inTank Media Baskets

Ninja's 12g PicO S III ~ Tank Leaking Taking it Down ~

ninjamyst

Well, i guess this was meant to be. I am going away for a business trip tomorrow and this tank started crashing this weekend. I was going to decide what to do with it when I am back from the trip, but nothing may survive when I come back. I added nothing to the tank. Just did regular water changes. Only thing is I opened a new bag of salt. So far, I have lost the open brain coral, a big chunk of meteor cyphastrea, and one birdsnest. All my frogspawns have receded. All SPS has no polyps showing, signs of STN on remaining birdsnest and green pocillopora. This happened in a matter of 48 hours. Water change on Thursday, started seeing signs on Saturday. I use the same new bag of salt in my Fluval Spec but that tank seems fine. My one theory is harmful chemical got into the tank? So I just changed out the Purigen and Chemipure Elite. Will also do a 20% water change in a couple of hours with another new bag of salt. If things dont improve before I sleep, I will have to move the most expensive corals to the Fluval Spec and see what survives when I am back...

If you weren't getting ready to leave town, I'd suggest removing the palys that are closed up. Maybe they are the reason for the crash. Perhaps released something, and continue to release something, from the peroxide dip. So sorry this his happening to you :(.
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't leave, Spec bro!

My advice is simple...

1. Get new salt.

2. Make new water, do LARGE water change...big as you can up to 100%. Really.

3. Run as much active filtration as you can...carbon carbon carbom.

4. Toss anything that looks like a for-sure gonner.

Good luck buddy. Lots of folks here rooting for you.

UGH...just say you are leaving tomorrow. Throw in Carbon if you can, hope for the best!

If you weren't getting ready to leave town, I'd suggest removing the palys that are closed up. Maybe they are the reason for the crash. Perhaps released something, and continue to release something, from the peroxide dip. So sorry this his happening to you :(.

Just called my wife and she said things look even worst than last night. I told her to use the tweezer and take out that colony of paly. Will check back tomorrow......

Don't leave, Spec bro!

My advice is simple...

1. Get new salt.

2. Make new water, do LARGE water change...big as you can up to 100%. Really.

3. Run as much active filtration as you can...carbon carbon carbom.

4. Toss anything that looks like a for-sure gonner.

Good luck buddy. Lots of folks here rooting for you.

UGH...just say you are leaving tomorrow. Throw in Carbon if you can, hope for the best!

I will definitely do this when I am back next Wednesday, if anything survives. The Spec is doing great though. I already have coraline growing on the rock. Weird that this tank been up for 6+ months and still no coraline but the Spec been only up for 3 months.

I'm really glad you're going to stay w/ some versus none. We'd miss your beautiful artistry. :wub:. your pics.

just got a facebook message from my wife:

"all the stick corals are white and dead. fish are still alive, shrimp is still alive. other corals look half dead. no smell yet"

fml

still 3 1/2 days till I go home.

BRADYBUNCH7

just got a facebook message from my wife:

"all the stick corals are white and dead. fish are still alive, shrimp is still alive. other corals look half dead. no smell yet"

fml

still 3 1/2 days till I go home.

-_-

I am sorry to hear about the troubles :( I hope you don't give up. Your tank was beautiful and can be again. Unfortunately this can happen to any of us. All it takes is is 1 bad batch of salt or an act from mother nature.

If you still have the dead plate. Keep it in the tank and perhaps it will bless you with babies in the future.

yeah, so stay with it even with one tank. Could there be anything sprayed near the tank? a cleaner? or something from the ventilation? Anything like hand lotion on the hands going in the tank. Just trying to think of anything to account for this.

Oh no! This sucks! I can't imagine the feeling of not being able to do anything about it since you're not in town. I really hope you don't lose everything, ninjamyst. Best of luck to you and the tank.

While this tank is deteriorating in Chicago, my sister took me to some cool places along the California coastline. We checked out the tidal pools at Half Moon Bay. It was AWESOME. We timed it so it was low tide and we saw all sorts of snails, hermit crabs, macroalgae, and lots and lots of rock anemones. We went looking for starfish but NONE in the tidal pool. It was only when we started wading out in the water that we saw a huge orange one. Afterwards, we went to a dog beach by the coast with some spectacular views. I regret not bringing my big DSLR with me, but hope you guys / gals enjoy the pictures.

13705394825_0390592932.jpg

(recently died crab)

13705396133_b3aa38b4cf.jpg

13705739404_8ddf79479f.jpg

13705388775_06837146e1.jpg

13705379915_21a6e4e704.jpg

13705370355_dca1778021.jpg

13705380283_7858186e42.jpg

13705378613_2b07f367c6.jpg

13705722354_bd56262bbb.jpg

13705387873_ece7251248.jpg

13705383335_731dd3e243.jpg

13705750724_8714db55e1.jpg

13705749304_11503bec9e.jpg

13705402073_f9849e9a23.jpg

(my sister's toe next to a jellyfish on the beach)

Great pics! You're on my coast :).

That crab isn't a molt?

I see photography runs in the family. That shot of you from behind, looking out at the ocean, jet at right corner, is awesome!

Great pics! You're on my coast :).

That crab isn't a molt?

I see photography runs in the family. That shot of you from behind, looking out at the ocean, jet at right corner, is awesome!

Ooo...i never thought about it being a molt. It very well could be. I have to tell my sister exactly how to frame the shot =P.

Really nice pics. thanks for taking/sharing.

wow thats awesome stuff man. i wanna take a trip out there

Soooo jealous!! Those are great photos!! I hope your tank bounces back when your back. :)

Thanks everyone. Half Moon Bay is about 40 mins from San Francisco, and it's really a great place to unwind and relax. The tidal pools are part of a marine reserve and definitely worth a trip out there. We also saw tons of seals sunbathing.

On my way back to Chicago today so we will see...

Ooo...i never thought about it being a molt. It very well could be. I have to tell my sister exactly how to frame the shot =P.

On my way back to Chicago today so we will see...

:lol: here I thought she was just as talented as you :).

Safe travels and fingers crossed for some good news with the tank fingerscrossed.

How could you not resist pocketing one of those (nems)!

I know! They look so awesome in the tidal pools.

Just got back and lights out but I can see all my SPS have RTNed pretty bad. ALL of them. Frogspawns are same as when I left, recessed and pissed off. Two cyphastrea look dead. WIll have to check on zoas tomorrow. My other tank had a green hair algae bloom...algae everywhere! This is 1 1/2 week without a water change, but with no feeding at all. Gonna do major cleanup tomorrow. Throw away all the SPS, Two 50% water changes in both tank. Busy busy.

Oh man you are at one of my favorite spots! I live in L.A. but the Cambria area is sooooo nice, can't wait to get back up there...

It'll come back and in a revived way. Ninja renewed!

Yes, I think this was for the best. I now know exactly what I wanted in this tank. When I started this tank, I tried to throw everything in it. Big newbie mistake. I plan to sell the MP10 after getting rid of all the SPS. Lower the light back down a little. Get my ricordea tree back up. Fill the sandbed with frogspawns and hammers. Turn the other "branch" rock into zoas only. Low maintenance, colorful, flowing.

Archived