Top Shelf Aquatics

| Pico~Arium | Sadness has struck!

ExSmoker

Yes the lid seals too well lol I had to cut a hole in the back so air could excape. I keep the SG at 1.024 so IF I'm not home and evape gets bad it wont get passed 1.025 :) I tested this out already and its takes 3 days at 85°f days for the water to evap enough to change the SG from 1.024 to 1.025... I dont use a heater in the tank because just the pump causes the temp to be 76°f to 78°f for the last month. and the temp in my house is always around 70°f. so it works well so far.

how's the evap rate? how often do you need to top off? I imagine its pretty nonexistent because the lid seals it well?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

any idea what you ordered for the CUC? or is it truly random?

So your vase goes 3 days between topoffs. I wonder if mine can do that. I just recently got it to 1.024SG and marked my water level to keep track of it.

Pretty much random, my supplier knows me well enough lol I too marked a line on the side..

any idea what you ordered for the CUC? or is it truly random?

So your vase goes 3 days between topoffs. I wonder if mine can do that. I just recently got it to 1.024SG and marked my water level to keep track of it.

I got:

4 tiny blue hermits

1 Ricorida Mushroom

1 Red Buttilon Pally

1 Sea Serpent (Its going back because its too big) Swapping for a Brittle Star. = $20.00 delievered to my door.

Meh lol Its alright.

pretty good price!

I'm thinking that these DIY LEDs may not cut it :(

The pally frag & mushroom would not open under it at all even after a few hours. However, when I put them under my Par38 they started to open within a few mins. This is a custom Par38 with Blue, Green, Red & 2 types of whites, so its pretty white.

i think you should go with a par30 if you don't want demanding sps in the future. otherwise the par38 may be too bright, don't you think?

Was thinking this LED combo:

4x 455nm Royal Blue

2x 4500k Neutral White

2x 470nm Cool Blue

2x 410nm Pure Violet

1x 495nm Turquoise

1x 660nm Deep Red

18watts total and dimmable.

i think you should go with a par30 if you don't want demanding sps in the future. otherwise the par38 may be too bright, don't you think?

I think that'll work. it's a bit more than 10w - which is what i see working best with soft corals, but 18w should be doable. plus would be good for sps in the future I would imagine.

Very true, who knows if I would end up making a larger pico or whatnot so it may be a good idea to get one that can handel SPS just incase.

I think that'll work. it's a bit more than 10w - which is what i see working best with soft corals, but 18w should be doable. plus would be good for sps in the future I would imagine.

There we have it, the masses of NR who voted aggree that...

Par38 - 18w dimmable

4x 455nm Royal Blue

2x 4500k Neutral White

2x 470nm Cool Blue

2x 410nm Pure Violet

1x 495nm Turquoise

1x 660nm Deep Red

Is the way to go...

I will get to ordering this next week some time, for now I am using a different Par38 12" off the water and the frags seem to responding well, even tho its very white in color.

my current lighting is Par38 - 18w & dimmable

4x 6500k Neutral White,

4x 10000K white,

2x 455nm Cool Blue,

1x 495nm Turquoise,

1x 660nm Deep Red

It was made for my FW planted pico

x, i have a single par 30 from boost...5 leds...over a two and a half gallon vase, that's enough to keep a dozen plus species of stonies in my vase thriving....it's all you need... i might even add a few sps if i can get some more circulation on there, but no more light.

How many inches above?

x, i have a single par 30 from boost...5 leds...over a two and a half gallon vase, that's enough to keep a dozen plus species of stonies in my vase thriving....it's all you need... i might even add a few sps if i can get some more circulation on there, but no more light.

sorry i didn't mean to be waving my bottle in your face. this was an easy pic for me to find...one thing i forgot to mention is that i rotate the vase,i do so at such a slow rate that only the sandbed is the tell tail sign..i do it to expose the algae that builds up in the back...by the hob intake. it gives food to the astreas. they get shuffled around abit in my system and its a nice treat to see them mow it down. it also slowly exposes other corals to more and less light..

hey x have you got a recent pick? i've been going picture happy lately...

Photo as of today:

2013-09-01070519_zpscba837e6.jpg

2013-09-01070543_zps1c9183fc.jpg

Because of the light, its super white in color :(

I think my hermits are eating the Red Titan Maco :( I feed them this morning also. They made quick work of the GHA lol Ohh and all the rock is in.the center, so when I clean the glass off, its 360°

I have tested the water evap, takes 3 days before it changes SG from 1.024 to 1.025 :)

I could always use plastic wrap on top to cut down on evap.

You're going to want a lid on that. You'd be surprised how much evap happens when you create water movement in a small space like that.

With an open top? When I had my pico running I was losing about a half inch a day out of it. That's a LOT for that sort of tank. I had to make an ato for it.

Archived