Cultivated Reef

Official Mandarin and Dragonet Show off thread

metrokat

Mandarin Training  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Does your Mandarin Fish eat Frozen?

• Yes & I trained my mandarin
    • Yes & I had nothing to do with it
    • No
  2. 2. Answer this if you have a 2nd Mandarin Fish

• Yes & I trained my mandarin
    • Yes & I had nothing to do with it
    • No
    • I don't have a second Mandy

JoeDigiorgio

Do one more feeding with the live brine and if she does that well again, jump straight to frozen for the next feeding. She will probably take to it surprisingly easily. As for the blackworms, I use them live all the time but I'm strongly considering starting to flash freeze them from here on out. They'll last longer and the fish seem not to mind if they're dead...so why not lol

• Like 1

Fed her frozen brine she ate a few of them, then she started eating and spitting. The positive here is that she was hungry enough to eat a few and that she continued to peck at the frozen brine even if she then spit them out.

What's next?

frozen brine one or two more times then some small mysis or whatever you want her to eat mixed in. ive never done it but ive read extensively about it so just my .02

I fed frozen brine again. She wasn't too interested, only ate one. Might not be too hungry. I'll try again in the morning. 12 hours should get her to be famished.

I want her to eat everything, pellets especially.

Good morning. Bella did not care for frozen brine after a 12 hour fast. :(

After the frozen brine, did you try other frozen options like the ova and cyclopleeze.

I did. She didn't care for it. She ate some frozen mysis with live brine.

Is she stressed in the breeder box. I know mine hates being in it. Ate nothing until he roamed free.

Fyi. I have to spoon feed Joe and feed only in the vicinity of where he is at. Good thing is that I trained him on the baster and follows the tube.

She's stressed but she's also eating. She's eating everything live and being very picky about the frozen. So far I've had repeated success with live and dead black worms mixed together, and live brine with frozen mysis mixed together.

• Like 1

She's stressed but she's also eating. She's eating everything live and being very picky about the frozen. So far I've had repeated success with live and dead black worms mixed together, and live brine with frozen mysis mixed together.

at least she's eating some frozen
  • Like 1

I had to make an emergency decision to release Bella back into the tank. I went over to her net to take some pictures to post here and found her nearly on her side and her coloration fading from some area. This has to be stress because she ate even this morning so it is not starvation.

20130514_103008.jpg

Within a few moments of releasing her, Draco found her. They both flared their fins but did not attack.

Keeping my fingers crossed that she recovers.

I hope she pulls though. I could not train my dragonet in a breeder net, he was severely stressed inside it. So much so that if you came anywhere near the tank he would smash his face into the sides at speeds I didn't know mandarins could do.

I never actually got him conditioned to a pipette or jar because he was just too scared. Instead he goes to a certain corner as soon as the pumps turn off and waits for the food to "rain down". Was really nervous about upgrading but it was fine.. he just picked a new corner.

He has gotten a lot less shy since I purchased him though and seems to really love the larger tank. He is quiet active.

She's doing much better, thank you for asking. Draco found her within a few minutes of her being back in the tank and they both were like "oh hello there". Somebody was chasing the other a few minutes ago but I don't know who it might be. I threw in live brine earlier, hopefully she got some. I have live pods from reef cleaners arriving today. Let's just see if maybe Draco can train her this time around.

• Like 2

Oh good someone bought these Moyer scooters on DD. I had been really struggling all morning not to spend 150 bucks on them. Prob would have if I didn't have to train them.

lg-0513131-371.jpg

• Like 4

She's doing much better, thank you for asking. Draco found her within a few minutes of her being back in the tank and they both were like "oh hello there". Somebody was chasing the other a few minutes ago but I don't know who it might be. I threw in live brine earlier, hopefully she got some. I have live pods from reef cleaners arriving today. Let's just see if maybe Draco can train her this time around.

How much do spend on pods over a course of time? Like $20 every 2 months as an example?

Oh good someone bought these Moyer scooters on DD. I had been really struggling all morning not to spend 150 bucks on them. Prob would have if I didn't have to train them.

lg-0513131-371.jpg

Was wondering about the diff between Moyer and reg red scooter.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/08/22/moyers-dragonet/

• Like 1

How much do spend on pods over a course of time? Like $20 every 2 months as an example

?

I had to re-seed the fuge in February after I transferred my tank. Before that I would get 2 bags of pods $20 every other month or so from reef cleaners.

I came really close to buying the Moyer's pair. If it had been just a male I probably would have done it!

Ya I would have jumped in it if it was just a male. 150 bucks and then pray I can train them both made me cautious. I hope they went to a good home.