Innovative Marine Aquariums

| Pico~Arium | Sadness has struck!

ExSmoker

Just checked with supplier, No Ceriths at all :(

get at least two cerith snails. try to get dwarf ones. they might even breed so you can have more. then you can give some away to your friends on here :P

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats odd, PB turned it? It was upside right while shooting it. Soory...

video is on it's side, but yes the flow looks fine!

Thanks Jr :) I hope it works out well. I know its a pretty small tank but lots of planning and hopefuly inspire someone else to make a pico.

looks awesome to me.

Flow looks just right. The pump being tilted is driving me bonkers though lol.

Haha, the pump is titled because if its not, the suction cups wont stick and it falls lol

Also because the pumps output is hitting the back of the rock first, otherwise the flow would be stronger lol 50 gph pump in a 1gal.

Haha, the pump is titled because if its not, the suction cups wont stick and it falls lol

Also because the pumps output is hitting the back of the rock first, otherwise the flow would be stronger lol 50 gph pump in a 1gal.

be careful with that pump.... i've had at least one neartotalwipeout due to one of those expiring in my vase...

keep an eye on your temp....don't put anything in that could get sucked up into the pump.... because the first thing you'll notice will be the smell...

Tell me what ya think about this CUC:

1 mini brittle star

1 scarlet hermit

1 nass snail

1 cerith snail

hey x, can i get involved here? if you haven't already purchased your cleanup crew, i recommend going to the lfs and buying a small but extremely choice piece of live rock..the fresher the better(ie doesn't stink.)... alage is good sponges are nice.... and letting your vase cycle for another week or so...trust me the fauna that'll fall off will become extremely beneficial to teh health of your system. in fact i would load the whole vase with live rock and deepen the sandbed...deep sandbed animals are the security your reef will need when problems and spikes occur........

I have used this pump many times in a few tanks without issues. I just glue plactic canvase to the pumps impeller hole, works great.

be careful with that pump.... i've had at least one neartotalwipeout due to one of those expiring in my vase...

keep an eye on your temp....don't put anything in that could get sucked up into the pump.... because the first thing you'll notice will be the smell...

The cycle is already done :)

I did use a large peice of LR with dead rock when I set this up Aug 1st. took 20days to cycle.

Actually 3lbs of rock was too much so I had to use a hammer and smash it up so some of it would fit inside lol

Im just waiting on my CUC to arrive in the next week sometime. Cant complain about free delievery right to my door steps.

Not much has changed since my last post, everything look good so far and it on track.

hey x, can i get involved here? if you haven't already purchased your cleanup crew, i recommend going to the lfs and buying a small but extremely choice piece of live rock..the fresher the better(ie doesn't stink.)... alage is good sponges are nice.... and letting your vase cycle for another week or so...trust me the fauna that'll fall off will become extremely beneficial to teh health of your system. in fact i would load the whole vase with live rock and deepen the sandbed...deep sandbed animals are the security your reef will need when problems and spikes occur........

i like your light idea....

Thanks, I gotta test these out after I use a 12v power supply. If they dont work the way I want, then I shall use them over my FW planted 3gallon.

I had to take a photo next to a coin for size referance, I thought the LEDs would have been smaller since each one is only 1.5w 6500k. Plan is to mix them with 460nm Blue Leds to get an overall good look and keep the fixture very small.

CUC is arriving Thursday :) Its a suprise bag of hermits, Brittle Stars, Snails and maybe a frag or two... Will take photos and update 1st post with stocking list + prices.

ExSmoker, your project is really neat! If I get as handy and creative at DIY crafts as some of you guys on these boards, I might try out a 0.5 gallon vase project or something down the road. For now the best I could do was cobble together a rough hamster bottle ATO.

Have you seen any pods, bristle worms, stomatella, etc? I only ask because a couple of weeks ago I got a few pieces of live rock rubble (to put in the HOB fuge of a little 2.5 gallon pico tank that I'm sloooowly putting together) and a whole bunch of those came crawling out and doing their thing almost immediately. I found it surprising that you said you hadn't seen any yet!

I would second gogo's suggestion to get one little piece of fresh, "buggy" live rock to put in there seed the microfauna for your vase. A couple of weeks from now, no doubt you'd have a healthy and growing population of little... reef things in there.

well the LR I got to start this pico was not crawling with bugs, so I just waited till the cycle finsihed on its own 20days it took. I do see pods now all over the place so its good to go.

The macro seems to me doing alright also.

Wanna get a small CUC in here and have them clean up a bit. No worries, this is not my first reef or Pico by any means :) Ive had 50gal reefs and 3gal picos and tons more in between.

The hardest part is to NOT upgrade before the tank turns 1yr old lol

Hehe, fair enough.

I know what you mean about not upgrading! I did that right away in the freshwater hobby, probably a little fast. At least they're not quite as much of a bear to maintain: trim, squeegee, siphon, swish sponges, Prime, refill.

I actually really enjoy the idea of a pico tank. The only reason I probably will get a larger marine tank is to eventually have some animals that probably couldn't be healthy in such a small space, like an anemone, clam, or fish.

I think someplace in this thread I posted a photo of all 3 of my Picos side by side. 2 FW tanks and this SW one. You are right, FW is soooo easy for upkeep... Actually almost got another Pico today, excatly the same vase at Walmart... Its hard to beat a rimless glass aquarium for $8.00

Hehe, fair enough.

I know what you mean about not upgrading! I did that right away in the freshwater hobby, probably a little fast. At least they're not quite as much of a bear to maintain: trim, squeegee, siphon, swish sponges, Prime, refill.

I actually really enjoy the idea of a pico tank. The only reason I probably will get a larger marine tank is to eventually have some animals that probably couldn't be healthy in such a small space, like an anemone, clam, or fish.

I just recieved a culture of LIVE MIRCO WORMS!!!

Sweeeettt. I plan to feed them to my Inverts & Corals as a source of amino and fatty acids/protein on weekly!!!

Yeah I pretty much got them to feed my FW tanks/fish but then I remembered someone on NR uses them to feed his SW fish, at the worst, the inverts dont eat them and the FW end up getting more. But I really cant see any coral or invert not eating a small meaty wiggle worm lol These things are smaller then rofters and sooooo easy to keep/breed/feed lol

Hey I remember microworms! I used to have a couple of cultures a few years ago, back when I tried to breed betta fish.

Thanks, but it really was not very hard at all.

Some Ebay LEDs an old cell charger and some super glue is all it took :) Ive had a few tanks before so I wanted this one crazy simple and nice to look at. Thank GOD my house is always warm enough to not need a heater or it would have zero room in that Vase left.

Cool build and you have good DIY skills :)

Archived