Pod Your Reef

Official Mandarin and Dragonet Show off thread

metrokat

Mandarin Training  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Does your Mandarin Fish eat Frozen?

• Yes & I trained my mandarin
    • Yes & I had nothing to do with it
    • No
  2. 2. Answer this if you have a 2nd Mandarin Fish

• Yes & I trained my mandarin
    • Yes & I had nothing to do with it
    • No
    • I don't have a second Mandy

Tamb, do yours eat Dr. G's Caviar? Just ordered some and am hoping my pipefish and mandarins will eat it.

I haven't tried that one yet.

Oh man. That's rough. Umm. Maybe a reef club member has an idea of how to get it?

There was someone in MN who had like 10 extra packs of ova and offered to sell to someone and they didn't end up buying I don't think... and then I didn't get a PM back so that was crushing :(

They eat other foods but nothing keeps them in spawning condition for me like ova.

I think I found someone willing to sell me Ova, $20 a pack and a 2.5 hour drive but worth it to me.

Wow, congrats, that's totally worth it in my opinion. They don't have any more do they? ;)

Here's a little video featuring my mandarin pair, pipefish, and TSB. Please excuse the fuzziness; my camera is crap at focusing through the glass. Oh for a DSLR with manual focus and adjustable white balance!

• Like 5

But when did it expire?

I would assume it is from 9 months or so ago when Ova was available. My fish get stuck eating old food either way... :( I buy like a years worth at one time.

I have been stalking this thread, I love to see those beautiful dragnets! They are gorgeous but it seems at times heartbreaking...

One question, is the Ova you all talk about the NutraMar Ova or something else? Dr. Fosters and Smith have nutramar in stock, so it must be something else that is hard to get. Just wondering...

The one and the same...but it looks out of stock when I search for it. No bones about it though, I'd rather you be right and me just look incompetent. ;)

Basically if all other things are OK and your mandarin doesn't eat it...better check and see if the store sold you a plastic fish instead. Without it, you can find yourself back in the dark ages of "why won't it eat any foods"?

Obsessed Reefer

I have been stalking this thread, I love to see those beautiful dragnets! They are gorgeous but it seems at times heartbreaking...

One question, is the Ova you all talk about the NutraMar Ova or something else? Dr. Fosters and Smith have nutramar in stock, so it must be something else that is hard to get. Just wondering...

It says expected in 10/31/2014 :( , unless you found it somewhere else.

It says expected in 10/31/2014 :( , unless you found it somewhere else.

It probably won't even be then. They've been pushing back the date periodically since the shortage started. I called Foster and Smith and Marine Depot last week and both said they had no reason to expect it will be in stock anytime soon and that the listed dates are arbitrary. Definitely won't be getting another pipefish while the shortage lasts, might try another mandarin but it would make me pretty anxious.

:tears: :tears::tears:

Obsessed Reefer

It probably won't even be then. They've been pushing back the date periodically since the shortage started. I called Foster and Smith and Marine Depot last week and both said they had no reason to expect it will be in stock anytime soon and that the listed dates are arbitrary. Definitely won't be getting another pipefish while the shortage lasts, might try another mandarin but it would make me pretty anxious.

:tears: :tears::tears:

Damn, has anyone used anything different? I was really wanting to get a mandarin soon, but I need to have has many reliable food sources as possible.

Damn, has anyone used anything different? I was really wanting to get a mandarin soon, but I need to have has many reliable food sources as possible.

There is nothing with the success rate of ova that can be easily bought... if there was.. we could all stop complaining about ova haha. At this point you can more or less buy 1 of every food sold ever and pray it goes nuts for at least one of them.

maybe if you have a asian market you can get fresh roe from?

• Like 1

So, totally my bad! I didn't read the red line that said that it wasn't expected until....

Why can't they keep this in stock? Can shrimp be raised for roe? Maybe someone has a new venture in their future...

CronicReefer
So, totally my bad! I didn't read the red line that said that it wasn't expected until....

Why can't they keep this in stock? Can shrimp be raised for roe? Maybe someone has a new venture in their future...

There is currently a worldwide shrimp shortage due to a new disease. Shrimp farmers are no longer selling the roe because of this. =(

• Like 3

Mmmm I'm curious though where the so-called lobser eggs actually come from, and exactly why they are readily available in europe, but nobody seems to have picked up the trend in the US?

• Like 1
Obsessed Reefer

I ordered a fuge light which should be here Tuesday. Over the weekend I'm going to go pickup some Cheato and some pods to start seeding my tank. How hard is it to hatch baby brine shrimp? How long do they last for after they're hatched?

• Like 1