ReefCleaners.org

BATMANS CLAM CAVE

ZephNYC

jedimaster1138

The trick is getting it into the basement. The largest tank I can get down the staircase is a 210, and that was almost impossible. I would have to have something constructed down there, and if i was going to do that I may as well shoot for the moon and go 400 - 500G right ??

MUUUUAUAUAUAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH!!!!

Oh I remember that stair case now. Bugger. That reminds me of the one in the wife's old building with that horrendous turn at the bottom.

Email Coast to Coast Aquariums in Jersey. They can build you something custom. It won't be cheap, but it will be what you want and they will work with you every step of the way. Their people are actually coherent via email too. When I was considering my upgrade I was speaking with them and the tank actually wasn't THAT expensive, but the stand/cabinetry was awful. I bet if you just go with one of their simple, non pretty steel stands, it won't be horrendous.

I think a 96x48 would look nice down there in the corner where your QT tank is :)

Continuing to enable!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait, it was that big already when you bought it?? Oh, I thought you grew it from baby or something close.

How big is it now? Post some new pictures of the giant clam? :)

• 2 months later...

Wait, it was that big already when you bought it?? Oh, I thought you grew it from baby or something close.

Well allrighty !!!!! I just moved her from the 125 she outgrew into a 210 gallon, so im ready to show !!! Pics later today for sure!!!

mor of dis plz

you got it..as soon as I return from the gym.

Do you fresh water dip your clams when you first get them? How do you "burp" them ?( lol I think it's called burping) do you do any other forms of QT

Is the giant red planet in this tank? Would love to hear more about it, care, maintenance, etc.

Yes it was for the last 5 years, but I just removed it and made 3 seperate tables and a crap load of frags. My red planets do good in bright light, not so bright...nearly anywhere I put it it thrives.

Do you fresh water dip your clams when you first get them? How do you "burp" them ?( lol I think it's called burping) do you do any other forms of QT

Definitely not, and I dont suggest anyone do so!!! SHipping stress compounded with a fresh water dip is not a good idea at all. When I do QT clams its only for 1 month, mostly because QT tanks are not conducive to maintaining clams for the long run. TO burp a clam just turn it upside down and shake it, then turn it again, and again, and shake it from all angles so no air pockets are stuck in there.

its about 30 inches :o

BB1_zps70e47757.jpg

...i purchased it about 8 years ago when it was about 20 inches.

Wow how much calcium does it use and how heavy is it

Put it this way, it was heavy enough that two big Italians could barely lift it into the tank, and in doing so we broke the brace holding the tank together. Note the bar clam directly above the clam. The good news is the bar clamp doesnt block the light, like the brace on the right side of the tank does, so Im going to rip that brace out ( wish me luck) and replace it with another bar clamp.

As for calcium she sucks it up like theres no tomorrow. All top off water is replaced with a heavy kalkwasser solution, but even thats not enough, so in addition I have to add 20 TSP of calcium chloride powder weekly. ( 10 TSP twice a week).

jedimasterben

I thought you had a bigass calcium reactor for the system?

Also, thought you might like this. check out that massive field of red goniopora!

I thought you had a bigass calcium reactor for the system?

Also, thought you might like this. check out that massive field of red goniopora!

I have, but not in years. I simplified this system to pretty much bare bones. Just a skimmer and one carbon/phosguard reactor, and thats it. Its just easier to add in some powder twice a week.

jedimaster1138

When the brace broke on me last week and I was frantically searching the internet for fixes, I did see some references to using acrylic - thick acrylic - to fashion a new brace. Obviously this requires some quantity of time, supplies and skill, but it can be done. I mention this in case you want to try that over the bar clamps, which are admittedly highly effective and saved my butt :) The obvious advantage to acrylic being that it's clear, but also doesn't stick out the front like the clamps. Heh

Stay sane brother.

When the brace broke on me last week and I was frantically searching the internet for fixes, I did see some references to using acrylic - thick acrylic - to fashion a new brace. Obviously this requires some quantity of time, supplies and skill, but it can be done. I mention this in case you want to try that over the bar clamps, which are admittedly highly effective and saved my butt :) The obvious advantage to acrylic being that it's clear, but also doesn't stick out the front like the clamps. Heh

Stay sane brother.

Actually that bar clam is on backwards, I'll turn it around one of these days. The good thing about this system is I dont worry to much about asthetics ( obviously !!!! LOL!!)However, I do plan on making it all "pretty" some day .

That clam is HUGE!

Shes my pride and joy. I once had a nightmare that someone stole her...I really did!

its about 30 inches :o

BB1_zps70e47757.jpg

...i purchased it about 8 years ago when it was about 20 inches.

This is awesome in so many ways! You could charge admission to see that clam! ;)

This is awesome in so many ways! You could charge admission to see that clam! ;)

I get a phone call once a year, every year, as I have for the past 4 years, from the Coney Island Aquarium telling me what a great contribution I would be making if I was to donate..yes D O N A T E - my gigas clam to their facility.

Talk about a LOL!!!! :lol:

D O N A T E - my gigas clam to their facility.

Talk about a LOL!!!! :lol:

Maybe if they were willing go pay for such a beautiful and large specimen they would have more luck acquiring stuff like that.

Still crazy that they wanted you to donate her.

We always speculated how much I could get for her on Ebay if I ever decided to sell it. I wouldnt even consider anything under 5K.

• 1 month later...

Zeph, sweet tank! I know you're all about the clams, but I'm loving those goniopora :happy:

drooling-emoticon.gif

Archived