ZephNYC

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They still make diatom filters?

No. This is just a dream.

Stop posting pictures of discus, you're tempting me to get a heater. :P

I wish you would!!!! I would love to sell you some! :D

Awesome to see a discus update. How are the fry growing out for you?

These guys are untouchable. Ive been working on this line for 10 years and since I started using 100% RO water they wont stop spawning.

I just lerned that FosterSmith has bought out Pet Werehouse. First they bought out Flying fish express, now pet warehouse. WHos next Marine Depot ? I think they have some sort of agreement between them not to sell the seme stuff. Most of FS hardware is entry level. Marine Depot has the latest and greatest.

Back when I used to mess with discus it was a pain to grow them out because they required completely different water than the parents did for spawning. IME if the water was too soft ( great for spawning) the fry would not develop correctly.

Back when I used to mess with discus it was a pain to grow them out because they required completely different water than the parents did for spawning. IME if the water was too soft ( great for spawning) the fry would not develop correctly.

For sure!!! THis is why I use NYC tap water for the youngsters. :)

Im lucky in that uor tap is not THAT hard. Only about 100 ppm

Sweet! Look forward to seeing pics of those fry as they grow. Are you a beef heat guy? I hated the stuff, I was big on feeding a variety of quality flake foods and freeze dried black worms.

What do you feed the fry... After you got the technique "down" did you make a profit from discus or is it more for fun

I only work with breeders that tend to their Young properly. As Im sure youre aware of most discus eat their eggs, or their young, which is the biggest obstacle. I let the parents feed the fry via their slime coat, and when the babies are big enough to be eating live baby brine shrimp I remove them to their own tank.

I made more profit selling and breeding Discus then anything else when I had my business. Im thinking of getting back into it more these days.

Only way discus can really be profitable enough to invest into is if you go into large quantities, work with the right strains and have free water!!! IMO anyway.

Sweet! Look forward to seeing pics of those fry as they grow. Are you a beef heat guy? I hated the stuff, I was big on feeding a variety of quality flake foods and freeze dried black worms.

Oh yes...i feed them frozen beef heart every day, from the butcher usually. And my favorite flake food twice daily is brine shrimp direct beef heart flakes, that have a little garlic and spirulina in them. Discus are carnivores for sure, but they are also grazers and get allot of veggie matter in their wild diet, so i really like that in the flakes.

Zeph, do you have any empty valves from any of the smaller clams you've lost in the past? I want to give some to some of the science classrooms in my district. Most of them have some basic coral skeletons and shells, but no giant clam shells (and even the teachers have never seen nor heard of the 'giant' clams, wtf). I've only got four sets to give out, if you have any will you PM me?

Zeph, do you have any empty valves from any of the smaller clams you've lost in the past? I want to give some to some of the science classrooms in my district. Most of them have some basic coral skeletons and shells, but no giant clam shells (and even the teachers have never seen nor heard of the 'giant' clams, wtf). I've only got four sets to give out, if you have any will you PM me?

Sure thing, Ihave a bunch. I will grab a pic later today and show you.

???? Your trying to spawn clams :D omg no way

Ohhhh yeaaaaaa, but a big part of it appears to be natural sunlight. Looks like I will be converting my patio into a green house as soon as I win the lottery. ;)

I saw him on ReefBuilders. That must require a TON of work and money!

BIG TIME!!! WHen you spend that much $$ on critters you try very hard not to count.

Archived