Pod Your Reef

Jay's IM Nuvo 24

Jay Wee

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good evening Jay, sorry for the late reply concerning your stung pink Stylo coral. Sorry to hear about it. Good news is, as long as there is no infection and no further damage is done, the stung pink Stylo should regenerate itself. Healing of stung corals in my experience is rather quick. I would try to remove any tissue from the Galaxia that is on the Stylo carefully as the Galaxia tissue could still be burning the Stylo.

The Galaxia is a very aggressive coral that will release its digestive organs onto other corals that are competing for space. The neon green spots that are now turning brown are Galaxia filaments that are used to deteriorate the nearby pink stylo. Try and keep crabs and shrimp away from the Stylo as they may pick at the damaged tissue and cause infection.

I know this may be difficult to read, but you may need to remove the Galaxia from your tank. I owned one in my 220 gallon reef and witnessed this monster burn several nearby corals with extending tentacles of 6 to 8 inches in length. That is a pretty far reach in a nano aquarium. Your aquarium flow will also determine the length and reach of these Galaxia tentacles. Its a beautiful coral to look at with its bright neon green coloration but it is way to aggressive for a Nuvo 24 gallon tank. Just my take of course.

Keep an eye on it!

Lol. Yea i saw ahreum post up some pictures. How big do you want to go. I know a local builder who makes sick tanks. Hve you met dace yet from ny? He has one built by the local builder. Amazing quality.

Good evening Jay, sorry for the late reply concerning your stung pink Stylo coral. Sorry to hear about it. Good news is, as long as there is no infection and no further damage is done, the stung pink Stylo should regenerate itself. Healing of stung corals in my experience is rather quick. I would try to remove any tissue from the Galaxia that is on the Stylo carefully as the Galaxia tissue could still be burning the Stylo.

The Galaxia is a very aggressive coral that will release its digestive organs onto other corals that are competing for space. The neon green spots that are now turning brown are Galaxia filaments that are used to deteriorate the nearby pink stylo. Try and keep crabs and shrimp away from the Stylo as they may pick at the damaged tissue and cause infection.

I know this may be difficult to read, but you may need to remove the Galaxia from your tank. I owned one in my 220 gallon reef and witnessed this monster burn several nearby corals with extending tentacles of 6 to 8 inches in length. That is a pretty far reach in a nano aquarium. Your aquarium flow will also determine the length and reach of these Galaxia tentacles. Its a beautiful coral to look at with its bright neon green coloration but it is way to aggressive for a Nuvo 24 gallon tank. Just my take of course.

Keep an eye on it!

I know. It's actually my fav coral but it's sucha bitch. I'm gonna have to sell this beast.

Lol. Yea i saw ahreum post up some pictures. How big do you want to go. I know a local builder who makes sick tanks. Hve you met dace yet from ny? He has one built by the local builder. Amazing quality.

I was thinking of a red sea max 500 or Elos 160. But I have to probably hire an engineer to come see if I can put such a heavy tank in my 3rd floor apartment.

No I haven't met dace, but I would love to hear more about this local builder. I want something super wide but slim on the width.

Jay, you could always move the Galaxia to the new larger aquarium you are planning :) Sounds like a plan to me.

defender.TX

I was thinking of a red sea max 500 or Elos 160. But I have to probably hire an engineer to come see if I can put such a heavy tank in my 3rd floor apartment.

My LFS has a Red Sea Max 500 as their main display tank. It's absolutely stunning. My only complaint is they kept all of the T5s 10K light spectrum so it doesn't look very colorful. I never really noticed the corals because of the lighting, then one day the people from buildmyled.com were doing a photo shoot with the reef with 3 of their super actinic lights on top - holy crap it looked like a rainbow there was so much color!

definitely get rid of the galaxia if you don't you will regret it down the road those things have huge tentacles and will stings and kills things in your tank. They are way to aggressive of a coral for a 24 gallon tank.

How is the tank coming? Did you manage to remove the Galaxia? I broke down my Nuvo 16 yesterday and transferred to the Nuvo 24. All fish and corals look great but the skimmer is pushing out massive micro bubbles again and the tank looks like **** with them in it. Guess I need to wait another 3 weeks for the IO skimmer to break in again.

Jay, do you have any recommendations for other nano skimmers? Anyone have any recommendations?

I finally sold the Galaxia!!! I miss it though. My fav coral. Was planning to keep it and put it in the new tank I'm gonna purchase. But my pink stylo is stung to death. It turned fully white now with burnt bits. So I took everyone's advice and sold it.

How is the tank coming? Did you manage to remove the Galaxia? I broke down my Nuvo 16 yesterday and transferred to the Nuvo 24. All fish and corals look great but the skimmer is pushing out massive micro bubbles again and the tank looks like **** with them in it. Guess I need to wait another 3 weeks for the IO skimmer to break in again. Jay, do you have any recommendations for other nano skimmers? Anyone have any recommendations?

Oh man, you should have bought the Tunze 9002 from intank with the intank collection cup upgrade. Heard that thing is amazing. If my IM skimmer ever breaks down, I will get the Tunze. But my skimmer's been doing great so I'll just keep it for now.

I finally sold the Galaxia!!! I miss it though. My fav coral. Was planning to keep it and put it in the new tank I'm gonna purchase. But my pink stylo is stung to death. It turned fully white now with burnt bits. So I took everyone's advice and sold it.

Oh man, you should have bought the Tunze 9002 from intank with the intank collection cup upgrade. Heard that thing is amazing. If my IM skimmer ever breaks down, I will get the Tunze. But my skimmer's been doing great so I'll just keep it for now.

I'm looking into the Tunze 9002 for my nuvo 24, do you know if any mods are needed? like getting the loose magnet version intank sells?

From all the research and posts from members like Jay, the magnet version with the modified collection cup is the way to go. This will insure that the skimmer will fit the aquarium. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info Jay.

I'm looking into the Tunze 9002 for my nuvo 24, do you know if any mods are needed? like getting the loose magnet version intank sells?

Ya Egginis is right. U want to get the loose magnet version for easy adjustment. There's not a lot of space in the nuvo sump chambers so the magnet really comes in handy. And also get the modified collection cup for sure.

Hey jay..how's the tank coming along? The tunze 9002 I have heard good things about. There is a very detailed you tube video on modding it. I had plans on getting an IM 24 but got a good deal on an Elos system mini, I'm 10 days into the cycle and getting bored..come on bacteria!!..my nano razor arrives Tuesday!! I actually plan on eventually getting a tunze 9002 as it fits into one of the smaller sump compartments.

Don't forget the intank collection cup for the 9002! It really helps to move it up and down the chamber, so u can get the water level just right. Airline mod helps out a lot too.

Btw, we want more pics jay!!!

Hey jay..how's the tank coming along? The tunze 9002 I have heard good things about. There is a very detailed you tube video on modding it. I had plans on getting an IM 24 but got a good deal on an Elos system mini, I'm 10 days into the cycle and getting bored..come on bacteria!!..my nano razor arrives Tuesday!! I actually plan on eventually getting a tunze 9002 as it fits into one of the smaller sump compartments.

+1 On getting the Tunze 9002.

and + 100 on the Elos system mini. That's a great tank. I'm waiting for a used Elos 160 and I'm gonna take the plunge into one of these big boys.

I know, C'mon damn bacteria!!! The waiting process is well worth it. You're using Live Rock? What about sand?

Don't forget the intank collection cup for the 9002! It really helps to move it up and down the chamber, so u can get the water level just right. Airline mod helps out a lot too.

Btw, we want more pics jay!!!

Oh yah. Just you wait. I did the craziest thing. I took everything outa my tank and broke all my rocks to smaller pieces and rescapped my whole tank. BTW I HATE EPOXY STICKS!!! It is so hard to use, so messy, stink like shit and it doesn't work. I end up just ic glueing a lot of rocks together. Anyways I was going for an unnatural concept and I think I managed to pull it off. Really unnatural. I will try and post some pics tonight.

defender.TX

Oh yah. Just you wait. I did the craziest thing. I took everything outa my tank and broke all my rocks to smaller pieces and rescapped my whole tank. BTW I HATE EPOXY STICKS!!! It is so hard to use, so messy, stink like shit and it doesn't work. I end up just ic glueing a lot of rocks together. Anyways I was going for an unnatural concept and I think I managed to pull it off. Really unnatural. I will try and post some pics tonight.

You should check out the extra thick gel reef glue that Bulk Reef Supply sells. It's cheap, cures fast, cures porous surfaces because it's a gel, and once it cures - holy hell it's going to take an atom bomb to get my rocks apart. On the downside I also have to tear down my tank since I'm going to be moving. Can't wait to see the new scape!

You should check out the extra thick gel reef glue that Bulk Reef Supply sells. It's cheap, cures fast, cures porous surfaces because it's a gel, and once it cures - holy hell it's going to take an atom bomb to get my rocks apart. On the downside I also have to tear down my tank since I'm going to be moving. Can't wait to see the new scape!

Thanks for the recco on the reef glue. I just placed an order. Man it's so stressful tearing down the tank. You gonna keep your existing scape or you gonna try something new? I do like the way you have it now. I re-did my scape last night and a lot of my corals are not fully open so I'm gonna wait till tonight to get some pics!

Broke down my Nuvo 16 last week and moved everything to the Nuvo 24 in just 2 hours. Fortunately all the corals were fully open after an hour but the fish took a day to get use to the new rockwork and find there new homes. Can't wait to see pics of the new configuration Jay.

Broke down my Nuvo 16 last week and moved everything to the Nuvo 24 in just 2 hours. Fortunately all the corals were fully open after an hour but the fish took a day to get use to the new rockwork and find there new homes. Can't wait to see pics of the new configuration Jay.

Hurry up and start your nuvo 24 thread!

Ok, will do Jay, I am trying to get my feet wet since I only joined a week ago. May need a little guidance along the way.

I like the multiple rock levels. Will look awsome when all the Sps grow larger. I guess the max razor is strong enough lighting for these corals. Been thinking of upgrading to this light fixture or the Radion Pro. Did you add any additional power heads for flow or just the stock Nuvo 24 with the spin streams? Sorry if I missed this in an earlier part of the thread.

Aquarium looks great and I like your choice of corals. If I upgrade the light, I might just try sps myself. Are you happy with the max razor?

I like the multiple rock levels. Will look awsome when all the Sps grow larger. I guess the max razor is strong enough lighting for these corals. Been thinking of upgrading to this light fixture or the Radion Pro. Did you add any additional power heads for flow or just the stock Nuvo 24 with the spin streams? Sorry if I missed this in an earlier part of the thread. Aquarium looks great and I like your choice of corals. If I upgrade the light, I might just try sps myself. Are you happy with the max razor?

Max Razor or the Radion pro are both great option. Can't go wrong either way. I choose the razor because of it's slim profile. I want something non-intrusive and I bascally don't wanna see my light and the maxspect does that cuz it's so slim.

I do have an MP10 on the far left. It gives really good flow throughout the tank. Sometimes too much that it stirs up the sandbed. Just make sure not to set it to max. And the spin stream is great for surface agitation.

Archived