Top Shelf Aquatics

BC14 revamp... New Pic in first post 12/13/13

notwithit

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
surgicalsense

Your running 3 Pros?

Pretty bright, you know. I have 1 Pro and 1 RBG Pro and this was per the advise of Ecoxotics. Just saying is all.

Your running 3 Pros?

Pretty bright, you know. I have 1 Pro and 1 RBG Pro and this was per the advise of Ecoxotics. Just saying is all.

Yeah I run 3 pros. I'll take a look at your build. Is it the NC24?

The coral and anemone have always loved the lighting. I'm just less than a fan of it. Man there are SOOO many pods on the glass.... Probably 5 per square inch. Updated FTS coming here shortly.

Well that was quite the "Shortly" ehh...

Heres a FTS so far.

FTS616

Changes so far:

1) Cleaned the sand bed a bit.

2) Pulled most of the macro off the return and threw it in the back chamber.

3) Dosed some calcium and Alk as those have been WAY off....

4) Added new ChemiPure Elite, Purigen, and Carbon. Water is a lot clearer.....

Now to see what ecoxotic says about the lighting since I'm about a week outside of their normal warranty.... On the plus side the wife says, "I suppose it'd be good if I learned more about fish so when you're gone on business I can take care of it." Then I said, "sure, lets build one together!" and she says, "Hmm... That'd be fun!"

omgomgomg omgomgomg

If they do replace the lights, I would agree that 3 is too many and advise getting a dimmer as this will also keep the replacements from getting too hot and burning out again and still provide plenty of light.

Tank is starting to look much cleaner, does the heater fit in the back chambers?

Am looking today into finding a shorter heater that will indeed fit behind in the back chambers. If my test kits are right, my Alk was around 6.. So buying new salinity tester, heater, and some new test kits today as mine might be old and then throwing parameters here afterwards. Anemone has decided to go behind a rock and face the back of the tank. Ohh well!

OHH!!!! Sorry, I forgot to mention they are on a manual dimmer!!

If they do replace the lights, I would agree that 3 is too many and advise getting a dimmer as this will also keep the replacements from getting too hot and burning out again and still provide plenty of light.

Tank is starting to look much cleaner, does the heater fit in the back chambers?

Super CatPig

Am looking today into finding a shorter heater that will indeed fit behind in the back chambers. If my test kits are right, my Alk was around 6.. So buying new salinity tester, heater, and some new test kits today as mine might be old and then throwing parameters here afterwards. Anemone has decided to go behind a rock and face the back of the tank. Ohh well!

OHH!!!! Sorry, I forgot to mention they are on a manual dimmer!!

Are you trying to keep from modding your biocube? If not I think your heater would fit in chamber one if you remove the false floor. Takes a little pushing and/or pulling but judging from the picture the heater would fit back there.

Nope. Just would have to rearrange and I'm ok with the heater out front for now. Other things to worry about first :-D Thank you for your input. I will be putting the heater in the back sometime in the next week or so.

Are you trying to keep from modding your biocube? If not I think your heater would fit in chamber one if you remove the false floor. Takes a little pushing and/or pulling but judging from the picture the heater would fit back there.

What lights do you suggest in replacement? I currently run

Front = magenta/blue

middle = blue/white

back = white

I like the idea of having three but will turn the intensity down on them. More of a get even light and turn them down.

In other news, the anemone is on the move... Doesn't seem to know where to go.

Do you all think that feeding the nem and making the clown go to the nem to eat would make the clown stay over in the nem more?

Nope. Just would have to rearrange and I'm ok with the heater out front for now. Other things to worry about first :-D Thank you for your input. I will be putting the heater in the back sometime in the next week or so.

What lights do you suggest in replacement? I currently run

Front = magenta/blue

middle = blue/white

back = white

I like the idea of having three but will turn the intensity down on them. More of a get even light and turn them down.

In other news, the anemone is on the move... Doesn't seem to know where to go.

Do you all think that feeding the nem and making the clown go to the nem to eat would make the clown stay over in the nem more?

I'd still run all 3 just not run them at 100% if they replace them for free. Any word on that? Otherwise there are retrofits or remove the top, make a screen top and run a par38. There is DIY but that takes more planning and tools.

I had put Panorama Pros in my old BC14 and they have almost completely burned out now. I'm now looking for other options that may involve removing the hood completely and hanging a pendant or finding something that will sit on the tank. An AI nano would be my first choice but the price tag is a little much considering my mom now has the tank and it's just a simple softies and macros set up now.

I'd still run all 3 just not run them at 100% if they replace them for free. Any word on that? Otherwise there are retrofits or remove the top, make a screen top and run a par38. There is DIY but that takes more planning and tools.

I suppose a good question would be color scheme... Or are you saying keep the colors i have already.

Guess that question is moot. Ecoxotic is sending out new modules! Woot!

"dances"

I suppose a good question would be color scheme... Or are you saying keep the colors i have already.

Guess that question is moot. Ecoxotic is sending out new modules! Woot!

"dances"

Glad to hear, I figured they might come through for you. My old 19w models were scalding hot but the 16w ones they replaced them with were barley warm to the touch (dimmed a bit though). So hopefully these new ones will last a long time.

I had put Panorama Pros in my old BC14 and they have almost completely burned out now. I'm now looking for other options that may involve removing the hood completely and hanging a pendant or finding something that will sit on the tank. An AI nano would be my first choice but the price tag is a little much considering my mom now has the tank and it's just a simple softies and macros set up now.

Time to email ecoxotic lol

Very good suggestions and thank you!

I picked up a peppermint shrimp and another zoa yesterday.

Also picked up some really nice test kits so that'll make life a bit easier with knowing for sure.. Calcium has always been up around 400 but am starting to move it up towards the 440-480 range..

Alk was a bit low and PH was 7.4 so dosing to bring those back up.

Also picked up an iodide test. Wouldn't you know it my normal water has none in it!! :-D so dosing that as well.

Oh nice, your softies will love it but be careful, it is easy to overdose and I don't want to come back here seeing a nuked tank :P

Oh nice, your softies will love it but be careful, it is easy to overdose and I don't want to come back here seeing a nuked tank :P

Slow and steady wins the race :-D

Very good suggestions and thank you!

I picked up a peppermint shrimp and another zoa yesterday.

Also picked up some really nice test kits so that'll make life a bit easier with knowing for sure.. Calcium has always been up around 400 but am starting to move it up towards the 440-480 range..

Alk was a bit low and PH was 7.4 so dosing to bring those back up.

Also picked up an iodide test. Wouldn't you know it my normal water has none in it!! :-D so dosing that as well.

I have never detected iodide in my water. The tests for it don't really work. I dose one to two drops per week in a 60-ish gallon system so definitely don't go crazy!

I have never detected iodide in my water. The tests for it don't really work. I dose one to two drops per week in a 60-ish gallon system so definitely don't go crazy!

Started dosing "Vibrance" by aquavitro at the suggested 1 ml for 25 gal so i do .5 ml for 12.5 gal and will do once a week I suppose.

Wonder why the kits suck.. Which do you have?

Do you have suggestions for something different?

I have also heard some of the kits test 0 when its not.. or test a lot lower than what it really is, something to with not testing for all forms of iodide. My memory is vague but I also read somewhere that it gets used up in our systems fast so it very well could be 0 I guess.

I used Lugals (very potent) on my 20g and took 1 drop a week diluted it with 2 drops of water and took 1 drop from the dilution. Never bothered testing even though its risky but I also dose vinigar/vodka. Really pushing my luck sometimes but I did notice my softies loved Lugals.

I'll check into lugals.

The test kit purchased yesterday is a set of seachem tests.

The iodide one allows you to increase the power of your iodide test until you get the blue and then divide it to know the real amount. Seems to be worthy though I will do more research on the test. The lugals, if it is that potent, may end up being a no go for me since I've a habit of being a bit clumsy and putting more than sposed to in things or dumping things in.....

Such as my Galaxy S3 yesterday while taking pictures of the leds for replacement.....

Such as my Galaxy S3 yesterday while taking pictures of the leds for replacement.....

Oh no! I am sorry to read that. That is an excellent phone. Did it survive the dunk?

I dumped my phone in a bucket of SW once. I must have been a Praying Mantis in a past life because I fished it out of the water almost as fast as it touched the surface.

Lucky for me I had it in a water resistant case. Still a little water managed to wick in. I pulled out the battery first thing and dried all the pieces, left it open for hours just in case any moisture seeped in while I was undoing the case. It works still today.

I can tell you I do not hold my phone over the water now without having a death grip on it!

LOL it has an otterbox so the whole back of the phone was dry.. Pulled the battery, threw it in rice, and waited overnight. Works perfectly!

And you are right.. Deathgrip ensues! I'll crack the phone with my grip before dropping it in the drink again.

Archived