ReefCleaners.org

My 6 yr old son's first tank Nuvo 16

gqjeff

Thanks. I got a sanus full motion rated for 60lb at bestbuy. You can get them cheaper online but I wanted to see it and make a couple measurements to make sure it would work in our situation. So far so good.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kfmmartin19
Very...VERY impressive!!! My dad started me reefing when I was about 6 as well, and we would breed seahorses together. I currently have a 210 SPS, 125 clam/lps/nps, and another 125 seahorseNPS. I've been fortunate enough to be reefing my entire life, thanks to my dad. SOme of my fondest memories of him is us working on the tanks together.

;)

nothing like some good ol' father/son time breeding seahorses; that's what I always say!

Skimmer churning away. Have to make a notch in the canopy or raise it up an inch or so. Just have to re drill the holes for the wall mount to do it. Give it a few days though and see if the skimmer settles down some after break in. Right now getting large bubbles as expected until the break in is over. Plus many micro bubbles as all

Skimmers do when new. Not to big of a deal but it does stick out of the water further them I anticipated when hanging the canopy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/gqjeff/A13C5387-1A08-43F7-9965-1744A4226BF7-13437-0000061956F39651_zps6315d403.mp4

I really love that aquascape! It just looks so natural and the placement of all the rocks is perfect. Great job! Those Nuvo tanks are becoming quite popular and I can see why.

Can't wait to see this thing stocked!

Thanks.. Day 3 with the IM skimmer and the micro bubbles have really settled down over the last day. Hoping to be micro bubble free in the sons tank soon.

Thanks.. Day 3 with the IM skimmer and the micro bubbles have really settled down over the last day. Hoping to be micro bubble free in the sons tank soon.

It shouldn't be too long until the micro bubbles are gone. Once they are gone you should be very happy with the skimmate it produces.

Wife comes home with a new air diffuser. I say give me that and about 10 min later could easily be an air driven skimmer lol..

12E59E64-712D-4451-8B3B-37816EA8CD1F-171

It's around 13" tall and 2.5" diameter.

97073045-CEB1-471F-A423-04846AE410DE-171

It was a container that housed the wood air diffusers that smell good. It would actually work for sure and be a super cheap DIY for someone. I am happy with the IM skimmer already but when I saw the container I was like hmmm. The cone was going into the container so I just pulled it out cut the top up some and was able to put it in with the cone up. Could easily make a cup for it too. As is it could be an air driven skimmer if u remove the bottom plastic or I could drill it add a pump and an exit and make a little needle wheel.

Looks like you got some premo LR. Any good hitchers on it?

Thanks,Its actually realreefrock.com I have not seen much life which is good as that's what we wanted. Anything that goes into the tank we will put it there. Nothing worse then spending a lot of time and money getting good rock and then have a plague of some unwanted pest down the line after its been set up for awhile. I have been testing po4 also and there has been no leaching from anything as po4 remains .01 with my HANNA HI 93713 Photometer.

Thanks,Its actually realreefrock.com I have not seen much life which is good as that's what we wanted. Anything that goes into the tank we will put it there. Nothing worse then spending a lot of time and money getting good rock and then have a plague of some unwanted pest down the line after its been set up for awhile. I have been testing po4 also and there has been no leaching from anything as po4 remains .01 with my HANNA HI 93713 Photometer.

Awesome. This is going to be a sweet little tank.

Looking great so far! I'm excited to see how zeo does on the tank. What are your thoughts on having a nem in such a small tank? I'm thinking about one for my clowns but with the sps I'm not so sure. I ask because I think you mentioned keeping a nem in your tank with sps.

I have housed many BTA's over the yrs and have found once they settle in unless there is a major change they usually do not move. Had one in my full blown sps 240 tank that never moved in 6 yrs. Have one in my 60 cube that has not moved since the second day I put it in. I usually try to put them where I want also and most of the time they end up very close to that original place.

I have housed many BTA's over the yrs and have found once they settle in unless there is a major change they usually do not move. Had one in my full blown sps 240 tank that never moved in 6 yrs. Have one in my 60 cube that has not moved since the second day I put it in. I usually try to put them where I want also and most of the time they end up very close to that original place.

I may try one then. Are you still using the Evo120w fixture? If so is it dimmable and if so what %'s are you planning to run it at once you get corals/nems in?

its old school just 2 channel for white and blue. No dimming at all just both on or 1 each at a time. Its a 20k look though. I will keep it for awhile but will prob upgrade it to a Vega with custom puck option this summer if hes enjoying it. I have a couple sol's and also a vega and have a couple diy fixtures I have made. On my Vegas on my 60 cube I am doing a slow acclimation as they torched many sps even on low settings. Any questions you have man feel free to ask.

its old school just 2 channel for white and blue. No dimming at all just both on or 1 each at a time. Its a 20k look though. I will keep it for awhile but will prob upgrade it to a Vega with custom puck option this summer if hes enjoying it. I have a couple sol's and also a vega and have a couple diy fixtures I have made. On my Vegas on my 60 cube I am doing a slow acclimation as they torched many sps even on low settings. Any questions you have man feel free to ask.

Was just curious because I also have a 120w fixture but it is dimmable. I only have Sps in the tank right now and I lost a few, but everything is looking good now. I'm just not sure what %'s I should running my light at. It has two channels and they ramp up to 25% on the blues and 45% on the whites/red/green.

Personally I would use more blues then the white/red/green I would run it the exact opposite of what you currently r. If they are bleaching they will loose color and get white in appearance from to much light. If they are having a lack of light they will brown out some. Also any optics of that fixture u have if so what *? Maybe check with a local and see about using a par meter or your local reef club if you have one. Rem though they say to add 30-35% to your readings using a standard par meter. I am currently trying to get someone that has a par meter and a scientific meter that reads the led's correctly to run some tests for me. I have had no luck yet with him doing it. I simply want to know if its true if we really do have to add 30-35% on top of the par levels using the standard par meter. If that is true I am actually getting roughly 260 par at the sand bed with my 120 watt fixture at 100% full on and 390 at the top of the rocks.

Archived