Coral Vue Hydros

ZeoZEN 80g Shallow Rimless

fretfreak13

Cartoons are animated. Anime = animation. If all cartoons are animated, and all anime is animation, then all anime are cartoons. Again, I'm just sayin'.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Angel<3Nanos

Cartoons are animated. Anime = animation. If all cartoons are animated, and all anime is animation, then all anime are cartoons. Again, I'm just sayin'.

I was joking man, get it? Just like calling a reef a fish tank. We know the correct term is reef, but since it contains a fish it could also be called a fish tank. Just saying man. Lol people who love anime would like for other people to refer it to anime not cartoons, gives it more character. :)

All I do is joke. It's my thing. I just do it better than many can comprehend, so my brilliance is relegated to "a rant." You never know, it could be happening right now. So far as character building is concerned, I think your cartoons have it covered. "Big hair no coochie coochie jutsu." Haha, I think I'm really funny any way. Seriously though, I'm enjoying the build fret. I read the whole thread when I stumbled across all the Whapanese and figured I'd throw in my less than edjumacated opinion of the subject.

Angel<3Nanos

All I do is joke. It's my thing. I just do it better than many can comprehend, so my brilliance is relegated to "a rant." You never know, it could be happening right now. So far as character building is concerned, I think your cartoons have it covered. "Big hair no coochie coochie jutsu." Haha, I think I'm really funny any way. Seriously though, I'm enjoying the build fret. I read the whole thread when I stumbled across all the Whapanese and figured I'd throw in my less than edjumacated opinion of the subject.

Oh ok lol

BattleAthletics

"Noodle no mitsubishi"

All hes saying is that he doesnt want your fucen noodle eating ass in his mitsubishi.

I guess if you cant baffle them with brilliance then dazzle them with bullshit.

fretfreak13

Power went out. Came back to this. All I can say is thank you. <3 LOL

Ben, I will be doing some research on what you said soon, but right now 'tis bed time. =)

Paleoreef103

CRI means color rendering index, basically it's how closely a light source is able to render colors. Under 70 is very poor (most Chinese LEDs are in that category), and anything 80 or higher is getting very close to accurate colors. The LEDs used in pretty much every available fixture on the market use cool white LEDs, which have a CRI from 60-75ish, usually around 70. Neutral white LEDs, which should be used in all cases over a reef tank, have a CRI of 80-90, and produce excellent coloration.

Unfortunately for reefers, CREE is the big name in LEDs as far as reef lighting goes (though they are not considered the best in the industry, nor the most efficient, nor most cost effective), and while Cree does make some higher-CRI white LEDs, good luck finding them, as they are in a very expensive bin (binning is where they sort the 'good' LEDs from the 'not so good' LEDs as far as color and output, and price accordingly). Even their neutral white LEDs that you can purchase singly from nearly any 'reef LED lighting' shop are around 70-75, and I wouldn't be surprised if those used in the Radion are less than 70.

This is why I'm thinking about adding four Rebel 2.7K 95CRI warm whites to my fixture.

jedimasterben

Warm white are pretty touchy to get any other color than yellow out of how the light looks. Stick to the 4000K neutral white, use two of those, four royal blue, and one cool blue. That ratio will yield the high color rendition of Philips' 4000K phosphors but the light will be around 12Kish with all at the same drive current.

I see you have neutral white XP-G over your tank currently. What I really do not like about Cree is that their high-CRI neutral white LEDs are not readily available. You'll notice that from most every place that sells them that they do not list the CRI at all...

jedimasterben

Nope, just lots of research. I do have some experience with electronics, so that does help a bit, but most of the stuff with LEDs was 100% new to me. I've got a couple hundred hours of research, comparison, and testing under my belt so far.

Ok...I don't want to start an argument and im just going to state that as someone who used to sell Cree and Phillips LEDs(just a couple) I will respectively disagree with your statement that Phillips are better than Cree. This comes from my rough understanding of the LEDs and the help of a couple of electrical engineers that I used to work for. By working in the active and passive electronic components sector I can say that Crees are best for our tanks even though personally I am not ready to jump on the LED bandwagon until they make marketed improvements and the peak becomes a plateau. The biggest issue IMO is not the CRI but the actual spectral range of LEDs. I respect your hours of research and your opinions and do not wa t to take anything away from that.

jedimasterben

Go on. I'd like to know how the spectral range of one is superior, yet CRI doesn't matter (as CRI would be a function of spectral range).

Technically speaking, CRI will never really matter to us, as its rating system could not be the same for our lights that are so heavy in blue - some of the best halides for color in corals have a CRI of around 50-60, so you'd think that it wouldn't matter if I used a 60-70 CRI white LED as the base, yet it does. It makes a difference in what we are able to see, I can absolutely promise you that, and when it comes to having corals of every color, you want to be able to see all of those colors.

I'm not saying that a Cree LED cannot look as good as a Philips or Bridgelux (real Bridgelux, not the fake stuff found on ebay and in cheap LED fixtures), but finding an 80-85 CRI neutral white in the 4000K range to match what is readily available from Philips and Bridgelux is a pain the ass, and will likely cost you out the ass, as well, since you are selecting a lower-yield bin, leaving almost no reason to choose Cree.

LEDs are, and IMO will always be, unfortunately, narrow-peaked in their spectra. There will be new technologies in the future that will change that, but I don't see it being LED. (I could be wrong on that, we'll see what time and possibly new phosphor tech has to offer us :) )

I'm only 6 days late to the anime discussion and I don't know adam from manga. But I dressed as an anime for halloween. Does that count? I ordered anime contact lenses, they're basically designed to make your corneas and pupils look huge, giving you a big eyed look. I did a couple of youtube tutorials to get the anime make up look. I couldn't do a stupid costume so I threw some of my own clothing together and called myself a hot mess.

marie.gif

fretfreak13

Haha Kat thats awesome. Did you go try to go as anyone in particular, or just copy the style? lol Making eyes can be really cool, like so...

cosplay_eyes_make_up_collection_by_molly

Or it can be horrifying, like so...

tumblr_m1ly14Xkpa1qjlna8o1_1280.jpg

Or it can be just...plain creepy. Like these two..

8foQKAqR-Lk.jpg

Back to tank talk though. I started filling that sucker! Got ten gallons in and noticed that even though I DID use a level, it was still UNlevel... =( Apparently the level in my house is ancient and very off balance, which my step dad confirmed later with a "Duh I thought you knew that". Gotta figure out how to fix that until I go further with it. Its like problem after problem with this thing lol

But, took some time to fix my hot mess of a pico. I did a major overhaul of a cleaning, took out everything, pruned the caulerpa, cleaned the sand a bit, and rearranged it all. To my happy surprise, Judith made her new burrow SMACK dab in the front center of the tank! YES! =)

Massive waterchange.
20ed.jpg

Judith very confused.

2h6.jpg

Happy again!
wpk8.jpg

Ok ill try to explain it best of my ability based off the input I've been given Jedi....LEDs with an extremely high CRI will have a more narrow sepctral range, now that doesn't mean it is better to have lower or higher CRI it means that the spectral range graphs have more to do with photosynthesis than color rendition. The company that is actually more broad spectrum for an LED than Cree is Everlight; however the intensity/reach (depth the light can reach) is great for growing non-aquatic plant life but not for corals. What you are referring to is how the corals look to us versus the benefits of that lighting for the coral which is the reason for that coral having a pastel appearance when its moved from LED to Halide...this is not alwayd the case but most time unless its been engineered correctly it is the case. When I was looking at LEDs we were trying to match the spectoral graphs of a 20k radium bulb and still have the intensity required to penetrate a 18" or deeper tank.

jedimasterben

LEDs with an extremely high CRI will have a more narrow sepctral range,

Uh, no, they don't.

NichiaLED-CRI-Info.jpg

Blue line is low CRI, green line is high CRI. Looks like a wider spectral coverage to me.

now that doesn't mean it is better to have lower or higher CRI it means that the spectral range graphs have more to do with photosynthesis than color rendition.

We are not talking about photosynthesis, we are talking about color. If you want photosynthesis, you need 428nm, 452nm, 475nm, 630nm, and 660nm (see one of the links in my signature for more information on what wavelengths corals use for photosynthesis). If you want color, you need to fill in the gaps.

There are no white LEDs out there that were made with photosynthesis in mind. Zero. White LEDs are made to light parking lots and big stores, not reef tanks full of ultra-colorful coral, so we have to make do with what we have.

The company that is actually more broad spectrum for an LED than Cree is Everlight; however the intensity/reach (depth the light can reach) is great for growing non-aquatic plant life but not for corals.

Intensity does not differ between the two, and does not differ between air and water, with water actually having slightly better light attenuation due to refraction. Intensity can be even higher with surface agitation, which has a magnification effect, and can lead to 25% more intensity.

What you are referring to is how the corals look to us versus the benefits of that lighting for the coral

Again, no white LEDs were made to grow coral, or plants. Zero. The fact that royal blue LEDs are mass-produced AND useful to corals is basically a miracle.

which is the reason for that coral having a pastel appearance when its moved from LED to Halide...this is not alwayd the case but most time unless its been engineered correctly it is the case.

Corals become more 'pastel' when they have expelled zooxanthellae which can be caused by a sudden increase in lighting or the presence of an extremely different spectral signature, as corals only keep zooxanthellae that are useful to them and can absorb the light they are getting.

When I was looking at LEDs we were trying to match the spectoral graphs of a 20k radium bulb and still have the intensity required to penetrate a 18" or deeper tank.

You will have a 100% failure rate in matching the peaks and valleys of any halide bulb with LEDs. Good thing for us, our eyes suck knobs at doing what they are made to do, to see, and can be tricked into thinking two colors are the same when they actually have extremely different spectral signatures. I can take five LEDs (one 4000k Bridgelux BXRA 1350-B and four royal blue Luxeon M) and make them look identical to the light a Radium puts out, use 65w of power, and give over 600 PAR at 24" depth - I've done it before, it is super simple. Getting a coral to reflect a certain color that it is not receiving is an entirely different story, and is indeed what I was talking about above.

Maybe that conversation can be moved to a diff thread? Sorry to hear about the off level tank. You'll get it figured out

Yeah...I'm done, not going to argue with someone who knows everything there is to know about LEDs...as someone who has examined the different graphs between LEDs and actually sold cree/phillips/avago/everlight/dialight to manufacturers just to name a few I can tell you that you will want to continue researching and find what you can from the actual manufacturers and you'll learn there is a huge difference between all of them.

Yeah...I'm done, not going to argue with someone who knows everything there is to know about LEDs...as someone who has examined the different graphs between LEDs and actually sold cree/phillips/avago/everlight/dialight to manufacturers just to name a few I can tell you that you will want to continue researching and find what you can from the actual manufacturers and you'll learn there is a huge difference between all of them.

Come on now. This just pokes more...

So whats the plan fret? How are you going to level that behemoth?

Come on now. This just pokes more...

So whats the plan fret? How are you going to level that behemoth?

Sorry if it came off that way not meaning to...

How much is the tank off?

Archived