SaltCritters.com

Jay's IM Nuvo 24

Jay Wee

HammerheadV13

Been following your tank for about a month now and I made the jump with an IM 24 & Maxspect Razor. I was curious to know the average size of your LR? I purchased some BRS reef saver rock and all the pieces sent are ridiculously big for the depth of this tank. Debating weather to break it up or return it and request smaller pieces.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool looking tank. I like the "unnatural" scape ... doesn't look so unnatural to me.

Thanks man. Unnatural because rocks don't arch, bridge or 3 tier steps like that. And that super odd looking mushroom style rock on the far left that is the platform for my scroll coral is quite oddly beautiful. glued 3 unique pieces to create that.

Been following your tank for about a month now and I made the jump with an IM 24 & Maxspect Razor. I was curious to know the average size of your LR? I purchased some BRS reef saver rock and all the pieces sent are ridiculously big for the depth of this tank. Debating weather to break it up or return it and request smaller pieces.

Congrats on the Nuvo24 and Max Razor. Great combi. You won't regret it. Go to the first page of my thread and see my FTS progress. From the start you'll notice I used large slabs of fiji live rocks that i purchased from Marine Depot to scape my tank. There wasn't a point of interest and it was just chunks of rocks pilling up on one another. There isn't much creative freedom with the rocks I got. Then I gradually stripped some away and redid my scape. But was still unhappy and eventually took everything out and chisel all of them into little pieces and glue them into the shapes I want.

The Nuvo24 is a shallow tank but the 36" width is where you can get creative. I say build 3 islands! 1 for SPS, 1 for LPS, and 1 for Anemones! Now that would be DOPE.

Beautiful tank, I don't know what I like better....tank or the stand.

Thanks man!!! I like my stand more than the tank. If I ever sell this tank I'll keep the stand for a 40" LCD.

Like the scape as well. That stretched look of the nuvo 24 is definitely something I'm missing with my 20 g cube.

To answer your question: I am still cyclin'. I used BRS reef saver rock but seeded with love rock rubble from a few lfs. Also used arag alive sand which I know is not real live sand. Waiting for diatoms!!

So got my razor nano. What percentages do you have your a and b channels at? Have you found a setting that gives you the best look? From the FTS it looks like you are mounting 9" over tank right? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I've played around with many settings and finally happy with the below setting. The tank is quite shallow so I wouldn't recommend blasting it full at 100%. I noticed when I did that my corals started bleaching a little bit.

9am A 0 B 0
12:30pm A 5 B 45
4pm A 40 B 60
6pm A 65 B 80
9pm A 25 B 70
11:30pm A 0 B 0

Need some opinion here. So I've finally ditched my API test kit and got Red Sea. Everything is super off. Not sure which one I should trust now. Basically everything is signoficantly higher on the Red Sea test kit. Damn it!

Cal: 470ppm

Alk: 12 dKH

Mag: 1480ppm

Nitrate: 8-10ppm

Phosphate: 0ppm

Cal, alk & mag seems to be slightly higher than the recommend. Should I even be remotely worried about that? I've been dosing bionic so I'm gonna stop for a few days and test again.

Nitrate was like 0.5ppm on API but 8-10ppm on Red Sea. I figured just to be on the safe side I did a 50% water change. Will probably change out my purigen and chemi-pure tomr. They're looking kinda nasty.

Need some opinion here. So I've finally ditched my API test kit and got Red Sea. Everything is super off. Not sure which one I should trust now. Basically everything is signoficantly higher on the Red Sea test kit. Damn it!

Cal: 470ppm

Alk: 12 dKH

Mag: 1480ppm

Nitrate: 8-10ppm

Phosphate: 0ppm

Cal, alk & mag seems to be slightly higher than the recommend. Should I even be remotely worried about that? I've been dosing bionic so I'm gonna stop for a few days and test again.

Nitrate was like 0.5ppm on API but 8-10ppm on Red Sea. I figured just to be on the safe side I did a 50% water change. Will probably change out my purigen and chemi-pure tomr. They're looking kinda nasty.

Jay, your back! No need to worry to much about the increased parameters. A 50% water change will significantly reduce the nitrate. Changing out the old media and any sponge filters you have is also a good idea. How do your SPS look? Any change of color? Any additional algae growth?

In my opinion I think your good. Test again tomorrow and see if there might have been an error or that the water change and new media have reduced certain numbers. Will be watching and following the results. Chat with you soon.

Thanks egginis, yes I will keep testing. Need to get used to this red sea test kit. With API everything is 5ml in the tube and you just drop and shake like no tomorrow. There's so many steps on Red Sea, so complicated.

One important question for red sea test kit users. This is for both tank water large syringe and skinny test solution syringe. When you pull the solution into you syringe, do you read it right is the bottom, middle, or top of the black marker? Or do u just mark it with the water level. I find that every pull is inconsistent with the water level.

• 2 weeks later...

Need some help here guys.

I've been experiencing something really odd with my 24g nano recently. I would get hit with diatom all over my sand bed and rocks and within a matter of hours it would totally clear up. This has been happening quite often the pass two weeks. Like really clear up even from the rocks. And it will hit again and clear up again. Is that even possible? Been trying to google this but can't seem to find any results. What you guys think?

Water parameters are good except for nitrates constantly at 8ppm. Corals are all healthy but do close up significant'y at night but open fully in the day.

Some images might help.

This was taken at 10am. Nothing unusual. Sand is clean. (I mix black and white sand). Rocks are clean.

c0f158f8-b711-4980-a62c-a79e92fb27aa_zps

Taken at 3pm. BOOMSHAKALAKA. This brown layer of something (Diatom?) will suddenly hit and cover the sandbed and rocks.

a18ba98b-50cb-4898-b051-fa05c63cdea9_zps

cd025de5-ab92-4b20-8ac8-4a1cae02a8eb_zps

This is taken at 8pm. Significantly clear up. And at about 9pm it will be totally cleared like the first picture.

5e964d43-d595-4bf8-a77f-4e1a38e8d448_zps

So this whole ordeal will happen in the course 12 hours. And then repeat itself everyday. When I was cycling I had diatom hit on the 3rd week and totally cleared in 5 days with the help of CUC. And since then I've never had a diatom outbreak. Untill now. Super odd.

YES!!! Got my InTank media and fuge basket. THANKS STEVIE T. Super fast shipping!

image-3_zps3866dc21.jpeg

Clearly step 1 is to eat the swedish fish and then set up the basket. Can I get more swedish fish in future orders? :)

image-4_zps23effbe1.jpeg

Swopping my media from the stock basket to the InTank basket. InTank basket is solid build. The door slides super smoothly. Significantly larger than the stock. I really like the elevation at the bottom. That ensures constant water flow and nothing gets trapped underneath.

image-6_zps162fbdeb.jpeg

...like a glove...

image-7_zps4191d6e3.jpeg

I only got a tiny clump of chaeto to start with. I heard these things grow super quick so we'll see how it multiply. Or do you guys suggest I go buy more chaeto?

image-8_zps23a99770.jpeg

Grow little one.

image-9_zpsd858b1c4.jpeg

Proud InTank supporter.

image-5_zpsf7df7c18.jpeg

Nice setup! I've been thinking about getting an InTank basket as well, but I just can't seem to justify spending $70 on it. Maybe you can persuade me. Is there a strong, notable difference?

Does the media basket do a good job forcing water down it? The one for my Nuvo4 has a flat top edges and half the water spills over the side.

Nice setup! I've been thinking about getting an InTank basket as well, but I just can't seem to justify spending $70 on it. Maybe you can persuade me. Is there a strong, notable difference?

Thanks! I just saw your build thread. Great tank and you have some awesome corals. I'm following. BTW, what frag shelf are you using. Need to get me one of those.

Here's 2 facts.

1) InTank baskets are really well build. The acrylic is thick so you know that these baskets are here to stay. And the signature laser cut green platform really helps with the water flow. And the media is easily accessible with the smooth sliding door.

2) InTank baskets are significantly larger than most stock baskets. I believe its a lot larger than the JBJ 30 stock basket. So you know you're maximizing the space you have back there. You'll be able to fit all that floss, pads, purigen and Chemi-pure. I've also seen people putting chaeto in one of the chambers.

I think it's worth the price for a significant upgrade. :)

Does the media basket do a good job forcing water down it? The one for my Nuvo4 has a flat top edges and half the water spills over the side.

I have a feeling the InTank basket will solve that issue. The signature laser cut green divider platforms really aid in water flow. I also notice the IM stock basket's divider get's easily blocked by my bag of chemi-pure. And also the elevation at the bottom will really help with water flow too.

In response to your earlier question, have you checked your water for silicates? Also check for po4.

Thanks you for responding. Tristan always here to the rescue! Good question! po4 is zero But then again I only have the API phosphate test kit. Gonna borrow someone else's Red Sea to double confirm. I don't have a kit to test for Silicates. Will probably have to get one too. I make my own RO/DI water with the BRS 5 stage. Never thought I would have a silicates problem. Damn it! SO many things to test for, haha.

Thanks egginis, yes I will keep testing. Need to get used to this red sea test kit. With API everything is 5ml in the tube and you just drop and shake like no tomorrow. There's so many steps on Red Sea, so complicated.

One important question for red sea test kit users. This is for both tank water large syringe and skinny test solution syringe. When you pull the solution into you syringe, do you read it right is the bottom, middle, or top of the black marker? Or do u just mark it with the water level. I find that every pull is inconsistent with the water level.

I read where the plunger meets the black line.

A silicate test is not necessary. Just make sure the water your getting is clean... RODI system would make your life more useful.

I read where the plunger meets the black line.

A silicate test is not necessary. Just make sure the water your getting is clean... RODI system would make your life more useful.

Thanks buddy! yeah I do use a BRS RODI 5 stage system. TDS meter reads 0 on every output. Maybe this diatom thing is just a passing phase.

Yup, it's defintly a phase... maybe the rocks are finally leaching out the silicates/phosphates?

I believe GFO can take up silicates but some people recommend that you just leave it alone so the diatoms can absorb all the silicates in the water (just make sure the diatoms don't smother your corals).

In response to your earlier question, have you checked your water for silicates? Also check for po4.

This was my thought as well

Yup, it's defintly a phase... maybe the rocks are finally leaching out the silicates/phosphates?

I believe GFO can take up silicates but some people recommend that you just leave it alone so the diatoms can absorb all the silicates in the water (just make sure the diatoms don't smother your corals).

Cool. Thanks for the tip. Come to think of it... everything started happening after I added more rocks to rescape my tank. I'll just let it ride out and be on top of weekly water changes.

Archived