Coral Vue Hydros

BC14 revamp... New Pic in first post 12/13/13

notwithit

Dude I've flooded my kitchen more time then I can count, so I'm wit you there and man my daughter was born 2 months ago and it's a trip! Very cool man

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing really to update. The kenya tree is getting huge and needs cut again shortly. Just in waiting for a while until i get money. Thanks for checking again.

Nothing really to update. The kenya tree is getting huge and needs cut again shortly. Just in waiting for a while until i get money. Thanks for checking again.

You're supposed to update even if there's nothing to update. Pics of random corals, idc!

You're supposed to update even if there's nothing to update. Pics of random corals, idc!

:lol: I like this philosophy.

My Kenya tree is dropping arms all over since the upgrade. I keep picking them up and dropping them in the display fuge. :)

Thanks for the update.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Kenya Tree is dropping all sorts of little flippity flipping babies.... Ohh my gosh..

I had to move some coral around as they were starting to get grumpy andddddddddd...... Five days before vacation the lights decide they are no longer working for peanuts..... Went and only thing I could find was a ecoxotic par 38 20k on short notice. Do not like at all. Will be returning it when I get home from vacation. Also a Reefbreeders Par 38 should be on my doorstep come that day.

Chaeto has taken off and some other sort of turfish algae has also taken stronghold of the rock... Hence the coral moves.

• 2 weeks later...

Cut the gigantic Kenya tree out. Went with a coral compulsion 40 watt. Not sure I like how blue it is but the coral sure do. Still have work to do. For some reason my pH dropped to 7.6 over the week I was gone and my cat tried to take a bath. Why do those things only seem to happen when away on vacation...

Also found out my little baby frags gender.

All appendages, the ultrasound looks good. Maybe I'll drop a pick here for y'all to guess.

• 1 month later...

I've waged war on my aquarium... My coral is dying and I'm just simply not happy at all with whats going on.

Corals have been moved to a safe undisclosed location, fish will be relocated shortly. War on algae and whatever is going on with water quality is about to commence.... Chemical warfare, hydrogen peroxide style, will shortly commence... As well as rock structure relocation project and possible sand bed improvements.

I've waged war on my aquarium... My coral is dying and I'm just simply not happy at all with whats going on.

Corals have been moved to a safe undisclosed location, fish will be relocated shortly. War on algae and whatever is going on with water quality is about to commence.... Chemical warfare, hydrogen peroxide style, will shortly commence... As well as rock structure relocation project and possible sand bed improvements.

HELL YA!!! peroxide it ALLLLLL.. 100% WC!!... Ditch the sand and go bare bottom maybe?!?! and add new sand later if you hate it.

re-scape YAY!! Sounds exciting :) Fresh new start.

HELL YA!!! peroxide it ALLLLLL.. 100% WC!!... Ditch the sand and go bare bottom maybe?!?! and add new sand later if you hate it.

re-scape YAY!! Sounds exciting :) Fresh new start.

Going to be dealing with sand. Don't like the look of bare bottom at all. BTW Tamb.... Katherine pushed me to keep going and told me I couldn't quit until I'd exhausted all ideas.

Going to be dealing with sand. Don't like the look of bare bottom at all. BTW Tamb.... Katherine pushed me to keep going and told me I couldn't quit until I'd exhausted all ideas.

Good lady, I was kinda sad you wanted to quit so easily. I killed some of my coral and I am still here and now battling dino.

Good lady, I was kinda sad you wanted to quit so easily. I killed some of my coral and I am still here and now battling dino.

I've been in saltwater for about 17 years. :-D

I left the pieces in the peroxide dip for about 2 minutes a piece. Did 1:1 water/peroxide. Broke apart some bigger pieces.

Nuked the living crap out of everything. I watched the dark red algae turn bright pasty white/red. All kinds of dead bristle worms and brittle stars.. Makes me a bit sad...

So now to make some purchases of cleanup crew again.

The clownfish has been incredible so far. Breathing a bit heavy from the sand moving around but it should be ok. Also had a few zoas that would not come off the main rocks. They look angry but that's all.

Upgraded the pump from a maxijet 600 to a 1200.

Thank you all again for spurring me on... and MetroKat for embedding the peroxide idea in my brain.

Forgot to mention that I had to do a bit of modification to the return pvc piece.. For some reason it decided it wasn't happy and wanted to not be a return pvc piece anymore. I showed it what for!

Will do probably tomorrow. Tired from work today.

I am not sure about the rockwork yet but it should be met with a sigh of relief to everyone that might have stuck around this dumb thread. The clownfish died. Would imagine particulate in the water + huge ammonia spike + water changes galore = too stressful. Saw a hermit eating it this morning.

So all my coral except one zoa colony is at a friends. Clownfish died... And I started a new cycle. Whoops.

Trying to kill the hydroids with fire. Also knocked a bunch of the random other stuff off.

• 2 months later...

I know I'm terrible at updating this terrible thread but ohh well.

First, I tried to save the tank trying to do a full water change and peroxide dip of everything I could....

Didnt help..

Sooooooo.... I went overboard. I only have one coral left. My coral at my friends died. I'm left with one coral chilling in a 5 gallon napa bucket with the light on it... This tank truly has been a serious of unfortunate events.

Have gone through multiple LED fixtures/lights all because of failures not due to my own fault.

Pulled all sand and rock out.... Pulled the rim and back chambers off... And now am putting an AC70 on the back.

I'm prepared, with how things are going, to wake up tomorrow to 14 gallons of water on my floor.

The best thing though is that my wife had our daughter!! And shes gorgeous... And I'm a daddy.... and it's amazing!

Not knowing parameters or seeing pictures of what was going on before you declared war, these are just wild guesses.

Okay so it seems your tank might have crashed due to one or more of the following.

1) peroxide (it's a good guy but too much will harm the tank)

2) removing the sand bed - stirred up crap and the peroxide killed the biological filter so the nitrates and ammonia that may have released could not be processed.

3) too large of a water change - pissed off an already pissed off tank

The die off must have been extreme. Post a picture of the tank if you can. Post parameters. If you don't have test kits, take some water to the LFS.

The best way to get everything right again is to aim towards stability. The latest die off can be corrected with water changes, do several smaller ones instead of a large one. But none of this matters without testing parameters while the tank is in a state of upheaval. Perhaps your salinity between old and new water is off, maybe too much of a temperature different, maybe alk or PH is too high or too low. There are many factors.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm sorry I've been so lax on updates. Babies kick my butt.

I currently have some zoas and GSP as well as a yellowtail damsel to eat the freaking flatworms that showed up. Man he/she is doing a wonderful job.

Kylie Grace below

post-45134-0-04933700-1402728998_thumb.jpg

Archived