Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Shadow's 16G Disaster. Fumigation Poisoned the Tank and Crashed It.

Snow_Phoenix

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hoping all is well, and rock flowers ARE a sturdy bunch. By it staying closed up it's probably protecting itself some from whatever elements there are. But you always have bounce back moments.

Today morning was an even bigger nightmare - lost my blenny, lost several of my Taiwanese cichlids in the 30G, lost several loaches in my 12G - so I had to reset my 5G marine QT, 30G African cichlid tank, 12G planted Cichlid tank and basically am dead exhausted. I'm hoping all my remaining fish - both freshwater and saltwater - will pull through. It's chaos at home basically, and every aquarist's worst nightmare. To suddenly lose these many fish over 48 hours due to an airbone contaminant (aerosol spray) is very disheartening. I reared some of that cichlids from 0.5" to 5" over 4++ months. And my blenny was 3+ months old as well, and faring well. He died with his mouth agape, but at the bottom of the tank. I had to scrub down each tank, re-wash the sand, sterilize some of the equipment (filter) and run lots of carbon. Now it's just a waiting game. :(

All my inverts have been shifted into the 5G QT - they're more comfortable in there with the bigger space.

oh my gosh, that is a nightmare. Sorry to hear about your fish losses, it hurts more when you're reared them from pups because you've put so much care into them. I wonder if airline tubing going into tanks to provide oxygen would help? I don't know.

Life after the aftermath:

The stubborn rock flower nem. Slightly duller than before, but still surviving.

Keyhole limpet.

Mini duster worms.

A Nass snail that missed out emergency evacuation procedures, but is surprisingly doing well. Will observe him for now.

A consolation gift by the parental units who unfortunately did not understand the concept of cycling. Mercifully my Ammonia's hit zero and so has my nitrites (thank you, cured live rock), but my nitrates are peaking at almost 20ppm. Due for a WC very soon.

FTS of re-set tank today. I'll be adding my clean-up crew bit by bit (snails first, then crabs, followed by shrimp) over the next week. Then I'll observe how the tank handles the bioload for another few more days or even another week before bringing back my corals slowly (smaller, cheaper frags first). Give it time to stabilize.

Good sign w/ all the dusters being open and your parameters. Another journey.

I know - it's a fresh start. It doesn't mean I won't encounter any more hiccups along the way, but still, I'm now more vigilant over anything that might contaminate my tanks. Just ordered two custom glass lids to slip over my 12G planted and this 8G marine each time the cleaner comes around every biweekly. Also managed to get good fibre lids as well for the 30G as a precaution. Once she's done cleaning, only then I'll replace the glass tops/fibre tops with mesh lids. I'll be sure to gently remind her not to spray anything near the tanks though - it was a genuine accident, I believe, and an oversight on my part. But lesson learnt, and it's time to move forward. I just hope my corals are doing okay though at the LFS, especially my shrooms. :(

Mushrooms are pretty hardy so they'll probably be ok. You're a determined person, with a mission, that's a good trait to have.

I hope so - If it weren't raining outside right now, I'd probably drive down to the LFS to check up on them. Thank you for the confidence boost. I just hope the journey with this tank will be smoother from now on. I also need to plan my upgrade and set aside a budget for it as well - a lot of things to do, but I'm glad to keep my mind occupied on something.

I'm alive! Just to let you know I picked up a XL-size Cleaner Shrimp today and he's doing well. Everything else in the tank is also on track, and my Hawaiian shrimp molted. :)

Also, I spotted this at my LFS today - any idea what it is? Was sorely tempted to buy it, but for obvious reasons - the primary one being I myself having no clue what it was - I didn't.

b5P4i5r.png

Also, I'm definitely putting in a direct order for a green brittle star, tuxedo urchin, white spotted anemone shrimp and Pictus blenny sometime next week or the week after. Can't wait. :)

Sea Apple probably, filter feeder, don't get it.

Good advice. If they get pissed they can release toxins which can very well nuke a tank.

Just to let you guys know I've brought all my corals back from the store (finally!) and the tank is doing well. So right now I have:

Livestock:

1 Yellowtail Damsel

1 Cleaner Shrimp

1 Hawaiian Shrimp

1 Porcelain Crab

1 Feather Duster Worm

2 Hermit Crabs

5 - 10 mini Nassarius snails

Corals:

Hairy Mushroom colony

Brown Magician Paly colony

Green Implosion Paly frag

Whammin' Watermelons & Radioactive Dragon Eyes Zoa frag

Spartan's Pride Zoas

Fiery Grapes Zoas

Green Mushroom Colony

Mini Maxi Carpet Nem

Rockflower Nem

Finger Leather

Planned additions:

Livestock:

Pictus Blenny

Hi-Fin Goby + Pistol Shrimp pair

Green Brittle Star

Tuxedo Urchin

White Spotted Anemone Shrimp

Super Tongan Nassarius Snails

Blue Legged Hermit Crab

Blood Fire Shrimp (maybe)

Corals:

Green Pipe Organ

GSP

Filter Feeders:

Blue Sponge

Pink Sponge

Red/Yellow Sponge

Yes, it'll be a nutrient heavy tank. But I think it -should- be alright as long as my scheduled WCs are intact.

Just a quick FTS. I intend to put the green pipe organ in the middle of the display, and shuffle around the mushrooms (on the right side of the pic) to make way for the GSP colony. I know it's not stunning or TOTM material, but I love it. Can't believe I've come this far with this fella. :)

QgAgby9.jpg

The tank looks BEAUTIFUL!!!

That leather, that one piece is such a show piece, makes the tank come alive with its unusual shape.

Thank you both! I love the leather as well - easily one of the best coral purchases I've made in my span of reef-keeping. :)

Peek-a-boo! This is my giant crayfish (freshie lobster), Prince, in his coconut castle. He's just stopped by to tell you guys that Shadow's health has declined this past week, and she'll be out of touch for a while. But! She shall rise again after Christmas, and hopefully get these critters on order:

1 Tuxedo Urchin

1 Green Brittle Starfish

2 White Spotted Anemone Shrimp

Multiple sea sponges

2 coral colonies

1 Blood Fire Shrimp

1 Clam/Flaming Scallop

1 Blue Legged Hermit Crab

1 Pictus Blenny

1 YCG or 1 Goby/Shrimp pair

Take care, and stay safe! Have a blessed holiday ahead!

Hey man, sorry to hear about all the tank crashes a while back. I just caught up on this thread. The trouble with these tanks is that we have to not only worry about water quality but air quality in the home. I had something similar happen to me when moving out of my last rental house - I had to leave the tank behind one night because I couldn't move everything in one day. Unfortunately when I came back the next day to get the tank, my old landlord had all the doors and windows open and was blowing out the house with a gas powered leaf blower (yes, inside). Why he was doing that, I have no idea. But the temp in my tank was 85 and the pH was WAY out of whack from all the carbon dioxide the leaf blower was putting out. My two clowns survived but all the coral bleached over the next week.

Another time, I had an exterminator tell me he couldn't dust in the attic because it would harm my tank. I honestly hadn't even thought about it and was super happy that he was knowledgable enough about his trade that he knew to warn me.

Hope the reboot goes well!

Thank you.

And I'm improving, although I am now down with flu as well. Immune system is still holding up though.

Just saw a spider decorator crab covered in blue sponges and corals at my LFS. Kinda made me wish I had a bigger tank again so that I could keep him. He was at max. size - which is almost 4". :o

Oh nos, he isn't full grown.... Wait are you talking about shell size or leg span? Cuz I've seen them with 4" shell spans and about 10" leg spans. All I'm saying is they get pretty massive.

Anyways feel betterz. :flower:

Oh nos, he isn't full grown.... Wait are you talking about shell size or leg span? Cuz I've seen them with 4" shell spans and about 10" leg spans. All I'm saying is they get pretty massive.

Anyways feel betterz. :flower:

Really? This one was fairly large - the shell size was around 4ish" but he mostly had his legs tucked under his body so I couldn't see how big he truly was with his legs spread out.

And thank you, Pinner. :)

Archived