Cultivated Reef

Jay's IM Nuvo 24

Jay Wee

Honestly I never even used my nuvo baskets. I've got two mini max reactors that I tumble my media in. Carbon and zeolites that's it. No sponge to clean up and build nitrates on. :)

No filter baskets??? Sorry this is very new to me that a tank can make do without filter sponges or floss. So all you have for filtration are 2 minimax reactors?

I've never heard of Zeolites before. Gotta do some research. What's your take on Bio Pellets? I'm thinking of dedicating a minimax to GAC + GFO mix and another minimax for Bio Pellets.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No filter baskets??? Sorry this is very new to me that a tank can make do without filter sponges or floss. So all you have for filtration are 2 minimax reactors?

I've never heard of Zeolites before. Gotta do some research. What's your take on Bio Pellets? I'm thinking of dedicating a minimax to GAC + GFO mix and another minimax for Bio Pellets.

zeolites are the media for a full zeovit system, it's pretty complex and expensive but the results don't lie. Check out nano topias thread, she has alot of info on it.

Filter pads pretty much allow you to get rid if floating particulates, you don't need them per say but they do polish the water very well.

I already am running it, but like I said, there's really nothing in my tank. some feather dusters, a snail now, 2 hh bivalves. other than that, nothing because of what happened a few weeks ago. I'm trying to figure out where to get filter floss and such. I've never even seen it x_x

I get mine off of intank, good price and it works well. It's probably the same stuff zro suggested.

I guess Tristan's Da Man!

Lol I wouldn't go that far.

Deleted User 4

:wub:

Aww how cute you two! :wub:

Tristan's setup is what I base my recommendations on (and what I purchased for my custom pico setup)

Aww how cute you two! :wub:

Red_Blenny

I wish my tank had a way to fit a sponge/filter floss to catch all the detritus (even though it can become a nitrate factory if it's not replaced/cleaned regularly) because I hate how most of it ends up on the bottom of the 1st or 2nd chamber and it's a pain to clean it up.

I'd just run GFO in the minimax since carbon and gfo exhausts at different rates. I'd do what Tristan says: floss, carbon, purigen and gfo in the reactor. I wouldn't do biopellets at the same time with gfo IMO

So should I cycle with minimax reactor or set it up after cycling?

I wish my tank had a way to fit a sponge/filter floss to catch all the detritus (even though it can become a nitrate factory if it's not replaced/cleaned regularly) because I hate how most of it ends up on the bottom of the 1st or 2nd chamber and it's a pain to clean it up.

I'd just run GFO in the minimax since carbon and gfo exhausts at different rates. I'd do what Tristan says: floss, carbon, purigen and gfo in the reactor. I wouldn't do biopellets at the same time with gfo IMO

Thanks for the advice. If I do get 2 reactors I'll run GFO in one... and carbon in the other one.

Red_Blenny

So should I cycle with minimax reactor or set it up after cycling?

Thanks for the advice. If I do get 2 reactors I'll run GFO in one... and carbon in the other one.

I'd run GFO during the cycle so I can lower those pesky phosphate so I won't have a huge algae/cyano bloom during the cycle...

Not too sure if phosphate is important during the bacteria cycle (maybe I'm wrong and someone can chime in?)

I stayed away from biopellets. Only from what I've read that most people have the best luck with them if it's started along with a new tank. Adding pellets to an already established tank is a head ache. Yea I always bug Christine (nanotopia) for help on ZEO stuff. :)

I don't see much detritus in my tank as most of it is "mulm" that the corals feed on as well as having a skimmer helps too. I also do my water change in the sump area. Helps keep things clean back there I guess. :)

I don't see much detritus in my tank as most of it is "mulm" that the corals feed on as well as having a skimmer helps too. I also do my water change in the sump area. Helps keep things clean back there I guess. :)

what exactly is mulm?

I would look at running GAC/GFO only. Either together or run separately ZEO is extremely expensive, and fairly complex system - you don't need the Zeolites either, you can run a hybrid system by dosing some products if you want to try it out without re-mortgaging.

I would stay away from Biopellets. They are interesting but the systems are still pretty new - and you have to run an oversized skimmer to get value out of it.

I would look at running GAC/GFO only. Either together or run separately ZEO is extremely expensive, and fairly complex system - you don't need the Zeolites either, you can run a hybrid system by dosing some products if you want to try it out without re-mortgaging.

I would stay away from Biopellets. They are interesting but the systems are still pretty new - and you have to run an oversized skimmer to get value out of it.

I will do that. I'll probably get 2 minimax reactors and run GAC & GFO seperately.

So should I run the reactors at the start of my cycle or should I wait till cycle is done?

I'd say run the reactors after the cycle, just let the tank do its thing while its cycling.

That what I thougt too. Just wanted to confirm. Thanks Guys!!! Any specific brand of GFO and GAC you guys vouch for? I see they're all priced differently. Some are more "premium" than others.

I got the Spin Stream rotating nozles for my Nuvo 24. Do you guys thing it's sufficient or do I need an additional pump? I'm thinking of the Vortech mp10. Would that be an overkill? Whats the difference between MP10 and MP10w?

MP10w just interfaces with a Radion or other Vortechs. If you're just using a single Vortech, save the money (like I did) and get the Mp10es (normal, non wireless version)

You wont regret buying an MP10 if you decide to get one, and it's certainly the most recommended powerhead. There are other options, but you will probably want additional flow in the tank (and the MP10 can be easily dialed down, and is a true wavemaker)

I got the Spin Stream rotating nozles for my Nuvo 24. Do you guys thing it's sufficient or do I need an additional pump? I'm thinking of the Vortech mp10. Would that be an overkill? Whats the difference between MP10 and MP10w?

i would add the mp10. i love it. the es and Wes having wireless capabilities to talk to another wireless mp10 or be controlled via apex unit connected to the wxm module.

MP10w just interfaces with a Radion or other Vortechs. If you're just using a single Vortech, save the money (like I did) and get the Mp10es (normal, non wireless version)

You wont regret buying an MP10 if you decide to get one, and it's certainly the most recommended powerhead. There are other options, but you will probably want additional flow in the tank (and the MP10 can be easily dialed down, and is a true wavemaker)

i would add the mp10. i love it. the es and Wes having wireless capabilities to talk to another wireless mp10 or be controlled via apex unit connected to the wxm module.

So it's this bugger right here.

http://www.aquacave.com/EcoTech-Marine-Vortech-MP10-ES-Propeller-Pump-P2821.aspx

Not this.

http://www.aquacave.com/EcoTech-Marine-Vortech-MP10W-ES-Propeller-Pump-P2822.aspx

Archived