Pod Your Reef

Jay's IM Nuvo 24

Jay Wee

Love the clowns!!! That black ice looks bada$$.

#### me! Black Ice Snowflake died this morning. :( It kept being bullied by the Black white clown. I noticed they were fighting hard and locking jaws. Unfortunately the black ice was smaller than him and got beat up real bad and suffered torn fins and eventually all that stress caved in and the little thing passed away this morning. Damn I wish it was they other way around. The black ice was quite expensive ($65). I went to my lfs and got a regular Snowflake that's a little bigger than the black white clown. They're getting along perfect. The mean one is now a little bitch following the Snowflake everywhere. What a wuss little shit.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad to hear about the Black Ice Snowflake, it had a really pretty pattern. I don't know a lot about clownfish, but I think the fighting is part of the pairing process. I've never been a fan of Black&White clowns myself, but hopefully he gets along better with the new Snowflake.

How's everything else in the tank? New FTS soon?

defender.TX

#### me! Black Ice Snowflake died this morning. :( It kept being bullied by the Black white clown. I noticed they were fighting hard and locking jaws. Unfortunately the black ice was smaller than him and got beat up real bad and suffered torn fins and eventually all that stress caved in and the little thing passed away this morning. Damn I wish it was they other way around. The black ice was quite expensive ($65). I went to my lfs and got a regular Snowflake that's a little bigger than the black white clown. They're getting along perfect. The mean one is now a little bitch following the Snowflake everywhere. What a wuss little shit.

This makes me a little worried since I'm planning on grabbing a clown pair soon.

This makes me a little worried since I'm planning on grabbing a clown pair soon.

Don't worry bud, I just got an asshole of a clown fish. And I picked from 2 different tanks in the LFS. If you can, pick a pair from the same tank you'll be fine.

I figured...well,... I've Paraglide off South Africa's Lions Head. I've bungee at Bibra Lake in Perth, Australia. I've Shark Cage Dive in Gansbaai, South Africa. The only thing I haven't done is add a bunch of corals to a newly setup tank. So I DID IT. Ben Stiller says "DO IT" and I did it.

So I did the most ultimate sin of all sins in the history of nano-reefing because I'm ridiculous like that. I live on the EDGE. I've added a bunch of LPS, Chalice, built a Zoa garden, AN ANEMONE!!!! and an SPS frag to a 1 month old tank.

FTS 06/17/13 (This is for you ZROGST)

post-79745-0-69581900-1371516143_thumb.jpeg

post-79745-0-71352700-1371516183_thumb.jpeg

post-79745-0-18109800-1371516192_thumb.jpeg

My LPS Garden.

post-79745-0-59246700-1371517177_thumb.jpg

My Little multi-colored Zoa Garden.

post-79745-0-45174700-1371517439_thumb.jpeg

Very first SPS, A Purple Nana frag. A Dragon Breath Macroalgae on the right.

post-79745-0-55704500-1371517564_thumb.jpeg

This RBT Anemone is huge. Probably 8" wide opened.

post-79745-0-20990200-1371517902_thumb.jpg

It chooses to attach itself in the weirdest little corner and fully extend over the rock. Well whatever makes her happy.

post-79745-0-69712500-1371518026_thumb.jpg

No idea what Chalice this is. Anyone?

post-79745-0-84411100-1371518372_thumb.jpeg

Purple Tip Frogspawn. The Anemone gets dangerously close sometimes. I might have to move this guy.

post-79745-0-07939200-1371518540_thumb.jpg

What's this hairy thing? I don't even know.

post-79745-0-68896300-1371518739_thumb.jpeg

Gold Tip Torch

post-79745-0-22390900-1371518937_thumb.jpeg

Green Tip Hammer

post-79745-0-11300200-1371519046_thumb.jpeg

Holy crap!!! You didn't just "do it," you did as f@&$ing big as you could!!! Water change, water change, water change.

I'm jealous...... That is all.

Oh, I think that's an alien eye chalice.

Holy crap!!! You didn't just "do it," you did as f@&$ing big as you could!!! Water change, water change, water change.

I'm jealous...... That is all.

Oh, I think that's an alien eye chalice.

I thought it might be a watermelon but I think you're right. It's probably an Alien Eye.

Haha yeah I'm super on top of my water changes. Also testing all my parameters twice a day just to be on the safe side. I stopped using the Petco packaged Catalina Real Ocean Water and recently got a 4+ Stage BRS RO/DI and Red Sea Coral Pro Salt to make my own SW. I'm telling you the RSCP salt works wonders. I replaced 5 gallon of the Catalina water from my tank with the new saltwater and BOOM within two hours my corals opened and extended fully. Zoas uber bloom for the first time and the Anemone came out and play.

Everyone will say "too fast!" but everyone's too fast with the first tank, so whatever :D I'm pumped - it looks awesome. 2nd on the aliens eye chalice, I'm getting a frag of one this sunday actually.

Love the torch - so hard. Def move the frogspawn away from the nem (might wait until the nem has "settled" though if he hasn't); Dragon's Breath is best looking macro, imho. Amaaaazing.

defender.TX

It's funny that we started our tanks about a week apart and you've come this far already. I just have a few snails, hah! Anyway, it's looking awesome - even if I wanted to go this fast I couldn't because my budget only really lets me buy a frag/fish every weekend.

Ha I wouldn't recommend anyone to do what I'm doing. I'm such an impulsive guy. You're such a lucky guy to win the Nuvo24. I say take your time and enjoy.

JayWee

Tank is looking good man love the RBTA wish I had the room to put one in my tank but it seems to be pretty full at the moment. And I'm like you super impatient I set the tank up ran it for 2 days with LR and in went the corals from teh 120. I just do 5 gallon water changes about 1-2 times a week for the 1st couple weeks and in that size tank will help keep all the levels down.

Hope to be getting a couple clowns and tailspot blenny or Midas Blenny to go with my 6 line.

What else are you putting in with your clowns?

JayWee

Tank is looking good man love the RBTA wish I had the room to put one in my tank but it seems to be pretty full at the moment. And I'm like you super impatient I set the tank up ran it for 2 days with LR and in went the corals from teh 120. I just do 5 gallon water changes about 1-2 times a week for the 1st couple weeks and in that size tank will help keep all the levels down.

Hope to be getting a couple clowns and tailspot blenny or Midas Blenny to go with my 6 line.

What else are you putting in with your clowns?

Thanks for the compliment! Ya that RBTA is outa control. haha. I've since moved it to a different spot and she's liking it better Less retractions and almost always opened. I started seeing my clown pair interacting with it. I'm also doing 5 gallon water changes 2 times a week. I'm trying to get my nitrates down. I've went from 30ppm to now 8ppm.

Besides the 2 clowns I also have a Algae Blenny (Love that thing, ate up all the algae in the tank.), and a blood Red Fire Shrimp. I'm gonna get a Fire Goby and a yellow watchman + Pistol shrimp pair.

Oh yah and also a Ocean White Tip Shark.

defender.TX

I'm trying to get my nitrates down. I've went from 30ppm to now 8ppm.

Throw some Chaeto in the larger of the rear sumps with a JBJ Nano-Glo on the back. I bet those Nitrates will go down quite a bit growing Chaeto.

• 2 weeks later...

Jay hows the tank coming? So I tested my phosphates last night and got .07 so I am considering adding a minimax reactor with GFO. Just curious though how is your skimmer doing I wonder if its worth putting a skimmer on this size tank and what the best skimmer would be. Ive seen good things about the Aquaticlife Mini Skimmer 115, Tunze 9002 and 9005, and of course the IM skimmer. Or just Go skimmerless???

defender.TX

Jay hows the tank coming? So I tested my phosphates last night and got .07 so I am considering adding a minimax reactor with GFO. Just curious though how is your skimmer doing I wonder if its worth putting a skimmer on this size tank and what the best skimmer would be. Ive seen good things about the Aquaticlife Mini Skimmer 115, Tunze 9002 and 9005, and of course the IM skimmer. Or just Go skimmerless???

I'm also curious to see how the Minimax reactor works for this tank and what kind of skimmate Jay's skimmer is pulling out. You might want to just try changing out the filter media first and see how that helps, the stock Innovative Marine filter media is pretty terrible. You can fit chemipure and purigen in the stock baskets.

I'm also curious to see how the Minimax reactor works for this tank and what kind of skimmate Jay's skimmer is pulling out. You might want to just try changing out the filter media first and see how that helps, the stock Innovative Marine filter media is pretty terrible. You can fit chemipure and purigen in the stock baskets.

Hey sorry guys been MIA. Busy setting up a Iwagumi style planted tank. It is sooo hard planting these carpet plants.

But my Nuvo saltwater tank is doing great. All corals are doing well and I've added a shitload more. I highly recommend the Minimax reactor with GFO. A lot of Nano reefers here only have good things to say about the Minimax. I have yet to get mine. But will do so next month. The IM Protein Skimmer works great too. But it takes awhile for it to kick in and stop with the microbubble bullcrap. Mine's been skimming out some real nasty stinky dark brown vomit-like substance. I'll try to get a picture on my collection cup tonight. I just dread opening that thing cuz it's so disgusting.

I would also recommend the Tunze 9002. Fits perfect. If you're planning to get the Tunze, buy it from InTank. Get the modified version that they offer with the Loose Magnet and upgraded Collection Cup.

Here. ON SALE!: http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Tunze-9002-Skimmer-LOOSE-MAGNET-9002LM.htm

Hey sorry guys been MIA. Busy setting up a Iwagumi style planted tank. It is sooo hard planting these carpet plants.

But my Nuvo saltwater tank is doing great. All corals are doing well and I've added a shitload more. I highly recommend the Minimax reactor with GFO. A lot of Nano reefers here only have good things to say about the Minimax. I have yet to get mine. But will do so next month. The IM Protein Skimmer works great too. But it takes awhile for it to kick in and stop with the microbubble bullcrap. Mine's been skimming out some real nasty stinky dark brown vomit-like substance. I'll try to get a picture on my collection cup tonight. I just dread opening that thing cuz it's so disgusting.

I would also recommend the Tunze 9002. Fits perfect. If you're planning to get the Tunze, buy it from InTank. Get the modified version that they offer with the Loose Magnet and upgraded Collection Cup.

Here. ON SALE!: http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Tunze-9002-Skimmer-LOOSE-MAGNET-9002LM.htm

How long did it take for your microbubbles to stop? My skimmer is going on 14 days, and while the bubbles have decreased, they're definitely still there.

I'm also thinking about trading the one IM stock media basket that I still have in my tank (InTank basket on the other side) for the MiniMax reactor. It only makes sense to add as many gadgets as possible, right?

defender.TX

I definitely think I'm going to try the MiniMax Reactor with GFO. I'm having a green film algae outbreak that hasn't gotten better with decreased light, so I'm pretty sure my Nitrates and Phosphates are just too high. I'm doing the simple things to reduce them first, like ordering Purigen and Chemipure for my stock filter boxes, but if I don't see improvement I'm definitely going to start running GFO soon.

Archived