Pod Your Reef

BC14 revamp... New Pic in first post 12/13/13

notwithit

Anemone committed suicide last night.... Didn't realize I had stocked my tank with a terrorist..

Wedged itself in the koralia nano and got ripped to shreds.

Water change timeeeeeeeeee!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
oldSWseamomma

OH nooooooooooo! Eeeuuuuwwww :o Sorry to hear that :( I will be starting up an Oceanic BC14 in August. I have an RSM130 but also got this BC14 so I love following your thread. The dimming lights are tempting. So far am going to keep it stock except that I am using StevieT's mediabasket, a new stronger Ehiem pump and a small heater in chamber 1.

Yay!!! Welcome to the BC14 club!

StevieT's media basket you can't beat! Also, the LED's have been a welcome addition to this tank.

Thanks for looking! Would love to see your RSM.

-Not

Tempted to upgrade my PC lights to a StevesLED retro fit kit. Hmmmmmmmmm. W-

The StevesLED or RapidLED retrofit works well as well. A friend upgraded his... JL Nano? to LED's from rapid and they have been beautiful. Make sure you cover them with some sort of acrylic or glass or some protection though.

If i may suggest, check out the Panorama Pro's by Ecoxotic.. Apparently the new ones don't have the heat issues. And their warranty/staff are incredible!

oldSWseamomma

Yay!!! Welcome to the BC14 club!

StevieT's media basket you can't beat! Also, the LED's have been a welcome addition to this tank.

Thanks for looking! Would love to see your RSM.

-Not

Thanks ! Yep I've been lurking and reading everyone's BC14 threads. I think it's a nice tank. I got it used from a friend and so it's a one-owner and in like new condition. I did leak test it already and then gave it a vinegar soak so it's ready to start "creating" with it. I'm going away the first weekend in August so I don't want to start it up until I get back. I was surprised at how quiet it is and although I only had the lights on for a couple hours to see how hot it would get it stayed really cool IMO. I like the posts from a few people that they don't experience much evaporation either. Here is a picture of it - ready to get wet !

BTW I won't show you my RSM :D but I do love that tank too - it's been awesome for me as although I have some experience in SW I'm not a plumber so these AIO's are great.

post-79867-0-08440300-1371656043_thumb.jpg

Thanks ! Yep I've been lurking and reading everyone's BC14 threads. I think it's a nice tank. I got it used from a friend and so it's a one-owner and in like new condition. I did leak test it already and then gave it a vinegar soak so it's ready to start "creating" with it. I'm going away the first weekend in August so I don't want to start it up until I get back. I was surprised at how quiet it is and although I only had the lights on for a couple hours to see how hot it would get it stayed really cool IMO. I like the posts from a few people that they don't experience much evaporation either. Here is a picture of it - ready to get wet !

BTW I won't show you my RSM :D but I do love that tank too - it's been awesome for me as although I have some experience in SW I'm not a plumber so these AIO's are great.

I'd love to see the RSM! The more the merrier!

The evaporation, you're right, seems to be a bit less than many other tanks. I do have to fill my tank about once every four days. Don't let the stock fans fool you, they can get SUPER loud. I retrofitted a 120mm silenx computer fan into my case. Such a difference!

Anemone committed suicide last night.... Didn't realize I had stocked my tank with a terrorist..

Wedged itself in the koralia nano and got ripped to shreds.

Water change timeeeeeeeeee!

Bubble Tip Anemones in AIO tanks are a disaster waiting to happen. I tried it and when it wasn't trying to get into the powerheads it was wedging itself through the flow slots and getting shredded in the back chambers. Stick to maxi minis or rock flowers if you must have a nem. And if you love the look of BTAs go buy some St. Thomas mushrooms. They look fairly similar when they get large.

Bubble Tip Anemones in AIO tanks are a disaster waiting to happen. I tried it and when it wasn't trying to get into the powerheads it was wedging itself through the flow slots and getting shredded in the back chambers. Stick to maxi minis or rock flowers if you must have a nem. And if you love the look of BTAs go buy some St. Thomas mushrooms. They look fairly similar when they get large.

No more nems in this tank.. Tis the rule. That thing went nuts... hid under a rock for a day and then went straight beeline for the powerhead.

oldSWseamomma

I'd love to see the RSM! The more the merrier!

The evaporation, you're right, seems to be a bit less than many other tanks. I do have to fill my tank about once every four days. Don't let the stock fans fool you, they can get SUPER loud. I retrofitted a 120mm silenx computer fan into my case. Such a difference!

Well here is my RSM - the lights had just come on so all fish and corals were rubbing their eyes and just waking up. Took this pic just after I had a slight bout with red cyano and (still crossing fingers) it's still gone. But I love this tank and hope to get a new 250 hopefully by the end of this year. I only have a couple of corals and some macroalgae - still cautious about any corals I get as I am a beginner in that dept.

The fans on the BC14 were so quiet :) The fans on the RSM were loud but I know they were more than 2 yrs old so I just replaced them and now they are super quiet. But the BC14's are super quiet - I suppose tho that won't last long. I was just going to replace lights and fans but after I cranked her up and saw how great they still performed I'll just wait until I have to. Did you take out the little strainer- thingies that were in the bottom of the compartments? I did but wanted to make sure it's okay before I fill 'er up. I'm going to go with StevieT's advice and get individual timers for the white lights and just leave the blue LED's on.

post-79867-0-30973100-1371665096_thumb.jpg

Well here is my RSM - the lights had just come on so all fish and corals were rubbing their eyes and just waking up. Took this pic just after I had a slight bout with red cyano and (still crossing fingers) it's still gone. But I love this tank and hope to get a new 250 hopefully by the end of this year. I only have a couple of corals and some macroalgae - still cautious about any corals I get as I am a beginner in that dept.

The fans on the BC14 were so quiet :) The fans on the RSM were loud but I know they were more than 2 yrs old so I just replaced them and now they are super quiet. But the BC14's are super quiet - I suppose tho that won't last long. I was just going to replace lights and fans but after I cranked her up and saw how great they still performed I'll just wait until I have to. Did you take out the little strainer- thingies that were in the bottom of the compartments? I did but wanted to make sure it's okay before I fill 'er up. I'm going to go with StevieT's advice and get individual timers for the white lights and just leave the blue LED's on.

I pulled everything I could out. Apparently missed one in the return chamber but yes, pulled everything out in the other two.

oldSWseamomma

I pulled everything I could out. Apparently missed one in the return chamber but yes, pulled everything out in the other two.

Thanks :) I'm really looking forward to building this BC14 tank and am pretty sure I'll just be putting one maybe two fish from my RSM in it. I want it to be mostly corals. Once I've conquered some of those I'll get braver and start putting more corals in the RSM.

Went to petco for giggles today... They wanted 50 bucks for a rock with 2 shrooms on it... and 8 dollars for a dead anemone rotting in the back corner..

Stood there another five seconds to watch a nearly dead clarkii being fed on by three other clarkii's.

"sigh" Guess it's no worse than me not dealing with my powerhead before the nem went in.

Have mostly decided that the biggest problem with my tank is that my rock is too big/creates too many dead water spots for detritus and various other things to be. That being said, there are two solutions.....

A ) Do the 40B I've wanted for a few years.

B ) Find someone to hang onto my corals/fish until I can redo my rockwork and recycle my tank.

Ohh.. And heres some definitely non professional coral pics...

Sun zoos

happy blasto

Fed coral

Or you can get a Rubbermaid bin and cycle new rock in it for a few weeks and then just switch out your whole scape. Just test every 2-3 days and keep up on water changes for two or three weeks afterwards. Or if you take out your rock, wrap it in a towel, and hit it with a hammer and then get the pieces back in the tank quickly you probably won't even see any effects.

Went to petco for giggles today... They wanted 50 bucks for a rock with 2 shrooms on it... and 8 dollars for a dead anemone rotting in the back corner..

Stood there another five seconds to watch a nearly dead clarkii being fed on by three other clarkii's.

"sigh" Guess it's no worse than me not dealing with my powerhead before the nem went in.

My petco here is horrible. What sucks most is they get some unique fish in only so they can die. I am heading out of town tomorrow to go coral shopping about 3 hours away from me and I guess there is a petco there that is one of the really good ones. They get their fish from very good venders and have a lot of different ones. It will be a shocker to see healthy fish and a frag tank in a petco.

My petco here is horrible. What sucks most is they get some unique fish in only so they can die. I am heading out of town tomorrow to go coral shopping about 3 hours away from me and I guess there is a petco there that is one of the really good ones. They get their fish from very good venders and have a lot of different ones. It will be a shocker to see healthy fish and a frag tank in a petco.

I felt like macklemore and lewis.. "man thats 50 dollars for a mushroom."

I felt like macklemore and lewis.. "man thats 50 dollars for a mushroom."

Ya, I checked out the petco today, they def had some good deals on fish but the corals were still way overpriced but everything looked healthy. Their nem's were about normal price. Not sure why they put such high price tags on the corals...

Ya, I checked out the petco today, they def had some good deals on fish but the corals were still way overpriced but everything looked healthy. Their nem's were about normal price. Not sure why they put such high price tags on the corals...

It's strange to see, "Mushroom rock 54.99" they also, though don't get to change prices like a normal pet store. What it is is set by corporate.

In other news.....

GHA!!!!!.........

It's strange to see, "Mushroom rock 54.99" they also, though don't get to change prices like a normal pet store. What it is is set by corporate.

In other news.....

GHA!!!!!.........

Can't they put stuff on sale? Mine had black ice clowns come in for like 160 bux each and they marked them down to 60 on sale then I even talked them down another 20 bucks. I guess they prob want fish out the door faster though.

Can't they put stuff on sale? Mine had black ice clowns come in for like 160 bux each and they marked them down to 60 on sale then I even talked them down another 20 bucks. I guess they prob want fish out the door faster though.

Could ask.... They had a "metallic green mushroom" rock that I could argue was 8 dollars according to their signs..

Ohh.... And I've been told a few times to start looking around for a bigger tank by the Mrs.

Too bad we have some other stuff to deal with first and maybe a baby coming in the next....... 9 or 10 months.

Ohh.... And I've been told a few times to start looking around for a bigger tank by the Mrs.

Too bad we have some other stuff to deal with first and maybe a baby coming in the next....... 9 or 10 months.

While I love having a bigger tank, filling it with corals is costly. I can't imagine the cost of filling a 6-8ft tank.

10 months? Sounds like you need to get busy ;)

While I love having a bigger tank, filling it with corals is costly. I can't imagine the cost of filling a 6-8ft tank.

10 months? Sounds like you need to get busy ;)

Dont you mean....... You must be getting busy!! ;-)

I'm not worried about filling the tank with coral. The tank would be up for 5+ years as long as life goes well so letting coral grow and stocking it is no prob... The one thing I haven't come to grips with yet though is the dosing.. SOOO MUCH dosing when the tank is bigger.

Archived