Innovative Marine Aquariums

| Pico~Arium | Sadness has struck!

ExSmoker

I have tested the water evap, takes 3 days before it changes SG from 1.024 to 1.025 :)

I could always use plastic wrap on top to cut down on evap.

it's hard to maintain these kind of vases without contacting the edge...where you can put a slow drip in place...i figured i dripped 3 oz. of ro water a day to maintain...before i went automatic..

you've done good... i like it

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

going air? you're gonna need some tools....dremmel if possible, if not a sharp knife, some crazy glue, a cd jewel case, an ac402 hob filter, some balls to sacrafice that 402 in the name of all that is planktonic. you're gonna need some extra length for your intake hose.

your vase is twelve inches deep? i had to extend mine by using another intake i had from another ac402, cutting it, sanding it and supergluing it all together. i think you can buy intakes at superdooperpetstores.. you just need the right diameter...

then you drill a hole in the top of the intake, a very tight hole, so no air gets in. if you're using super glue, you'll be able to seal the hole.

this hole is for your rigid air line. the rigid airline must be long enough to reach the end of the intake wihtout letting air escape the intake.

it's not a massive water mover by any means, but it's more than enough to start a nice vase with. trust me on that. it'll fit nicely onto your vases edge. check mine out, you'll see what i'm talking about. ..you can run the 402 on its own if you want, it's one of the best hob filters i've ever used. one of them i had using salt to fresh to salt for almost twenty years...it'll keep ticking or at least it should,

hope that helps you....as for your pallys... you can feed them and they'll multiply like you wouldn't believe, especially with that light...

they should get really big too...those mushrooms will eat as well...they don't like lots of water movement in small vases.

watch your alkalinity with those guys. what kind of sand is it?

I NEED FILTER ideas asap. Its a pain to keep this very clean grrrrrr. hopefully DIY...

you're gonna need to make some glass scraping tools to help with your obsessive compulsive algal scraping disorder...i can help you with that

i got some ideas if you need emtools-01.png

Thanks for the suggestions.

I wanna keep this simple as possable lol

Right now I got 1 pump 50gph for flow and heat thats it.

going air? you're gonna need some tools....dremmel if possible, if not a sharp knife, some crazy glue, a cd jewel case, an ac402 hob filter, some balls to sacrafice that 402 in the name of all that is planktonic. you're gonna need some extra length for your intake hose.

your vase is twelve inches deep? i had to extend mine by using another intake i had from another ac402, cutting it, sanding it and supergluing it all together. i think you can buy intakes at superdooperpetstores.. you just need the right diameter...

then you drill a hole in the top of the intake, a very tight hole, so no air gets in. if you're using super glue, you'll be able to seal the hole.

this hole is for your rigid air line. the rigid airline must be long enough to reach the end of the intake wihtout letting air escape the intake.

it's not a massive water mover by any means, but it's more than enough to start a nice vase with. trust me on that. it'll fit nicely onto your vases edge. check mine out, you'll see what i'm talking about. ..you can run the 402 on its own if you want, it's one of the best hob filters i've ever used. one of them i had using salt to fresh to salt for almost twenty years...it'll keep ticking or at least it should,

hope that helps you....as for your pallys... you can feed them and they'll multiply like you wouldn't believe, especially with that light...

they should get really big too...those mushrooms will eat as well...they don't like lots of water movement in small vases.

watch your alkalinity with those guys. what kind of sand is it?

Thanks. I know what ya mean. Thats how I started this one, by looking at other vase tanks.

I hate looking at these Jar tanks, they really make me want to start one... I'd never get one to turn out nice. :lol:

I use a toothbrush to clean the glass and turkey baster for water changes.

you're gonna need to make some glass scraping tools to help with your obsessive compulsive algal scraping disorder...i can help you with that

i got some ideas if you need emtools-01.png

Thinking about making a mini air lift tube for water flow instead of the pump, this way plankton will grow better. who else thinks this is a good idea ? I just need an mini air pump.

Okkkk so I got my TDS meter and now I'm affraid...

Cold Tap water 158

Cold RO water 156

Bottled water 170 --> This is the RO water just bottled up.

4 stage RO DI from BRS, below is how I have it set up and running...

100gpd membrain

5 micron sed filter

5 micron sed filter

carbon block

all changed to NEW July 28th 2013.

Whats going on? Is the NEW TDS pen broken?

Okkkk so I got my TDS meter and now I'm affraid...

Cold Tap water 158

Cold RO water 156

Bottled water 170 --> This is the RO water just bottled up.

4 stage RO DI from BRS, below is how I have it set up and running...

100gpd membrain

5 micron sed filter

5 micron sed filter

carbon block

all changed to NEW July 28th 2013.

Whats going on? Is the NEW TDS pen broken?

it might be. i hope you didnt pay too much for it. bottle DI water should be only a few TDS. I use poland spring DI water sometimes and my TDS pen says around 4ppm TDS on it. my tap is 550+TDS and way back when I had my RO/DI unit running with fresh membranes and filters it said 0 TDS.

if it doesn't behave, definitely return for a refund.

The TDS pen came from Ebay for $9.00. so returning it wont work lol I getting a friend to come down next week with his $30.00 pen to cross referance the readings.

it might be. i hope you didnt pay too much for it. bottle DI water should be only a few TDS. I use poland spring DI water sometimes and my TDS pen says around 4ppm TDS on it. my tap is 550+TDS and way back when I had my RO/DI unit running with fresh membranes and filters it said 0 TDS.

if it doesn't behave, definitely return for a refund.

Thinking about making a mini air lift tube for water flow instead of the pump, this way plankton will grow better. who else thinks this is a good idea ? I just need an mini air pump.

this is something homemade i made a while back. i've since ripped the base of off and it sits in one of these containers covered in pallys..really easy to make, and something like it could work for your vase..uplift-01.png..

uplift-02.pngcheck out the sketch in my profle.

• 3 weeks later...

you're gonna need a toothbrush on a long stick...i would just clean the glass and watch what happens.. i think you've gotta go through this algae cycle, get it out of the way before you start stocking a little heavier....

Archived