwood. I remember when my parrots were small they could swim into the few holes in the driftwood.

Ah, I had those catfish. My pair of beauties died during the filter failure disaster. :(

Parrots are incredibly adorable, if you ask me. But the ones sold in my LFS are often colored via dyes, which is sad and terrible. It's the main reason why I never tried parrots until today.

Love the fw tanks!!

i would love love love a 55g or 75g FW planted Discus tank but I hear they are delicate and I don't know anything about FW :(

Thank you, 1.0. And no worries, it's a brand new year = fresh start = hopefully the beginning of something better. How's your tank been coming along?

I've grown quite attached to this nano for some reason. My uncle wanted to give me his tank - 4' long (90G or 120G? Not sure of the width and height but must check) but I lack the space and funding right now to do it. I sincerely wish I could chuck out a cupboard or two from my Art room. The 4' will make an awesome African cichlid setup, and I will be able to keep a larger variety of catfish, and bichirs as well. I guess I'll have to think about it. :)

My tank kinda had a mini crash.

Btw, here's my 30G African Cichlid setup after being re-set:

9EqtKud.png

vkxej8n.png

R3BgvlI.png

Pio12FJ.png

mLcZ99g.png

So far I'm planning on doing a full Malawi tank. Added a few juvi Yellow Labs and Auratus cichlids, along with a baby peacock eel and baby fire eel. Also added a giant blue crayfish, my albino bichir, my marble goby and my faithful gourami (the only oddball). My Ornate bichir survived the crash, but his recovery is really slow. I suspect he might have sustained major ammonia burns to his gills, but I'm keeping him isolated in a QT tank and treating him with meds. He hasn't eaten for the past week however, which is worrisome. :(

Next is my planted 20G (2' long tank) with a mixture of angels, rams, paradise gouramis, assorted tetras, Hoplos cats, Para plecos and a huge variety of inverts (think ghost shrimp, speckled rabbit snails, orange rabbit snail, nerite snail, malayan trumpet snails, malayan thorned trumpet snails, red crayfish).

DEYdWU7.png

jZZy5y0.png

ZoFNxdV.png

lDHxf3q.png

GaMdCnp.png

So there you go. :)

Oh, and before I sign off - here's a greeting from my net-surfing pup, Duchess! :)

eb9kzaQ.png

Looks nice!

Snow_Phoenix

Love the fw tanks!!

i would love love love a 55g or 75g FW planted Discus tank but I hear they are delicate and I don't know anything about FW :(

Discus are quite challenging - even I haven't tried them. They do better in colder temps though (think 18'C to 19'C), and they're super sensitive to any nitrate imbalance. Tetras, mollies, cory cats, loaches and platys make perfect starter fish. But if you want a challenge, you could try slightly harder types like cichlids or angels. ;)

My tank kinda had a mini crash.

Looks nice!

Thanks for the compliment. I'm sorry to hear about the crash - crashes suck. :( Hope you bounce back and get everything up and running again. :)

Discus are quite challenging - even I haven't tried them. They do better in colder temps though (think 18'C to 19'C), and they're super sensitive to any nitrate imbalance. Tetras, mollies, cory cats, loaches and platys make perfect starter fish. But if you want a challenge, you could try slightly harder types like cichlids or angels. ;)

Thanks for the compliment. I'm sorry to hear about the crash - crashes suck. :( Hope you bounce back and get everything up and running again. :)

I would try them right now if I could.... but I am maxed out on power! Literally can't plug in another aquarium or I will draw to much electricity and the breakers will flip.

I guess thats a good thing or I would just have aquariums on every wall :P

Snow_Phoenix

I would try them right now if I could.... but I am maxed out on power! Literally can't plug in another aquarium or I will draw to much electricity and the breakers will flip.

Haha, I get you! I have 8 live plugs coming out of one outlet. My dad flipped when he saw all the wires. :scarry:

I have an 8 plug strip of aquarium stuff plugged into another strip for the entertainment center then into the wall as the prongs have a funny cap that curves down so you can't put one right under the other. Still probably NOT good- piggy backing strips.

Sounds like someone needs to switch to all LEDs lol

Dr.Brain Coral

Your Freshwater tank is beautiful shadow :wub: I have had a hard time lately with figuring out is its worth doing a marine tank. there are so many good things but I dont know if it is a good idea with how expensive it is to maintain a reef tank and college is in a few years. How much enjoyment do you get from your freshwater tanks?

I have mostly LED's :unsure:

We have 2 gaming computers and in AC in the summer too though.... The house was remodeled but was very old so the wiring is probably still old in the walls. Has only 15 amp circuit breakers (except the kitchen/laundry).

I am actually having problems with one now that keeps flipping in middle of the night when it gets really cold??? :huh:

Snow_Phoenix

I have an 8 plug strip of aquarium stuff plugged into another strip for the entertainment center then into the wall as the prongs have a funny cap that curves down so you can't put one right under the other. Still probably NOT good- piggy backing strips.

I get you. Honestly that particular outlet is a fire hazard. Half the time I'm afraid the whole plug socket might explode with the amount of wires pooling out of it. :scarry:

Lol, I should also probably switch to LEDs as well. Of course, the parental units might revolt. :P

Your Freshwater tank is beautiful shadow :wub: I have had a hard time lately with figuring out is its worth doing a marine tank. there are so many good things but I dont know if it is a good idea with how expensive it is to maintain a reef tank and college is in a few years. How much enjoyment do you get from your freshwater tanks?

Thank you for the compliment, Dr. Brain. It will be a bit costly, depending on how much you reef (basically what sort of corals you're planning on keeping) and you do have to consider either shutting your tank down in a few years time when you're off to college or bring it along with you. I derive plenty of pleasure from my freshwater tanks, tbh. Especially from planted and community setups. Also, the livestock is more affordable and present in a myriad of varieties compared to marine livestock over here, so you can literally ogle at the tanks at the LFS for hours lol. ;)

I have mostly LED's :unsure:

We have 2 gaming computers and in AC in the summer too though.... The house was remodeled but was very old so the wiring is probably still old in the walls. Has only 15 amp circuit breakers (except the kitchen/laundry).

I am actually having problems with one now that keeps flipping in middle of the night when it gets really cold??? :huh:

Maybe change the breakers?

Archived