Innovative Marine Aquariums

HOB 40 Breeder***Update 5/6.... New Growth Pics!

Roshan8768

Roshan8768
My cpr hob fuge/skimmer on the 40 keeps clogging up with hair algae which raises the water level and causes the built in skimmer to go crazy. Never have this issue with my DIY fuge. I'm about to take the lights off any go fugeless for a while.

Yeah I would probably do the same if the alternative was a leaking skimmer. I ran way too much phosphate removing chemical media the last time I did what you are talking about, so I'm going to stick with the fuge for now.

Ran some tests:

Alk: 8 dkH

Cal: 410 ppm

pH: 8.0

I ran a cup of water outside with a pump and measured the pH to 8.3-8.4 after 15 minutes, so clearly there's a little CO2 buildup inside the house. I'm not too worried about the pH at this point, but it would be nice to have it higher.

I also noticed that the green millie was starting to turn brown and show no polyp extension on the underside of branches and other shaded areas so I went ahead and moved it up even though I've only had it for 2 days. Hopefully, more light and flow will fix the issue.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My fuge is offline. Got my hand in there and dredged out all the crap, dumping a lot of it onto the tank which everything seemed to like. Lights unplugged, so everything else can die. I put a small bag of Phosguard in my AC110 and I'll change it out in a few days with another small bag unless I see any bad reactions.

Interesting about the co2. Our 25 year old house is leaky so hopefully we don't have an issue, but I never test PH anyway. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Roshan8768

So I finally glued all my frags down, ended up using a whole bottle of the loctite super glue gel, hopefully everything stays put!! Also, the blue millie had the really thin filamentous string type "polyps" extended earlier today. It's starting to color up and has encrusted a little bit more onto the frag plug.

Roshan8768

Just ordered a PicO Aquariums Surface Skimmer box for my AC110!!! :D Hopefully it helps get rid of the surface scum that builds up periodically. Also, can't beat free shipping :P

Just ordered a PicO Aquariums Surface Skimmer box for my AC110!!! :D Hopefully it helps get rid of the surface scum that builds up periodically. Also, can't beat free shipping :P

They are very nice, I got oe for each tank and have it installed on my 29. Filter sits a little crooked, even with the clip they provide, but I like it. Hmmm, maybe you're supposed to use a clip on each side to keep it straight?

Roshan8768

They are very nice, I got oe for each tank and have it installed on my 29. Filter sits a little crooked, even with the clip they provide, but I like it. Hmmm, maybe you're supposed to use a clip on each side to keep it straight?

Yeah they looked like quality and with free shipping I thought it was the right time to grab one. Do you think that playing with the original stabilizer that comes with the Aquaclear will help it sit straight? It could also be because of the thickness of the plastic trim on our rims... it looks they might have designed the product more for their style of rimless aquariums

Yep, I bet it would, and I bet using a clip on both sides of the filter would work as well, I just didn't think about it. Numerous size clips provided for just about every normal rim, but unfortunately it will not work on my 46 bowfront with a really thick rim.

Go go acros! :)

Looks like the blue one might be STNing, we'll see how bad the damage is this weekend :(.

Yeah the blue millie is completely gone. Tank has some nutrient issues at the moment which could be a cause so I plan on moving the green one to my pico as it'll likely have a better chance there. Thinking about lowering the flow and keeping this a LPS/softy only tank

As in the cell phone company?

???

http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Roshan8768/media/temporary_zpsbd717d36.jpg.html'>temporary_zpsbd717d36.jpg

http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Roshan8768/media/temporary_zps97a23d79.jpg.html'>temporary_zps97a23d79.jpg

http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Roshan8768/media/temporary_zps0437de96.jpg.html'>temporary_zps0437de96.jpg

I scraped off all the coralline on my tank walls... hadn't done that on the side and back glass since startup. Will be moving what's left of my SPS to the pico and leaving everything else be till August. I might get a clam later on for this tank, but it'll be mostly softies and zoas from here on out. Maybe some more LPS depending on how my hammer and acan go from here on out

Roshan is an Afghan Cell phone company. Never heard of it used in other context. Tank looks great too btw :)

That's too cool man, I had no idea!! Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Roshan8768

I installed my PicO Aquariums surface skimmer box today and couldn't be happier. It added no noise to my system and has already gotten rid of the pesky surface scum that I had even with tons of flow going on in my tank.

I'm thinking about pulling the clownfish... they don't really get along and are starting to beat up on the other fish in the tank. If I do so, I'll probably trade in the chromis as well if I can catch it. I also want to pull the Mandarin Dragonet... thinking about giving him to someone with a bigger tank. I've had him for about 6 months and he's still alive so clearly he's getting enough to eat, but I just feel like he'd be happier in a bigger tank. So the revised stocking plan is:

1 Tailspot Blenny

1 Yellow Tail Damsel

1 Lubbocks Fairy Wrasse

I might add a small yellow tang for a while if I can find a healthy one in good shape

Make sure the Tang is eating at the store and feed it lots of greens (algae wafers, nori, algae flakes) and it should thrive IMO. Sorry about your SPS. I suspect your alk got too low or not enough nutrients. Corals will brown out in high nutrients, but not die, at least in my experience.

Roshan8768

Must be the alk, it can't be the nutrients, I've got good growth in my chaeto and caulerpa plus there's a light covering of algae on my glass every couple of days if I don't use the Mag Float. I've been using the Tropic Marine salt since July or last year or so, and I feel like there hasn't been as much growth as when I was using Oceanic for the two years before then. My Tropic Marine mixes to Ca: 410-420 and Alk: 7-8 dKh. I think my Oceanic used to mix Ca:450-460 and Alk: 7-8 so a little different, but can't possibly be the deciding factor

With sps you have to dose, no choice, so be ready. Coralline algae by itself will cause a 1kh daily drop, again in my experience. Test kh daily, same time every day, to determine usage.

Roshan8768

With sps you have to dose, no choice, so be ready. Coralline algae by itself will cause a 1kh daily drop, again in my experience. Test kh daily, same time every day, to determine usage.

You really think that the amount of coralline algae in my tank would use up 1 dkH of alk in a given day?? Hmm... need to get better test kits, might pick up some red sea ones later this weekend. I also plan on trading in a bunch of the Anthelia and getting some store credit hopefully

You really think that the amount of coralline algae in my tank would use up 1 dkH of alk in a given day?? Hmm... need to get better test kits, might pick up some red sea ones later this weekend. I also plan on trading in a bunch of the Anthelia and getting some store credit hopefully

Get the salifert kh kit if you can, I find it the easiest to use. The red sea has one less step, no drops of dye, but the color change was often unreliable for me.

Roshan8768

Get the salifert kh kit if you can, I find it the easiest to use. The red sea has one less step, no drops of dye, but the color change was often unreliable for me.

Didn't have it, so I ended up buying nothing :/ Hopefully, they have some of either the Elos or Salifert in stock next time (they usually have both)

In other news, I traded in the frag of Anthelia shown here to my LFS

http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Roshan8768/media/temporary_zps7d3de3de.jpg.html'>temporary_zps7d3de3de.jpg

For this guy:

http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Roshan8768/media/temporary_zpsf2be1ecc.jpg.html'>temporary_zpsf2be1ecc.jpg

I believe he is a "grade A" Derasa clam, approximately 2.5 inches long. He is currently attached to a rock that I have partially buried in the sand. Hopefully he is happy there and extends his mantle a little better tomorrow. He looked in great shape at the store, and for $10 plus the Anthelia credit I felt it was a steal

• 2 weeks later...

This tank...

Apparently the salinity dropped to 1.021 over the last week. I have no idea how that would happen since water is only added as it evaporates and the salinity was 1.025 last Friday...

Needless to say some of the corals were less than happy with this abrupt change in water chemistry. The hammer frag I've had for a year and a half now is completely gone. The zoas are pissed, but hopefully will recover. I'm surprised that the clam is still alive.

I will probably pull all the zoa frags from this tank and throw them in my Pico for the next month or so until I can get some degree of stability in this tank. The parameters look good other than salinity... Ca:440 Alk: 8 dKh. Pretty bummed but hopefully things will turn around soon

• 5 weeks later...

Fixed all salinity issues and have had all parameters stable for about a month now. Cut the lighting to approximately 8 hrs every day and all the corals look much happier. The neon green clove polyp is showing good growth, and the leathers and new paly frag are doing well. Also added a new fish and plan on trading in the clowns since they don't get along at all. Maybe I will get a bonded pair in the future, maybe a different species as well... Pink skunks?

Also, clam is still alive and has grown some new mantle, not too much noticeable growth of the shell yet, but I'm sure that'll change with the more stable parameters.

I'd also like to point out that I've had the Mandarin for almost 6 months now? I believe I picked it up in May when I traded in the Butterfly. I have yet to see it anything that I put in the tank, but it looks in good shape. Was pretty skinny when I got it, and it has definitely filled out since. Not fat by any means, but clearly the live rock in my 3 year old tank + the AC110 fuge are enough to sustain this lil guy

Archived