SaltCritters.com

| Pico~Arium | Sadness has struck!

ExSmoker

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would it be better to #1 Build a removable Internal Filter box that hold pump & media.

Can buy a scrape peice of Pexiglass and have them cut it. will use plastic canvase to build the media rack..

or option #2 use LR only as build a back wall from LR that functions the same as an filter box that caint be removed. Also if using removable filter box. what can I do to keep the LR from falling? was thinking of using Silicone the rocks together and or to a peice of glass. I want to be able to remove all the rock in 1 peice if even needed. like upgrades or if the vase breaks...

Update on the LEDs, there are "waterproof" my A$$... Over 2days the moisture from regular water got inside the Gel of the LEDs. Probable because I had cut them to size and did not 100% seal them with Silicone. sooo I took them apart and are letting them dry out. then replace all openings with sicilone again to test them...

If I have to, I do have a Full Spectrum Par38 here, but was hopeing to keep a canopy on this to cut down on water evap...

Any suggestions??

Purchased New:

100gpd Membrain

2 seditment filters " 5 micron "

1 carbon block

Black Sugar Grain "Moon Sand"

photos comming today.

Great & Thanks! This tank is going to be Awsome, I hope lol

The whole consept is to not have any rock touching any glass and not have ANY cords inside the tank. So if all works out well it will be viewable from 360°. Right now Im unable to tell if these lights will be enough. if not, then I will build a small base and attach a diy swing arm and Par30 or Par16. custom colors.

I really like this! following......

So I removed the water pumps "safe guard grill" and ya know what? this has to be pushing more then 200Lph/50Gph, sand is drifting all over and some peices wont touch the bottom, just always suspened up in the water. Nice!

The last 2 days the tank and sand had been sitting in Vinger because it was used sand and I wanted everthing nice & clean. I have since washed the sand and tank completly several times. Just now I filled it with RODI water and added some Prime just to be safe. Tomorrow salt and LR go in, along with photo updates.

Feel free to toss out ANY stocking or other ideas you think may assist this Pico...

Lastly, the temp for the last 3days has never went above 80°f or below 75°f. Im hopeful that a temp swing this much wont be a major issue.

Ok so out ot the 2lbs of rock, maybe 1lbs actually fit inside this tank (after I took a hammer to it) lol & it only took 6 tablespoons of salt to make 1.025 SG at 100% water fill up. This salt should last forever haha. Got a SUPER nice peice of dead rock in there and several small chunks of LR from my friends 180gal sump.

Now wait for the cycling Grrrrr. Will post photos later today, I know your going to LOVE this scape.

2013-08-01154349_zps0e081e1b.jpg

Almost purchased some cylinder shape cork board today to use as a base for this tank, but though perhaps just building something with a dark wood stain would be better. so Im planning some things.

What corals out their are under rated? I know for sure a red gonipora is going in the left backside of this tank... Need suggestions for a center peice and just simply awsome corals.

No 50/50s I found them under SMD strip lights on Ebay. I emailed the seller and asked for Blue 455nm/ White 4500k & Red LEDs. Just had to cut the strips in half to fit under the lid. The color of the water looks Blue/Purple Awesome. I will post pics tomorrow of it. The 3W water pump is only 200L per hour and it seems to have enough current on it own for even LPS ;)

Do you have the link to this seller's fleebay store? BTW awesome start, I will say stay with zoas/shrooms :D

I PMd the sellers name to you.

Thanks for the kind words & yes, mostly softys but if all is well I may sneek a lps or 2 in here.

Do you have the link to this seller's fleebay store? BTW awesome start, I will say stay with zoas/shrooms :D

Today I decided to measure how much water/salt require for water changes. Answer is: 2cups/16oz water change needs just 2 level teaspoons of salt to make 1.024 SG. I will keep this tank at 1.024sg because with water evap and no ato I dont want SG to swing over 1.025 ever.

I have also been using Glad cling wrap over the top in order to limit evap and water spray on the LED lights. and to keep temp more stable.

Lastly I built a small internal filter out of a super glue bottle conected to the pump. Photos of this DIY a little later.

So you took a lid from a coffee can, glued LEDs to it and plugged it into a cell phone charger?? WOW! I am absolutely amazed at the DIY things you guys on here can do!! I wish I were a more handy person. Hats off to you! Cheers!

Thats excatly what I did lol & Thanks!

So you took a lid from a coffee can, glued LEDs to it and plugged it into a cell phone charger?? WOW! I am absolutely amazed at the DIY things you guys on here can do!! I wish I were a more handy person. Hats off to you! Cheers!

So today I realized that the LR is not so alive :(

I ended up tossing in some flake food and a tiny peice of table shrimp to get the party started.

Lets hope it takes less then 30days to cycle.

Still open for suggestions as to what CUC I can add here since the Pico will now go through a ugly stage with unwanted growth...

This is a Trout carving made from a moose's antler, he has made his way into my living room.

Was a nice gift from my parents while they had been on vacation.

2013-08-05174633_zps7879cc12.jpg

2013-08-05174701_zpsda28a94d.jpg

This is where the Pico lives, right next to my DIY planted 3Gal and planted FW Jar...

2013-08-05174237_zpsaa63542a.jpg

Archived