ReefCleaners.org

BC14 revamp... New Pic in first post 12/13/13

notwithit

Dont you mean....... You must be getting busy!! ;-)

I'm not worried about filling the tank with coral. The tank would be up for 5+ years as long as life goes well so letting coral grow and stocking it is no prob... The one thing I haven't come to grips with yet though is the dosing.. SOOO MUCH dosing when the tank is bigger.

Ya dosing is a pain, plus if you run gfo/carbon or biopellets then you have to replace that media as well.

What size you think of upgrading to?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ya dosing is a pain, plus if you run gfo/carbon or biopellets then you have to replace that media as well.

What size you think of upgrading to?

30 cube or 40B would be about all my current house can fit.

Thanks again for following along!

Bryopsis?? GHA??

hmm does it have bubbles in it? is it slimey? Thinking dynoflagulates or cyano maybe but hard to tell from the pic.

Yah . . . looks a little slimy. If it has fine hairs, I'd say GHA. Pull the rocks and scrub or drizzle peroxide on it asap!
Take care of it while it's still small. Trust me. :)

New LEDS just arrived. I see why you guys say turn the light down. These have nice reflectors on them.

Today just got a little busier :-D

New LEDS just arrived. I see why you guys say turn the light down. These have nice reflectors on them.

Today just got a little busier :-D

Woo-hoo!

Definitely make sure to dim them, my 1st 19w pair burnt out and when I added my 2nd 16w pair.. I didn't dim them and nuked some zoa's.

New leds are on. Seems to work pretty well. Kenya tree is wavy and large.

Some specs that are neat lately..

Ph has been brought up from 7.2 - 8.2.. Almost where I want it.

Calcium has been brought up to 480.

Iodide is now at a good level at the.... .08 level. All corals are loving life currently! Now to figure out this stupid algae problem.. Reefcleaners package of snails should be here next week.

On a side note, I'm looking at a build that's a custom 40B dimensions from www.oceansbydesign.com with a like sized sump. Any comments on the parts picked out so far?

Cad Lights 2nd generation conic protein skimmer TIA-1220

Koralia Evolution 1050 powerheads.

Mag 5 return pump.

Maxspect Razor Light

More thoughts?

I looked at the picture called "algae" you posted, that doesn't look like algae, does it have fine hairs? Are you able to remove any rock which has it for a peroxide dip?

Yeah. I need to rename it. It looks like either bryopsis or lyngbya.

Any ideas on your end?

Some top view pics... Wish the algae wasnt there but still working on that! Things are looking better!

Normal

Top view

And how it looks with just magenta/blue... My phone hates it!

Top view 1

Yeah. I need to rename it. It looks like either bryopsis or lyngbya.

Any ideas on your end?

Peroxide dip on any one affected rock. Treat it directly. Do you have a cleaner shrimp? They don't survive broad scale peroxide treatments but everything else has been reported to be fine.

Peroxide dip on any one affected rock. Treat it directly. Do you have a cleaner shrimp? They don't survive broad scale peroxide treatments but everything else has been reported to be fine.

I have a peppermint. I can probably get it to a friends tank and dip my rocks and clean up the water.

I think peps are fine but you could remove him temporarily just to be certain. Have lots of water on hand for a water change if needed. Take out rocks, dip for 2 minutes in a 1/3 peroxide 2/3 tank water solution. You can go stronger. Corals will be fine. Dip. Rinse. Put back in tank. You can scrub the rocks when you see the problem taking a beating.

Thank you all again. You are incredible help to me and wonderful assets to this hobby.

CuC arrived today..... We shall see how they do at smashing some of the algae.

Petco is having its dollar per gallon sale starting the 30th so I'll be picking up two 40B's hopefully and starting to transition from this tank to a bigger one..

Mistakes on this tank keep piling up and making it super tough to deal with.

a) I have no quarantine/temporary tank to keep fish in. This will be rectified on the 30th.

B) I never chipped the rockwork to make it actually small enough to look nice in the BC14. Not only that, the rock creates huge dead spots in the tank as evidenced by watching the fish, how they swim, and where they stay

c) I'm simply not happy with the ecoxotic panorama modules. They are beautiful lights though it was a mistake on my part to think I could get good enough coverage to have an even light over the tank. Yes, I could pull the hood off and put the lights up higher but I'm truly just done with it.

All in all this tank has worked well for the lack of maintenance and mistakes made. The fish thrive and the corals do well as well. I will be dipping the rock before it moves into the 40B sometime in the next 5-6 months during that build and will be walking step by step through making sure these amateur mistakes dont happen again... Ohh!!! And a new tank build thread will be popping up and this one will be phased out.....

Yahh welcome to future 40B club! Since the panorama's are new, you can just sell them to fund the 40B :o

We shall see. My friend has been looking into panoramas so may just give them to him. :-D Yeah that'd be nice.

They have arrivedddddddddddddddd......

40B for display... 40B for sump..... Woot woot.. Now to slowly accumulate stuff.

Yay, bigger! How are you planning to move everything?

Wait for the 40 to cycle, dip all rocks from bc14 in peroxide solution and drop into 40, and pray all goes well I suppose. I may just pull the coral frags off the rocks since most of them arent actually grown out onto the surrounding rock.

Would love to haer your suggestions though if that sounds bad!

I plan on keeping the BC14 up until the 40 is complete which may be when we move into our new house in a year or two sadly. We shall see.. BUT, thats ok since it gives me time to think things through and not rush them.

post-45134-0-95941900-1372700279_thumb.jpg

post-45134-0-26217400-1372700281_thumb.jpg

If you don't like the shapes of your old rock, remove the coral and put them it your sump and add some dry rock or new live rock to your display. Most of your coral looked like it was on frag plugs which makes it easier.

Archived