Top Shelf Aquatics

Official Mandarin and Dragonet Show off thread

metrokat

Mandarin Training  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Does your Mandarin Fish eat Frozen?

• Yes & I trained my mandarin
    • Yes & I had nothing to do with it
    • No
  2. 2. Answer this if you have a 2nd Mandarin Fish

• Yes & I trained my mandarin
    • Yes & I had nothing to do with it
    • No
    • I don't have a second Mandy

Here is my mandarin named gimpy. He's got a bum right pectoral fin (It doesn't look torn but he never expands it). I felt kind of bad for him so I went ahead and bought him and trained him to eat frozen. I fed live brine first, then frozen brine, then bloodworms and finally mysis. Gimpy now gets bloodworms and mysis in his diner a few times a day where he will peck and peck until everything is gone.

Do these fish ever eat things out of the water column? Mine has to have its food sitting in front of him almost stationary before he eats it.

When I first got him he was skinny but he seems to have filled in a little. I would be interested in your thoughts as to whether he looks healthy or not as I have never had a mandarin before and I have trouble gauging their plumpness.

photo14_zps7300a031.jpg?t=1367606080

photo15_zpse192e8b9.jpg?t=1367606127

photo16_zps29478eb5.jpg?t=1367519756

• Like 2
JoeDigiorgio

He looks great to me :) as for eating from the water column, it's hard to say. Two of mine do, but only when the pumps are off and/or they're getting live brine as a treat. It's more like they are just too impatient to wait for the food to land because under normal circumstances they just wait on the bottom for food to land or for live brine to settle. They never chase anything down really, but they're also pretty spoiled as far as fish go lol

Grimpy looks very nice and happy. Draco gets a beer belly after every OVA and NLS pellet feeding but he wont eat from the water column, has to peck it off the surface if something. He looks at it this way and that till it settles.

JoeDigiorgio

JUST WATCHED MY PICTURATUS SPAWN!!!!! So many eggs everywhere lol and me completely unprepared to collect them let alone hatch them...I gotta get off my butt and get a copepod culture going.

• Like 2

JUST WATCHED MY PICTURATUS SPAWN!!!!! So many eggs everywhere lol and me completely unprepared to collect them let alone hatch them...I gotta get off my butt and get a copepod culture going.

Are you planning to raise the young? Is there any literature out there detailing the process? This sounds really cool, I would be interested in knowing how to do it.

JoeDigiorgio

I am planning on it. Easier said than done though. Now that they're spawning it should be almost a nightly thing so I'll have many more batches to work with. Once I get paid, I'm ordering A. tonsa and Tisbe copepods as well as T-Iso from seahorsesource so I can get cultures going. Once that's under way I'll start collecting and hatching eggs. Collecting and hatching is the easy part. Settlement is a challenge. I'll keep everyone posted as well as a thread on MBI.

• Like 2