ReefCleaners.org

Shadow's 16G Disaster. Fumigation Poisoned the Tank and Crashed It.

Snow_Phoenix

Sucks about the tank, it was so pretty. :(

P.S. FYI, your type II diabetes might also be caused by chronic inflammation due to your infection. Bacterial infections with Staph A. have been known to induce reversible type II diabetes in patients (or so claims one of my profs, I'll see if I can grab you a source next week) due to the diabetogenic inflammation factors that are released upon infection.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sucks about the tank, it was so pretty. :(

P.S. FYI, your type II diabetes might also be caused by chronic inflammation due to your infection. Bacterial infections with Staph A. have been known to induce reversible type II diabetes in patients (or so claims one of my profs, I'll see if I can grab you a source next week) due to the diabetogenic inflammation factors that are released upon infection.

Yeah, it was gorgeous. I had planned on upgrading, but the move was scheduled for the end of Feb - most certainly not now. Still, everything is holding on and I only have a very thin film of diatom left on the rear chamber of my refugium - which is already being munched on by my trochus snails. Those guys sure pack a punch on film algae. My urchin on the other hand finds the tougher algae yummy. I had a small patch of turf algae (very hard to remove and looks like a mini green carpet) on a zoa colony and he wiped it out in a day.

Thank you very much for that very insightful information. And yes, I'd appreciate a link if you can get it - I love reading through articles, especially medical-related ones. :)

Yu'll love reading It Starts with Food then, the whole book is about carbs and sugar and dairy and the inflammation they cause. Removing or minimizing and it's striking what a difference occurs- stomach gut goes away (the cortisol holder) and total body inflammation reduced and a reset of hormones back to normal which or course regulates weight.

Yu'll love reading It Starts with Food then, the whole book is about carbs and sugar and dairy and the inflammation they cause. Removing or minimizing and it's striking what a difference occurs- stomach gut goes away (the cortisol holder) and total body inflammation reduced and a reset of hormones back to normal which or course regulates weight.

I'll check that up as well. Thanks for the recommendation! :)

Shadow! So sorry to hear about the tank emergency. Weetabix (I think) made a fuge out of Tupperware, the concept can easily be applied to house your extra rocks till you figure out your next move.

Thank you, Kat - I actually want to crush one of the giant purple rocks in the middle of the tank and use it as LR rubble in my fuge, but there's a nice nem on it and I don't want to stress it. Even my dad commented and asked, "With that much rock, where on earth are your fish going to swim?!" :closedeyes:

Gotta say I agree with him. So I'm doing passive nano fish that don't require much space. :happy:

Here are some random images from my tank - from my elusive Hawaiian shrimp to my unidentified macros and several close-up shots.

So there you go. :)

Hello everyone. I've decided to introduce Uriel into my tank since he refuses to touch anything. For the first 24 hours he was very shy and kept hiding from the front of the tank, but I did manage to snag a few pics:

You can tell how small he actually is by comparing him to the size of my dreamy people eaters and fiery grapes. He's approximately 2/3 of an inch in RL.

Okay, so I need some opinions from anyone reading this - does Uri look skinny to you in any way? For me, he's slightly more slender than my previous spotted Mandy, so he looks thinner to me. Also, I found him wedged between the fuge box and the back of the tank today. I literally had to tear apart my scape, remove the fuge and manually (but gently) get him out of there. Turns out he's been binging on pods behind there all night. <_<

I ended up putting a sort of mesh covering between the fuge and the tank wall, but it's loose and a shoddy job tbh. So I'm thinking of purchasing a pair of long plastic rulers and sort of blocking the gap between the box and the tank wall since I plan on having small fish - one of which I'm sure is going to end up wedged in there again.

Anyways, here's some shots of my nems feeding:

Unidentified nem no. 1 eating a whole piece of jumbo shrimp. Identified as a 'majano' by so-called Msian 'reefing experts', but it's purple with green tips and doesn't fit the usual physical characteristics of a majano so I'm not sure what it is exactly.

Rock flower nem gorging on giant piece of shrimp. She actually swallowed the whole thing. :blink:

Dr. Zoidberg enjoying his buffet. :D

Mini Maxi carpet on the verge of bursting (but didn't).

New rock flower nem discovered on a zoa colony! This one's a stunner though. Green streaked with pink, brown and a bit of yellow. :D

Happy nem after feeding! B)

Now on to some corals!

Little fungia?

Ultra green Zoa colony with black ball sponge.

Giant black tunicate.

Also, if all goes well, I'll be getting either a green or yellow clown goby and a neon goby tomorrow. (Decided to forgo the Hi-fin idea). Both will enter into QT first. My dartfish are also still doing well. :)

Okies, before I tell you what I managed to get (and didn't get) today, here are some photos of my corals/nems:

As for what I managed to get today, well, I didn't get a single fish because there were no nano-sized fish in this week's shipment. Although I did eye the Candy basslet for a while but it costs three figures, and I didn't feel like taking such a huge risk on a tiny yet beautiful fish.

So I managed to get a rare purplish-red-with-gold-streaks Hawaiian feather star, a brown banded brittle star and two blue legged hermit crabs.

Here they are acclimating:

And here are some shots of them while they were in the tank:

And on to some mysterious nems that I newly discovered - you can see two in this(these) pic(s):

Also, I have removed a large extra piece of LR in the display since the tank was overcrowded with rock. So now the scape resembles a 'M' shape decorated with corals. FTS on 4/1/2015:

i like it w/ the hole on the side. Nems, always hungry!!

Yep, me too! I was thinking of adding more Chaeto to my fuge as well. Right now I have 3 RFAs, 2 unidentified nems, 1 mini-maxi carpet nem and 1 ball nem (I just noticed this last night). :lol:

Also discovered two aiptasia, but I'll smother them with super glue before they become bigger. :angry:

yeah, I have the aptasia battle in my 34. I killed the few I saw on one rock in my 60- that spec rock is only home to one recuperating nem and a curlique anemone

yeah, I have the aptasia battle in my 34. I killed the few I saw on one rock in my 60- that spec rock is only home to one recuperating nem and a curlique anemone

Well, I want these ones gone before they start spreading. I had a few spring up when I first started this tank, but I either directly burned them off using a matchstick, smothered them with superglue or squirted boiling hot water into their holes. So far all techniques worked well, until I saw another two pop up today. One of them is right next to my new RFA, so I have no idea how I'm supposed to tackle that one. :(

nice nem and feather duster!

Thank you, Ninja. :)

I also added more Chaeto and fun stuff today. Well, mostly Chaeto.

Here's a FTS of the tank:

J6tEElp.png

Sorry, I'm still not good at adjusting contrast colors for my shots. The tank is actually quite green (most of the corals are that color) in RL. I hope someday I'll be able to snap a better pic to show you guys. :(

Have some really bad news. My ruby red is not doing well at all. I've exhausted all possibilities except for roe, which for some reason cannot be found in any of my local markets this season. He's not even making an attempt to forage for pods. He just sits in one corner and then occassionally scoots about. He's lost so much weight that his belly is concave and his lateral lines are showing up. I can recognize the signs of starvation when I see it.

Which leaves me with no choice actually. Can't sell him back to the store because they're overloaded with fish that they're desperately trying to clear out before their one week closure from CNY. I'm in over my head in this one.

I know it's my fault for being impatient. But I just wish he'd eat at least a pod or two. :(

I wouldn't blame yourself dudette. If you have a booming pod population and it's not eating I don't think there is any fault on your part. I hope he starts moving around though, good luck getting him to eat.

i've read these little ones are very difficult. I had tons of baby pods in mine. Didn't live but 2 wks for me, and still plenty of baby pods everywhere.

I wouldn't blame yourself dude. If you have a booming pod population and it's not eating I don't think there is any fault on your part. I hope he starts moving around though, good luck getting him to eat.

I'm a dudette. ;)

I do have a very good pod population thanks to my fuge, but yes, I hope he at least moves around more actively. :(

i've read these little ones are very difficult. I had tons of baby pods in mine. Didn't live but 2 wks for me, and still plenty of baby pods everywhere.

Sigh. I had better luck with Spotted Mandys in the past. Perhaps I shall try one again in the far future. Right now I'm more interested in securing a clown goby. Still...this is one beautiful yet tough little fish to care for. Even my LFS's ruby reds aren't eating anything according to them.

I'm a dudette. ;)

I do have a very good pod population thanks to my fuge, but yes, I hope he at least moves around more actively. :(

Lol my bad, I fixed my post for you :D. My ruby red was real skinny like that too and he turned into a mini fat albert so don't give up hope.

Lol my bad, I fixed my post for you :D. My ruby red was real skinny like that too and he turned into a mini fat albert so don't give up hope.

I hope so. I'll try to get roe again in the market, but most of the shops are closing for CNY. Other shops are out of roe. Worse come to worse I'll hound restaurants and ask them where they get their roe supply from, and if it's possible for me to buy some roe off them. I once tried getting masago at a sushi store, but they turned me away. :(

So sorry to hear :( I doubt it was anything you did. If it was never attempting to forage, then the fish probably was already weak when you bought it.

If you remember, the 1st ruby I got arrived on deaths door and I had to nurse it back to health with roe. It would not forage either until it had gained its strength back but would peck at eggs placed directly in front of it.

I have otherwise found these guys the easiest of the dragnets to keep as long as they arrive healthy and start eating frozen. Mine spawn every few days.

So sorry to hear :( I doubt it was anything you did. If it was never attempting to forage, then the fish probably was already weak when you bought it.

If you remember, the 1st ruby I got arrived on deaths door and I had to nurse it back to health with roe. It would not forage either until it had gained its strength back but would peck at eggs placed directly in front of it.

I have otherwise found these guys the easiest of the dragnets to keep as long as they arrive healthy and start eating frozen. Mine spawn every few days.

I know - I remember how thin bones was, and how happy and fat he is today. I wish Uri would make such a comeback but I'm doubtful. I'm thinking of isolating him in a different tank and then try one last time to train him. If I'm not successful again, then there's nothing much I can do, :(

I wouldn't move Uri, you're likely going to stress the fish too much. It has little strength, best not to have it wasted trying to avoid capture. If you can find live foods of some sort - live black worm, blood worms even, BBS, brine shrimp - those may be temptation in case you haven't tried these foods already.

I wouldn't move Uri, you're likely going to stress the fish too much. It has little strength, best not to have it wasted trying to avoid capture. If you can find live foods of some sort - live black worm, blood worms even, BBS, brine shrimp - those may be temptation in case you haven't tried these foods already.

Alright, noted. I've tried all three with no luck. The only thing I haven't tried is live tubifex, but problem is those worms shrivel up pretty fast once introduced to saltwater. Also, they do have a penchant for carrying nasty parasites.

Archived