Top Shelf Aquatics

My 6 yr old son's first tank Nuvo 16

gqjeff

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Intank media baskets added today. Much better then stock for sure.

Yes, they are a must have for these tanks. Did you see the new Nuvo tank 24g? Looks like the 16 but larger. Also are you using the stock return pump? I switched to an Eheim 600 but am getting microbubbles non stop from it.

Yes I saw the 24 but in my sons room I knew the 16 was the right choice for him. Still using the stock pump. No plans on changing and if I did I would prob order another and split the returns and put ball valves on them to fine tune the flow. I figure it turns the tank over 15-20x an hr so that's good enough. There really is not a lot of water volume in the filter area so I could see this causing the overflows to work to hard and def lead to micro bubbles. I look at the filter area like a sump, to much flow is not an ideal situation. For in tank water movement I plan to use the mp10 or wp25. Thinking the mp10 will get the nod though.

Thanks.. Spin streams installed this morning and the IM rx should be here tomorrow. Skimmer is going nuts because I had my hand in the tank and bubbling like crazy again LOL.

Then I think we r down to just grabbing an mp10 for now and tunze nano ATO. Down the line I def see a light change out as well. I just like the functionality of the Vega.

th_F644ABD1-8378-44F8-8937-059113C7A000-

Looks like you got some premo LR. Any good hitchers on it?

Well been keeping an eye out and looking with lights off for any unwanted guest. Of course it supposed to be pest free but somewhere along the line that changes. Found a couple things last night so brought the mesoscope home tonight and snapped a few pics with the iPhone. Not bad really lol.

Little pest under different lighting.

D1B6AB38-6D7D-40B1-B8F1-626F1B9C599D-209

2F13FEAB-AEF7-4CB0-BA32-B092622B46FA-209

8D961E4B-57DC-4D5D-A6AA-8FBBADB498A4-209

DBEBC3D6-4ACF-4143-8D43-E2301E8A14B0-209

AA4C15F0-CF4E-49F9-9252-7F4C0133AC5E-209

They will be taken down tomorrow. Aptasia wand style lol

Well been keeping an eye out and looking with lights off for any unwanted guest. Of course it supposed to be pest free but somewhere along the line that changes. Found a couple things last night so brought the mesoscope home tonight and snapped a few pics with the iPhone. Not bad really lol.

Little pest under different lighting.

D1B6AB38-6D7D-40B1-B8F1-626F1B9C599D-209

2F13FEAB-AEF7-4CB0-BA32-B092622B46FA-209

8D961E4B-57DC-4D5D-A6AA-8FBBADB498A4-209

DBEBC3D6-4ACF-4143-8D43-E2301E8A14B0-209

AA4C15F0-CF4E-49F9-9252-7F4C0133AC5E-209

They will be taken down tomorrow. Aptasia wand style lol

Lol, that's crazy. Depending on where you get your real reef rock from I guess it could still have pests. There are a couple LFS's here that keep their RRR with other live rock which makes no sense and defeats the purpose of buying RRR.

TY Silver Bow for the great deal on the clowns. Ordered the sons clowns today. Wyoming white small and a Phantom medium.

Awesome, can't wait to see them.

Tanks chugging along. 9 days into zeo added a couple chalice corals I had sitting around lol. Tanks 12 days old to date. The last time I set up a zeo tank 8 yrs ago Inadded sps less then 2 weeks in and never really suffered any problems. Its fun to be back dabbling in a system I have confidence in. Plus showing my son the ins and outs. Param's r rock solid and zeo is chugging along. Shaping up early and added some Cuc's yesterday to take care if the little algae we have. It was fun going to the pet store with my son and his cousin yesterday too. He's been with me in the past but this time he was getting to pick stuff out for himself.

95E68A5A-EE8A-4502-B7F2-1B8890C70728-263

756DCA44-C985-44EC-B538-6B6BD16B63B0-263

02D85C43-1388-4BF9-BDEE-8A0D05274000-263

CF17617B-ABD6-4B4B-8535-9D135D04DF1E-263

Thanks man.. Skimmer is doing ok still throwing some micro bubbles and not getting any dark skimmate yet. Hoping it will chill out here soon. It went nuts again when we added the IM rx last week though and when we changed filter floss. Going to soak the filter floss in ro/di to see if that helps next time. We could always just shut the skimmer down for an hr or 2 as well I am sure. If it does not stop with the bubbles though in the next couple weeks I might grab the large gnome and check that out too. I need a good skimmer running zeo.

Thanks man.. Skimmer is doing ok still throwing some micro bubbles and not getting any dark skimmate yet. Hoping it will chill out here soon. It went nuts again when we added the IM rx last week though and when we changed filter floss. Going to soak the filter floss in ro/di to see if that helps next time. We could always just shut the skimmer down for an hr or 2 as well I am sure. If it does not stop with the bubbles though in the next couple weeks I might grab the large gnome and check that out too. I need a good skimmer running zeo.

How long has it been on the tank? Mine took about two weeks to really break in and start pulling out some nasty skimmate. You can always contact IM a well they are very helpful an if the skimmer isn't working how it should they are ery willing to back up their products.

Itss been running I think 12 days today. Ya I will let it break in a little bit longer and also take it out and soak it in vinegar and see if that helps. I have always ran huge skimmers in sump systems so never have dealt with micro bubble hell LOL. My wife even said she hates the bubbles. Heck I never even knew she knew we had tanks LMFAO

You can order the stuff from BRS. Its just window frame material and then some UV resistant mesh. I have a sweet top idea I hope to have done in a few weeks depending on the cost that is LOL... You may be able to buy one from "polyps222" in the FS section. For what the materials cost he builds them and shits them for not much more then the stuff would cost u. I used the small mesh as they r small fish in the Nuvo. He uses a larger mesh and its black and looks REALLY good too. I plan on painting this top black with krylon fusion paint to help it blend in better too.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/323269-custom-made-screen-tops/

Archived