SaltCritters.com

KG's Reef² Coming Down

kguske2

Yeah I should've bidded on it...15 heads for $55....that's like $4 a head. Oh but add shipping of $30....$5 a head...lol. Someone could've easily won and just frag it and resell it for at least $20 a head..

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that went cheap!!

I know right? You could've just won it and frag it and resell it easily lol.

;)

What?!? You won it!!? lol

Nanofreak79

You need a baffles to keep water level steady for your skimmer. I know lawn doesn't , so I guess it's a matter of opinion. Did I miss something? What tank are you looking at. Getting a synergy sump huh big pimpin.

You need a baffles to keep water level steady for your skimmer. I know lawn doesn't , so I guess it's a matter of opinion. Did I miss something? What tank are you looking at. Getting a synergy sump huh big pimpin.

Lawn may be more in the loop than everyone else. He's a good secret keeper. The big reveal should be this Thursday though. And yep there shop is about 25 min from my house so the lfs stocks all sorts of synergy sumps :)

You dont like baffles?
Nope will never use baffles again I don't see the purpose. Glenn doesn't use them either.
My water level stays right at 8 inches. Now if you have a monster sump like 48x24x14 you could have salinity swings with no baffles. But I don't have any problems with my sized sump.

I know right? You could've just won it and frag it and resell it easily lol. What?!? You won it!!? lol
No I was winking at K because he told me to keep quiet.
Nope will never use baffles again I don't see the purpose. Glenn doesn't use them either.

My water level stays right at 8 inches. Now if you have a monster sump like 48x24x14 you could have salinity swings with no baffles. But I don't have any problems with my sized sump. No I was winking at K because he told me to keep quiet.

Do you have anything for ato consistency? 4" of linear surface area makes a float switch drop much more often and keep a consistent dose of water than 20" of linear surface.

Then again, I'm just curious. My ato is unplugged for the past 2 months and I top off a gallon or two at a time. I usually end up moving the return pump over the baffle and to the fuge area because the return area is bone dry.

My water level stays right at 8 inches. Now if you have a monster sump like 48x24x14 you could have salinity swings with no baffles. But I don't have any problems with my sized sump. No I was winking at K because he told me to keep quiet.

Interesting.. So your sump is just one big open space? Everything chilling together?

I guess I'm not down. I thought us zoa freaks stuck together......

We do for sure. However this required a law man expertise :lol:

I guess ato are only important for smaller tanks. I get nervous seeing unmixed freshwater hit coral, but a gallon of top off when the sump is half empty barely makes a noticeable movement on the refractometer and the freshwater only hits for a second or two.

glennr1978

;)

What?!? You won it!!? lol

Yeah right! Lawn wouldn't keep an acan if you gave it to him!!

Nope will never use baffles again I don't see the purpose. Glenn doesn't use them either. My water level stays right at 8 inches. Now if you have a monster sump like 48x24x14 you could have salinity swings with no baffles. But I don't have any problems with my sized sump.

Actually, I do use one. It's only used to keep the water level rock solid for the skimmer. This is because I have a 100% automated ATO system. I have a line running from my ro/di in the laundry room, through my attic, and into the room where the tanks are. That fills water into a reservoir that i use for wc's, top off, and drinking (yes, we drink ro/di here :)). I have a line from that reservoir that connects to a 5g bucket that I use for an ATO reservoir. The float switch for the ATO is on a timer so that it only turns on the ATO pump a couple of times a day. I have it like that so that the ro/di doesn't turn off and on multiple times daily (that would wreck the machine). So all of that stated, i have to have a baffle to keep the water level in the sump 100% stable for the skimmer.

I also ran the ATO for my 40 like this as well I haven't lugged water to fill an ATO reservoir in years :).

Do you have anything for ato consistency? 4" of linear surface area makes a float switch drop much more often and keep a consistent dose of water than 20" of linear surface.

Then again, I'm just curious. My ato is unplugged for the past 2 months and I top off a gallon or two at a time. I usually end up moving the return pump over the baffle and to the fuge area because the return area is bone dry.

My salinity stays rock solid in my 20x15x12 sump. My ATO kicks on about 3 times a day now rather than 6-7. But my salinity isn't swinging enough to show on my refractometer. Like I said if you have a huge sump you would want a return pump section for the ato.
glennr1978

Interesting.. So your sump is just one big open space? Everything chilling together?

Nothing wrong with that method. It works just fine. Before I set up my automated ATO reservoir system I ran a sump for a long time with no baffles. I never had any issues what so ever.

Yeah right! Lawn wouldn't keep an acan if you gave it to him!!

Actually, I do use one. It's only used to keep the water level rock solid for the skimmer. This is because I have a 100% automated ATO system. I have a line running from my ro/di in the laundry room, through my attic, and into the room where the tanks are. That fills water into a reservoir that i use for wc's, top off, and drinking (yes, we drink ro/di here :)). I have a line from that reservoir that connects to a 5g bucket that I use for an ATO reservoir. The float switch for the ATO is on a timer so that it only turns on the ATO pump a couple of times a day. I have it like that so that the ro/di doesn't turn off and on multiple times daily (that would wreck the machine). So all of that stated, i have to have a baffle to keep the water level in the sump 100% stable for the skimmer.

I also ran the ATO for my 40 like this as well I haven't lugged water to fill an ATO reservoir in years :).

I have heard of people doing that but my water level only drops 1/8 inch before the ATO kicks on. It doesn't seem to bother my skimmer.
glennr1978

I have heard of people doing that but my water level only drops 1/8 inch before the ATO kicks on. It doesn't seem to bother my skimmer.

I can't imagine that it would. I have roughly 40 square feet of surface area so even with the vast majority of my 55g sump being essentially a return chamber, evap can drop the water level really fast. I'm also running over 1,000w of mh over the tanks with no fans so that definitely promotes evap as well. The real purpose of the baffle is to extend the life of my ro/di more so than anything else. If I ran a traditional ATO set up I wouldn't even bother with the baffle. I'm all about simplicity these days, lol.

Interesting.. So your sump is just one big open space? Everything chilling together?We do for sure. However this required a law man expertise :lol:
Yep just a rimless tank. http://s915.photobucket.com/user/Lwnman/media/Snapbucket/5F5E06C0.jpg.html'>5F5E06C0.jpg

I can't imagine that it would. I have roughly 40 square feet of surface area so even with the vast majority of my 55g sump being essentially a return chamber, evap can drop the water level really fast. I'm also running over 1,000w of mh over the tanks with no fans so that definitely promotes evap as well. The real purpose of the baffle is to extend the life of my ro/di more so than anything else. If I ran a traditional ATO set up I wouldn't even bother with the baffle. I'm all about simplicity these days, lol.
With that big of area with no baffle would probably give you a salinity swing if using a standard ato lol
glennr1978

With that big of area with no baffle would probably give you a salinity swing if using a standard ato lol

It's really not all that big in comparison to the volume of the system as a whole. The water level will drop about 1/4" per gallon of evap (which would kick on the ATO well before a gallon was gone). The system is somewhere in the 400g range IIRC. So it's really not much different than having a very small return chamber on a small tank. You have sparked my curiosity though. I think Ill put a gallon of ro in the sump tomorrow (gradually, of course) to see if it even registers a difference on the refrac.

It's really not all that big in comparison to the volume of the system as a whole. The water level will drop about 1/4" per gallon of evap (which would kick on the ATO well before a gallon was gone). The system is somewhere in the 400g range IIRC. So it's really not much different than having a very small return chamber on a small tank. You have sparked my curiosity though. I think Ill put a gallon of ro in the sump tomorrow (gradually, of course) to see if it even registers a difference on the refrac.

I bet it won't even budge.
glennr1978

Is that the sca-301? How you like it. Does it pull dark nasties.

Those used to be great skimmers for the money. They may still be. I know they've been raising the prices on all of the SCA skimmer, but I have no idea what they cost now. I wish I would have kept the 302(?) that i had.

I like mine....definitely pulls some goo! I like that sump shot Lawny.

That is a old pic I have the Tunze 2.0 pump now.

You like how the same group jumps from thread to thread derailing it :lol:

Archived