Top Shelf Aquatics

THE OFFICIAL TRIDACNID CLAM THREAD

ZephNYC

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

insane_zpsfd8489b0.jpg

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...Will let yall know when she arrives!!!

Well thats good it isnt bad, how long doesnt it take for them to learn?

Impossible to answer that....

There's no green on her at all in person, on camera or not.

Try taking a picture with a flash or 6,700K light.

What you see in the divers den pic is the metallic sheen / reflectiveness of the pigments. If you have more blue light over your tank, you won't ever get to see those colors. Pretty typical for Crocea clams.

Holy moly thats a purdy clam, how much that set you back?

Lets say it was more than a gumball, but less than a Farrari. LOLLLL...OK OKOKOK....i usually dont talk $$$ but she was VERY well priced @ $150.00

Lets say it was more than a gumball, but less than a Farrari. LOLLLL...OK OKOKOK....i usually dont talk $$$ but she was VERY well priced @ $150.00

Thats a great price, and such a good looking clam

^ Mine doesn't close all the way at night either.

Species of clam - Maxima
Lighting - 2 Rapid LED Onyx
Clam depth in the tank in inches - 18"
Do you skim? Yes
Do you run carbon? Yes
Do you run GFO? No
Did you ever freshwater dipped the clam ? No
Are you seeing new growth? Not Yet
Calcium/Alk Method? Water changes
Where and when did you get it? 1/2/14 as a gift
Do you purposely feed ? Yes, Photo plankton once a week

tank size - 75g 40g sump

Most importantly !!!!! Water changing schedule ???? 20% once a month

Got nitrates ??? Nevaaa

DSC_0087_2_zpsb9166d95.jpg

Nice colors!

Thats a great price, and such a good looking clam

:wub: I LOVE this clam. I also love Alyssa from PEA who showd it to me before it was even posted.

Ummm.... Hope they send you the right one!! :unsure:

I had a little snafu with my PEA order, but it's all good 'cause I'm happy with the wrong clam they sent me.

So how big is she for $150? She is gorgeous!
So how big is she for $150? She is gorgeous!
Only 2 inches. I like 3"+ much better, but I couldn't resist the color pattern.

Ummm.... Hope they send you the right one!! :unsure: I had a little snafu with my PEA order, but it's all good 'cause I'm happy with the wrong clam they sent me.
I read about your mix up. It will be very easy to tell if they send the wrong one this time. I'm sure that doesn't happen very often.

i found my clam had jumped off the rack i had and on to my sand bed and attached himself to the adjacent rock, question is do i let him stay there or do i remove him and put him back on the rack

Let him do his thing. You could damage his foot by trying to move him after he's attached.
Clams will move around until they find their happy place. :) W-

Let him do his thing. You could damage his foot by trying to move him after he's attached.

Clams will move around until they find their happy place. :) W-

find a happy place find a happy place find a happy place

i found my clam had jumped off the rack i had and on to my sand bed and attached himself to the adjacent rock, question is do i let him stay there or do i remove him and put him back on the rack

I agree with all the big brains above. Let it be..let it beeeee!!!! Its still getting strong light right?

The clam attached near my yuma coral, could there have been too much light?

The only way you can give a clam too much light it to sit it directly under a 400W, 10K halide. Anythng else is a piece of cake for a clam.

Hey all clam experts, - I have a RSM 130 with stock lighting. I know StevieT had a clam in his old RSM for a while under the stock lights. But if I added a Ecoxotic Panorama Pro 2.0 16W 12,000K/445nm Blue LED Module - do you think that would make a clam happier?

I've read that the derasa's require less light - would that be a good choice given my lighting limitations? Hope to be added to the registry one day.

Thanks

Anything I can look for if its not gettinf enough light

THis is a great question...Check out the other thread we were on about clams getting stung and look at the pictures of the wild clams there. Notice how they are not overly open, just open enough, for the most part. When clams are receiving all of their carbon/energy requirements, for maintanance and growth, and are receiving enough light, they dont stay W I D E open all day long. They dont have to, they just stay nice. WHen clams are not receiving enough light they often look their BEST, very open and looking awesome !! THis is because they are struggling to suck up every photon of light available.

Then they die. All to common situation.

Hey all clam experts, - I have a RSM 130 with stock lighting. I know StevieT had a clam in his old RSM for a while under the stock lights. But if I added a Ecoxotic Panorama Pro 2.0 16W 12,000K/445nm Blue LED Module - do you think that would make a clam happier?

I've read that the derasa's require less light - would that be a good choice given my lighting limitations? Hope to be added to the registry one day.

Thanks

Good move...try a Deresa first. They require the least light and are the most forgiving. If that lasts 6 months you might want to try a maxima. :)

Archived