inTank Media Baskets

HOB 40 Breeder***Update 5/6.... New Growth Pics!

Roshan8768

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice pics.

Fatten that tang up and I think he will be fine, he's still a little skinny. That head on shot above shows he's way to skinny. He should be nice and round. Get some cheap algae flakes and sprinkle them in whenever you can, he'll gobble them up. They can eat almost constantly so the more the better. I also like to get the garlic laced flakes or dip them myself in garlic. No miracle cure, but it does seem to make the fish healthier.

Nice pics.

Fatten that tang up and I think he will be fine, he's still a little skinny. That head on shot above shows he's way to skinny. He should be nice and round. Get some cheap algae flakes and sprinkle them in whenever you can, he'll gobble them up. They can eat almost constantly so the more the better. I also like to get the garlic laced flakes or dip them myself in garlic. No miracle cure, but it does seem to make the fish healthier.

Yes, I have been working on feeding more the last 2-3 weeks I'm feeding NLS pellets 2-3 times a day and nori every other day. Also feeding some kind of frozen twice a week. He's definitely better now than 12-14 days ago. Hopefully this combined with the Vitamin C dosing cures any issues with the HLLE.

Yes, I have been working on feeding more the last 2-3 weeks I'm feeding NLS pellets 2-3 times a day and nori every other day. Also feeding some kind of frozen twice a week. He's definitely better now than 12-14 days ago. Hopefully this combined with the Vitamin C dosing cures any issues with the HLLE.

He needs algae though, every day. That's why I suggested the flakes. :)

My koralia pumps came in. They sent me back 2 new 850s in place of the crummy 750s I sent them. Fantastic custoer service and props to them!

I'm only using 1 atm... swapped it with the maxijet. Noticeably more flow, and the standing wave is still present. I also sold the xenia rock in the front left to make room

I'm thinking about putting my Eheim autofeeder on this tank to help me feed more, probably some NLS Thera +, some NLS Flakes, and some Formula 2 flake as well for the tangs. I'm planning on starting at the smallest setting with maybe 2-3 feedings. Just need to rig up something to keep the food from going down the overflow...

Currently debating between this:

http://www.marinedepot.com/Clips_Feeding_Stations-Ocean_Nutrition-ON1151-FIFDFECF-vi.html

and DIYing something with acrylic.

This would up my feeding regime to the autofeeder 2-3 x a day + nori once a day + frozen weekly. Thoughts?

I use some battery operated feeder when I leave the tank for more than a day or so. I haven;t used it with an overflow yet but I do have one of those feeding station contraptions.

I think when I automate it I might stick with sinking pellets rather than flake. When I feed flake I put my hand in the tank and let go of the flakes in front of an MP40. This keeps most of them out of the overflow.

I use some battery operated feeder when I leave the tank for more than a day or so. I haven;t used it with an overflow yet but I do have one of those feeding station contraptions.

I think when I automate it I might stick with sinking pellets rather than flake. When I feed flake I put my hand in the tank and let go of the flakes in front of an MP40. This keeps most of them out of the overflow.

If I was at home... I wouldn't be considering this. Unfortunately, my tank is not with me for most of the year. I may move it in the future, but for now it stays at my parent's house. I'll have to test it out to see how it goes with the feeding station to see if the flake sinks like it's supposed to.

At this point, my major concern is that I have a feeling that I will end up with my wrasse on the floor if I put this on my tank. For it to work on my setup, I would have to leave the back left opening uncovered, maybe a 2" x 2" area for the food to drop into the ring. I've picked her up of the floor on 2 occasions right after feeding, as she has a tendency to jump if spooked by another fish while going for some food that's on the surface. This is a smart fish as well, so she will most likely learn to wait under the ring around the times of day the feeder operates, and she may "jump" in anticipation of getting to the food :wacko:

Decisions, decisions :lol:

I think I have solved my fish jumping issue with the auto feeder... just ordered some BRS 1/4 inch netting for a grand total of $5 :P shipping with their $10 off coupon. I should be able to replace the window screen in my current frame with this netting resulting in more light, while keeping the fish in, and most importantly allowing the food to fall through

They slowly withered away after they bleached when I got new lights :mellow:

Thats a bummer. I have a red and green bta and enjoy them.

I think I have solved my fish jumping issue with the auto feeder... just ordered some BRS 1/4 inch netting for a grand total of $5 :P shipping with their $10 off coupon. I should be able to replace the window screen in my current frame with this netting resulting in more light, while keeping the fish in, and most importantly allowing the food to fall through
I have used egg crate (light difuser) paimted black and cut to size to sit on tank lip with great succes. Allows plenty of light and food to fall through.

Thats a bummer. I have a red and green bta and enjoy them.

I have used egg crate (light difuser) paimted black and cut to size to sit on tank lip with great succes. Allows plenty of light and food to fall through.

I may or may not try BTAs again in the future. Need to get my current corals thriving first though.

That egg crate may let enough light through for you, but I guarantee you it's blocking a significant amount as well. You must have powerful lights. Also, fish are plenty capable of jumping though eggcrate

I may or may not try BTAs again in the future. Need to get my current corals thriving first though.

That egg crate may let enough light through for you, but I guarantee you it's blocking a significant amount as well. You must have powerful lights. Also, fish are plenty capable of jumping though eggcrate

I have not lost a fish to the egg crate yet but do agree it cuts down on lighting . I don't use it much anymore because I was tired of taking it off the top. Been going open top and crossing fingers.

Some day I need to get my profile set and put together a thread of my own. Been a creeper for a while. Thanks for sharing your tank and experiences. Must be hard to be away from it when your st school.

Got the new screen top with the BRS quarter inch netting installed and rigged up the Eheim autofeeder with a float ring. Tank looks good with decent growth from most of the softies, especially the Anthelia, GSP, and Devil's hand. LPS and zoas look happy enough, but not too much growth is visible

• 1 month later...

FTS:

DSC_0037_zpsgqcmk4vo.jpg

Zoas:

DSC_0043_zpssargzsk3.jpg

DSC_0049_zpsgjqzupak.jpg

Kenya tree getting blasted with flow lol

DSC_0040_zpsercc9mps.jpg

PO'd pipe organ:

DSC_0046_zpspkr6mez9.jpg

New Duncan's I picked up this week

DSC_0047_zpsbawcufe9.jpg

Paly's growing slowly

DSC_0050_zpsmfl9hazb.jpg

RHS

DSC_0053_zps8eqnvqya.jpg

Devil's Hand growing well

DSC_0051_zps3euuwbty.jpg

View from the end:

DSC_0054_zpsct0kezkf.jpg

Lol tried to take a pic of the trumpet... damn camera hogs

DSC_0055_zps0lxtxbqv.jpg

DSC_0058_zpsq61evoql.jpg

Any ideas on what seems to be ailing the green zoas with the yellow centers? I think not enough light

DSC_0057_zpsufqqjnof.jpg

Nice and clean, looking good.

I love the shot with all the fish trying to photobomb! :D

They're all absolute clowns! As soon as the camera comes out they want to be in the shot... when people come over and they want to see all the pretty fish they hide. Go figure :D

Roshan, how are you doing with the two tangs? I'm tempted to add another tang to my 90 but I'm worried the new one will fight with my established kole.

Roshan, how are you doing with the two tangs? I'm tempted to add another tang to my 90 but I'm worried the new one will fight with my established kole.

They fought it out for a bit. Yellow is definitely the more dominant one even though it is smaller, but honestly they are good buds now provided they get enough food. I think you would probably be fine. Which one were you thinking of getting?

They fought it out for a bit. Yellow is definitely the more dominant one even though it is smaller, but honestly they are good buds now provided they get enough food. I think you would probably be fine. Which one were you thinking of getting?

Been thinking about a zebrasoma (yellow, most likely), or a rabbitfish. Kinda leery of a rabbitfish though, I read they eat meaty corals.

• 2 weeks later...

Been thinking about a zebrasoma (yellow, most likely), or a rabbitfish. Kinda leery of a rabbitfish though, I read they eat meaty corals.

I would stick with the tang, but maybe try something a little less common than the yellow?

I love my Tomini, but the yellow eyed kole, or even the purple might do well in your tank. I would definitely do a baby chevron for a while in a 90 if I could find one for a decent price. My favorite tang for sure

Came home to a greater amount of coralline growth than usual. Doing a quick waterchange tomorrow, after blasting the sandbed and flushing any built up debris. I still feel like the tank still has way too much flow for the soft corals I have... none of my LPS open up unless put on the sides where there is no flow with my current arrangement.

• 2 months later...
ReeferReefer

Is the Yellow Tang going to stay in your tank? I'd love to do some similar stocking on my 40 breeder tank but I worry about the long term health of the tang. Thinking Ill go with a Kole tang isntead since it wont be pushing it as much.

Archived