SaltCritters.com

Shadow's 16G Disaster. Fumigation Poisoned the Tank and Crashed It.

Snow_Phoenix

Take care of yourself :) that is what is most important!

We have to take risks in order to move forward in this hobby and learn/try new things and grow. You are one of those risk takers, trying new foods with your mandy's and reporting back what works... or what doesn't. Mixing multiple clowns together, fish eating starfish, and not so reef safe inverts and finding ways to make it work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone,

For those who poked around on the Official Mandarin Show-Off thread, you'd know by now that Isabella the Mandarin isn't faring so well and has developed blemishes on her skin. Also, 'she' is most likely a 'he', but only time will tell.

In the meantime, I just wanted to propose a huge update:

Next year, I'll be fit enough to score a part-time job (by the very least). This means I'll hopefully be able to adapt back into normal society and earn an income. Due to this, I've decided to upgrade my tank to a 3' x 2' x 2' with 12mm thickness and a fully furnished custom-made white cabinet. The tank alone will be roughly 90G in total. This will be a marine tank, and I'll be using IO salt and switch back to RSCP once I start adding some softies.

Also, the difference between this tank and all the previous tanks I've had is that I'll be having a total of 3 fuges - 1 in-tank 3G fuge box, followed by two fuges in the sump - hoping the sump will be at least a 55G or more - and I'll be using a BM Curve 5 skimmer.

The reason behind this is because I intend to make it a dragonet tank with plenty of macros, softies, a bit of zoas, shrooms and a mini clam garden and mini mini maxi carpet nem garden. Also, plenty of rock would be needed, but I'll start off with dry rock and use the usual CaribSea Aragonite Grade 3 sand. I don't plan on adding seahorses or pipefish since I think they're beyond my level of expertise.

The flow in the tank would be two WP-40s, and I'll be using a second-hand Resun CL-850 chiller (or better) to keep the temp levels stable at 26'C.

As for fish stocking, here's what I'm planning to put in:

2x Spotted Mandarin Dragonets

2x Green Mandarin Dragonets

2x Finger Dragonets* (depends on availability)

2x Ruby Red Dragonets

2x Scooter Dragonets

2x clownfish (either Percula or Occy)

1 Blenny (either Algae, Segmented Sailfin or Pictus Clown)

1 YCG

1 Dwarf flame angel* (if available from another reefer and determined reef-safe)

1 Leopard Wrasse

As for invert stocking:

3 White Spotted Anemone Shrimp

Porcelain Crab

5x Hermit Crabs (Electric blues)

15x Regular Hermit Crabs

Nassarius Snails (both Super Tongan and regular)

2x Tuxedo Urchins

2x Pincushion Urchins

1x Green Brittle Sea Starfish

1x Red tile sea starfish

2x Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

2x Blood Fire Shrimp

4x to 5x Feather Duster Worms/Coco Worms

I honestly am not sure if I can get away with a small school of anthias (3 to 5 fish) to make sure the middle level of my tank doesn't look too bare, but the bioload is pretty high as it is. Well, so there you go. Also, all three fuges will be packed with LR rubble and Chaeto. I'll probably make 10 to 15 pod hotels as well, since that organizes the rubble and are easier to clean.

This tank will probably only come into effect around mid-April or early May, I predict. I will need to hoard a lot of money for this setup, and lighting won't come cheap. I'm thinking of using a Maxspect Razor 160W for the middle of the tank, and 2 Par 38s at the sides. I'd go with Hydra in a heartbeat if I can wrangle it.

This will also mean I'll be selling of my cichlid setup - the 30G. I'll probably keep my crayfish around though, and still keep the 12G planted in the dining room. So, what do you think? Any advice is appreciated. Also, all dragonets will be weaned unto frozen and hopefully pellets. I'll take my time securing them, because I do have intentions of breeding them if possible. I'll see how it goes.

EDIT: Fingers crossed out since they apparently get up to 1' long.

Fingered dragonets get a foot long.

Cool idea though. May get some fighting, not sure. My blues and spotted bicker but they don't notice the scooters.

Fingered dragonets get a foot long.

Cool idea though. May get some fighting, not sure. My blues and spotted bicker but they don't notice the scooters.

A foot or six inches? :o If six, then I -guess- it should be fine, but if it's a foot, then definitely no. You'll need at least 300G and a huge, monstrous fuge to keep one of those guys happy. Yes, I remember an old video showcasing your blue and spotted bickering. I'm hoping with adequate space, rock cover and food they won't notice each other very much. :P

A foot or six inches? :o If six, then I -guess- it should be fine, but if it's a foot, then definitely no. You'll need at least 300G and a huge, monstrous fuge to keep one of those guys happy. Yes, I remember an old video showcasing your blue and spotted bickering. I'm hoping with adequate space, rock cover and food they won't notice each other very much. :P

A foot. :o I don't want to know how much food a foot long dragnet could eat.. ha ha! I would assume in captivity maybe 8 or 9 inches then????

I'm thinking about taking my dragon tank down :( They are like caring for babies... hard to go away on vacation or anything. I need like a 300g tank where they can just eat pods.

A foot. :o I don't want to know how much food a foot long dragnet could eat.. ha ha!

I'm thinking about taking my dragon tank down :( They are like caring for babies... hard to go away on vacation or anything. I need like a 300g tank where they can just eat pods.

Neither do I! :o

No, don't take it down! I love your tank - it's a great inspiration to me and many others on this site! :( I know it's hard, but I once left a week and came back to find Michael, my older dragonet, chubbier than before if possible. Mind you, I had a fuge stuffed with chaeto and LR, and even my skimmer compartment had tons of LR in it, so the tank was crawling with pods. Maybe upgrade your tank and keep them? B)

Neither do I! :o

No, don't take it down! I love your tank - it's a great inspiration to me and many others on this site! :( I know it's hard, but I once left a week and came back to find Michael, my older dragonet, chubbier than before if possible. Mind you, I had a fuge stuffed with chaeto and LR, and even my skimmer compartment had tons of LR in it, so the tank was crawling with pods. Maybe upgrade your tank and keep them? B)

Can't upgrade :( I am not supposed to have fish tanks in my apt but they don't know. :ninja:

I am on 2nd floor, that would be scary :>

Darn - any chance you know how to teleport or magic yourself inside with the tank? :P

But seriously, don't tear down your little dragon den. You'll miss it. :(

Cool, glad to hear your health will be fair enough for the drs allow you to work. That's wonderful. That tank sounds like quite an undertaking. Looking forward to seeing it later. Until then, and that time will go by fast, try not to impulse buy too much!

I love the idea of your new tank.

Thank you, Dr. Brain. :)

Cool, glad to hear your health will be fair enough for the drs allow you to work. That's wonderful. That tank sounds like quite an undertaking. Looking forward to seeing it later. Until then, and that time will go by fast, try not to impulse buy too much!

Yes, I'm eager to get back to normality. I was initially planning on pursuing my PhD via scholarship next year, but both my folks think that I need a bit more downtime until everything is properly under control. Docs are still tinkering with my medication dosages to help stave off all the pain, seizures etc. but once they find a balance, I -should- be free to find work. Can't wait to earn a nice income (finally!). And nope - no impulse buys. But I did purchase a True Percula today to pair up with my aquacultured Occy (Dawn passed away in the QT tank about a week ago - just before I reached home with some formalin borrowed from a friend that works at a chem lab :tears: ) and they're both doing the shimmy dance. The Percula is more dominant however, and already thinks she owns the tank.

I've decided to hold off from getting my Mandy another mate. This is primarily because I don't know if what my Mandy is having is contagious to other Mandys (those white blemishes), and also because it appears that the little spike in the fin might mean 'she' was all along a 'he'. I don't want to pair them up wrongly in any case.

However, just wanted to ask all of you - can I add inverts such as shrimps and porcelain crabs to my tank? That won't tip the bioload, would it? :unsure:

I just wanted to swing by and ask - I'm observing slightly weird behavior from my clownfish. I now have 1 aquacultured Occy with a mild misbar (Hermes) and a wild True Percula (Hera). Hermes does the shimmy dance when he is around Hera, but his color appears to fade out a little. His orange isn't as deep and vibrant as it was before, although he is still eating, and his fins are slightly clamped. Should I just observe him for another three days, or should I move him into a QT tank and treat him with Coppersafe as an extra precaution?

Dr.Brain Coral

I dont think a porcelain crab or shrimp would raise your bioload very much. Sorry I am not much help with your other question. Im nto much of a fish guy haha

I can't seem to keep these guys alive? what do you feed them? is there algae in your tank?

Hi Hypo - mine eats bits of microalgae that grows in between my zoa polyps. But he also loves small chunks of meaty stuff like shrimp and squid. Just cut it up and feed it to the crab using a pair of tweezers every once or twice a week. Also, give them plenty of shells to switch around to. Hope this helps. :)

I dont think a porcelain crab or shrimp would raise your bioload very much. Sorry I am not much help with your other question. Im nto much of a fish guy haha

No worries, and thanks for the info. I've QTed the faded clown however even though he's eating and swimming normally, just as a precaution. Will re-introduce him back to the tank in a week or two.

Hi Hypo - mine eats bits of microalgae that grows in between my zoa polyps. But he also loves small chunks of meaty stuff like shrimp and squid. Just cut it up and feed it to the crab using a pair of tweezers every once or twice a week. Also, give them plenty of shells to switch around to. Hope this helps. :)

Hmm I think my tank has basically no microalgae left (besides the stuff that grows on the glass), so all they eat are fish pellets/flakes. Maybe they're missing some veggie from their diets?

Hmm I think my tank has basically no microalgae left (besides the stuff that grows on the glass), so all they eat are fish pellets/flakes. Maybe they're missing some veggie from their diets?

I toss mine some nori stuffed under a rock/shell to hold it down... they seem to love it.

Yeah, I guess you could try Nori as Tam said. :)

Went to the store today and picked up this little guy:

A few more teaser pics:

I know it's not much, but here's the latest FTS:

One of my hermits - I don't know which - ripped off half of my Implosion Green Palys and my entire mushroom to pieces. I fuged all four of them, and am now letting one hermit out at a time to find out which one's the crazy critter that went amok on my corals. The culprit will be sent back to the store.

I'd suspect the biggest hermit. I don't know if that guy is reef safe. ALSO, the bigger they are, the more they hunger, so maybe it was just hungry

Archived